CairnTalk

Possible Anal Gland Removal

beccadiane374

The doc said the surgery went very well & Tanner did great. ? We had a pretty rough night last night, as I think he's a bit confused, as well as being in pain. He very much wants to lick the wound, but obviously can't. He seems almost terrified of the comfy cone, so we've not been able to use that, but the diapers are definitely helping limit his ability to reach the area. He's gotten a little snappy with me a few times, so I know he's irritated by it, but he is on a pain/swelling reducer & antibiotic. We are doing a lot of cuddling & hoping for an easy, quick recovery. I know the first few days will be hard, but hopefully we'll get over the hardest part sooner versus later.

The top picture is from last night;  bottom is from this morning (he wanted his belly rubbed.) ???

IMG_9654.JPG

IMG_9661.JPG

Edited by beccadiane374
  • Like 8
Becky & Tanner

Thanks for the update (and pics). Recovery can be hard to watch when we want them well so badly. On the plus side, these are hardy dogs and they constantly surprise at how fast they can recover. Hang in there, both of you :) 

• Like 7

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club 

I know how it breaks your heart to know that Tanner is uncomfortable but he'll bounce back in no time at all.  I prescribe lots of belly rubs and love.:hug:

Oh boy those pictures put me in Mummy mode.... and I am not even one!

Hope his recovery is swift and that he will be back to his old self in no time.:hug:

• Like 1

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Adventures with Sam &Rosie

Thank you all ?

Last night was was definitely better than Wednesday night. I can tell when we're nearing the end of the dose of pain meds, as he gets more grumbly & wants to lick more the last couple of hours before the next dose. I do have some leftover Tramadol from his last abscess that I may call today & see if I can use along with the Rimadyl. He's used them together before, so it should be okay.

Since he won't tolerate a cone, someone suggested using a towel (see picture) which seems to help. He can get to the wound if he really, really wants to, but it does make it harder. And he is able to sleep with the towel on and sat outside last night for almost an hour with it on & didn't seem bothered by it. Also, as you can see, he's fairly comfortable with the diapers, too.

The wound itself is looking better, as well. ?

IMG_9683.JPG

IMG_9665.JPG

• Like 7
Becky & Tanner

It must hurt to go potty I would think. I think I would be grumpy also . Glad he is feeling a bit better. He looks awesome!

• Like 2

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Adventures with Sam &Rosie

It's definitely a good sign that he sat outside for so long yesterday and is being a good boy - for the most part, at least.  Will he have to have any stitches removed or are they the dissolving stitches?

• Like 1

I do think it's quite painful when he tries to go potty. It's the only time he bleeds, as well. He has stitches that will have to be removed next Wednesday.

I tried an inflatable collar, but it wasn't very useful. I could get it on him, but he was still able to reach the wound.

We've spent a lot of time cuddling over the past few days...think it's been good for both of us. ? We've also gone on a few walks.

IMG_9708.JPG

• Like 3
Becky & Tanner

Tanner looks so much better than his first pics.  When do you go back to the vet?  Hang in there sweet Tanner.  Glad you and mom are having lots of snuggle time.:hug:

• Like 2

Elsie, Max, Meeko & Lori

Things should get better soon. If you keep him away from the butt the better off he will be. Of course he will want to mess with it. So far it looks like you are taking care of him very well.

• Like 2

The vet saw Tanner today; he is not healed up enough for the stitches to come out yet, so they'll recheck on Friday. ?

He does wear a cone while he's there during the day, but it took 4 people to get it on him & it has to go behind his collar so he can't get it off. He doesn't wear the cone at home because, well...I'm one person, not 4. So we're just keeping up with the cuddling so he doesn't lick. (Hey...it's worked so far!)

Thanks, everyone! ?

IMG_9753.JPG

• Like 5
Becky & Tanner

Just wanted to give an update on Tanner - he got his stitches out on Friday. Doc said the wound was still pretty raw, so we are still keeping a close eye on him to keep him from licking. He was able to return to Doggie Daycare yesterday & seems to be thrilled with that. ?  Overall, he's doing pretty terrific. He's still wearing the diapers at night in case he happens to start licking & I don't wake up (sleep for the past 2 weeks has been pretty light & sporadic for me). We both thank you for the support & well wishes! Now we are just waiting for a complete recovery & happier, more comfortable days ahead! 

IMG_9770.JPG

IMG_9779.mov

• Like 5
Becky & Tanner