CairnTalk

Crate trained Cairn now growls and barks at night

Robyn P

Hi everyone. I am new to this forum, and also a fairly new carin owner. Neither my husband or I have ever owed a dog before Teddy. We live in a small condo space.

My husband and I got Teddy last year and immediately crate trained him. We both worked during the weekdays so Teddy would be walked in the morning, my husband would come home at lunch and walk him, I would walk him when I got home in the evening and then once more before bedtime. 

Teddy is now a 1 year and 3 months old and he has started giving us bedtime issues. He has always slept in the crate and always knew that after the evening walk to go straight into the crate. He would sleep quietly through the night until around 7:30am. 

Recently, after the last walk, he will start growling and barking 5-10 mins after the crate being closed. Sometimes he will be ok after we lock the crate, but then wake up at midnight or later wailing! There have been a few times I have been up with Teddy until 2:30/3:00 am before he's ok to go back into the crate again. 

It doesn't happen nightly, but often enough for it to be bothersome. 

The only thing that has really changed over the year is that I am home during the day because I am currently seeking work. Teddy is out of the crate all day, but he sleeps next to me on the couch most of the day until I take him for his mid-day walk. It don't know if the sleeping during the day thing is the issue because when he was crates all day when I was also working, I'm sure he slept all day in the crate.

I don't know if the barking at night is a separation anxiety, or pent up energy because he sleeps all day, but any advice would be welcome. 

Thanks in advance!

Edited by Robyn P

Welcome to the forum, and life with Cairns. I hope you will find it as wonderful as hI have.

Addie (age 5) is my first dog as an adult (my family did have dogs, including 2 terriers, growing up). 

Like Teddy, Addie had been crate-trained from almost birth (actually by her rescue group), and her crate was a sanity saver throughout her puppyhood, where she napped after destroying things into exhaustion, and where she slept a peaceful 8 hours each night. 

By just before her first birthday, she started to settle into what I thought was a slow calm down into maturity. I was wrong. When Addie was around 1 and until she was about 2 she experienced her teenage rebellion. 

Rebellion involved her selectively unlearning basically everything I taught her (except thankfully potty training). She ignored commands, visibly defied me, and would have temper tantrums upon being put in her crate. For a few weeks I, like you, suffered sleepless nights as I attempted to calm her down. Until I posted something very similar on this forum and the experienced owners educated me: I suspect Teddy is taking advatange of you and testing your boundaries, as any terrier worth the name will at that age. 

What worked for me was placing firm limits on Addie's behavior and enforcing it. When she went into her crate, she stayed in that crate until it was an acceptable hour to come out. Of course I made sure all her basic needs were met (had she had enough water, did she actually need to go potty, was she hurt), but once she drank and pottied she went in the crate. She cried and screamed and scratched and howled and I put ear plugs in and held firm. It only took a few days for her to realize being a brat wouldn't earn her escape and we both learned a valuable lesson: Addie thrives on the security of knowing what the rules are and knowing they will be enforced. She became a less grumpy, tired, challenging dog and grew into a steady companion. Of course she still likes to bend the rules (she is a terrier, and that's part of the fun of it!) but she also knows which rules are firm and takes comfort in having boundaries.

I'll see if I can dig up my original post from that time. 

Believe it or not, you'll look back on and miss these days, and you'll look down and see a wonderful and charming friend at your side.

EDIT: Here's my post when Addie had her first round of crate protests (her second round involved peeing in her crate at age 2-3, oh my): 

Edited by _whits_
  • Like 4

"as far as i am concerned cairns are the original spirit from which all terriers spring, and all terriers are cairns very deep down inside." pkcrossley

Although I will note it never hurts to keep a terrier tired (mind and body). Two things that greatly helped me through Addie's rebellion were doggie daycare occasionally and treat puzzles. The doggie daycare helped tire her out and allowed other dogs to teach her doggie limits. And treat puzzles helped challenge her brain. I'll try to look up a post on those things too.  

EDIT: Here's a post on treat puzzles 

here's a post on temper tantrums (leash-related but has good general advice): 

Edited by _whits_
  • Like 1

"as far as i am concerned cairns are the original spirit from which all terriers spring, and all terriers are cairns very deep down inside." pkcrossley

Yup, I would say Teddy is enjoying having you around.  He thinks mom changed her habits so why can't I?  They are clever little dogs with attitude.  If I was Teddy I would be doing the same thing - push the limits. :)  Teddy sounds like a typical cairn - love them.  I like the food puzzles idea and more play time to wear him down.  Maybe there is a room Teddy would be safe in and you could graduate him during the day to a play room with a gate. Teddy will change constantly as he grows.  Would like to see Teddy is you have a pic.  Good luck. 

• Like 3

Elsie, Max, Meeko & Lori

Agree  with above. Teddy sounds like a typical cairn acting typically for his age. I did not have crate difficulties  with Angus but plenty, plenty others. The cute little fella that had learned every thing I taught him so fast turned into a rebellious teenager wanting everything HIS way. It becomes decision time - either he is boss or you are. 

Best thing I found is like whits says is - set limits and stick to them. It will be very hard at first but if you persevere things will work out. Getting mad won't help but patience and a sense of humor will. It will take time but you will be rewarded by having the best little bud a person could want.

Also think plenty of exercise mentally as well as physically helps tremendously. Hide and seek with toy treat or you, fetch a toy ball or whatever. Join a beginners obedience class if there is one in your area that will tolerate terriers. Is there somewhere you can walk him on a long leash? Somewhere he can meet and play with other dogs at a park or doggie day care?

Cairns are energetic little dogs mentally and physically and need an outlet for that.

We always long for pics of cairn friends. Hope you can post a Teddy pic when you have a minute.

• Like 4

So my question is, why crate him at night? Is he being destructive, soiling or ? If not why not let him be with you? I am not a huge fan of crating after the initial puppy training period. We always start off with our pups being put in an x-pen with a crate placed in that. They can freely go into the crate when they want. When potty training is in place, our terriers have always had the run of the house. Its not that I am anti crate, I just don't see a reason for it once the dog is trained . I love our dogs with us at night.

• Like 1

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Adventures with Sam &Rosie

Echoing terrier lover, once Addie was trustworthy with both her potty training and not being destructive, I stopped crating her at night.

Addie has slept in my bedroom freely since about 2 1/2. I still crate her when I leave the house, but only because she gets very very anxious when I leave her out and alone. She acts a lot more calm and comfortable when she's crated whilst I'm gone  

Her crate is in my bedroom and she's free to enter and leave it at night and whenever I'm with her at home. She likes to start her nights off in there and then join me in the bed later on.

But I will note that she was nearly 3 before I trusted her not to destroy things. 

Thank you all so much for your help Teddy has calmed at night and so have we. Whew!  Here's a pic of the little rascal!

IMG_1762.JPG

Edited by Robyn P
  • Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

Teddy is adorable! I have two cairns and have good luck with them being crate-trained. They have sought respite in their crates throughout the day as I leave the door open. I, too, lost my job a few years ago and am home with them. My little girl stays by my side consistently, while the boy stays in his crate. I close the door at night for them both (always have).

It sounds like to me that Teddy just wants your attention. Like my Trinity, now that I am home, if I leave her downstairs with the gate up, she barks. I come down, she stops. It is a way of calling mom! Continue to work with Teddy in the crate. It is a great thing to have when you are not home and when a pup is ill and needs to be confined to one area.

I think Trinity took about two years off my life during her puppy days as a little terror but I wouldn't take anything for her now as we settle into her senior years (13, 3 mo.). Since she was recently ill, she sleeps in my room with me, in her crate (door closed).

Good luck with Teddy!

Edited by gd4