CairnTalk

Neutering Age

Rate this topic

Rylee's mama

Hey, y'all I haven't been on the forum in what seems like forever. But, today is Rylee's 7 month birthday ?. What age should I get him neutered at? He is getting a little teenager attitude and being more stubborn than usual. Anyways I am glad to get back on the forum!

I think I would go to your vet and see what they recommend. There are different opinions cropping up. Traditionally around 7 to 9 months would be the norm.

Edited by Terrier lover
  • Like 3

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Adventures with Sam &Rosie

I don't have any advice on neutering. I got Malcolm from a shelter at 1 year old. His previous owner had him done but I don't know when. I think 7 months would be fine but I'm no expert.

As far as the little teenager attitude that will happen whether they are neutered or not. Stubborness is part of the Cairn personality. They will grow out of it and it takes a while. The stubbornness will never go away completely.

Edited by Malcolm's Dad
  • Like 4

• 4 years later...

I got my last pup from the animal shelter, and they gave me a coupon to have him neutered for free at the county Spay & Neuter Clinic -- as long as I had it done within a month.  So, obviously, I made an appointment right away.  I suspect they would've let me stretch the date, if it had been better for the animal. 

Completely different topic:  I felt really good about using the Spay & Neuter Clinic.  ALL THEY DO is spay & neuter, so they're experts.  I'd make the same choice in a minute, even if I didn't have a free coupon.

I'd do whatever the vet recommends.  He or she has seen your actual animal and can consider breed and specifics.

• Like 1