CairnTalk

Help with aggressive Cairn Terrier

denida

Hi. I addopted a Cairn Terrier from SPCA 3 weeks ago. We think he is about 5 years old but not sure. He has been showing some aggressive behavior towards man (unprovoked) but has always been calm and wonderful with my son and I. We thought that maybe he was abused by a man or something terrible happened to this poor little thing. This dog is fully trained, he was someone's pet that ran away and since he didn't have a chip he ended up at SPCA. Today my son (8 years old) and I were sitting on the couch watching TV and my son was looking very close at his face fascinated by how dog tears harden around the edge of the eyes. The dog was making growling noises but we thought he was snoring because he has never growled at us. He was not showing any other signs. Than he tried to nip my son's finger so our reaction was to JUMP from the couch. The dog started barking at my son and started biting his pants. Did not bite him (thankfully) but it was very scary to see. I am not one of those people that will put dog before my child, so naturally my first instinct is to return him to the SPCA and explain to them he can't be trusted around kids.

What should I do? My son is very attached to this dog even though he has only been with us for 3 weeks. Is this type of behavior fixable with training? Also I need to mention that this happened the same day I had to lock the dog in my room because my next door neighbor was getting her house remodeled. A couple of construction man were walking near our house and this dog would not stop barking/growling at them. I was working from home and my only option was to lock him in my room since I could not talk on the phone with my customers. 
HELP!

Edited by denida
  • Like 1

Hi Denida. Welcome to Cairn Talk.  

There may still be hope for your little Cairn and your son. Some dogs just don't like having their face touched particularly around the eyes. If he is having matter build up around his eyes I would ask the vet for the best way to take care of them while getting him used to having his face  touched. It will take time. 

The barking will take more time and help of a good trainer. My Molly barks uncontrollably at squirrels and some other dogs. We are working with a trainer to get her to 'leave it' when it comes to other dogs. We also use a kennel to help calm her down at home. I use the travel kennel and I put a blanket over it. If she cannot she what she was barking at she starts to calm down. It does need to be a kennel so it resembles a cave when covered. Giving treats in the 'cave ' help makes it their safe spot. Cairns are smart and witty. They will push boundaries until they know where they stand. Be firm and consistent and they will be loyal.  My Molly gets along great with my son and his friends. And my son enjoys learning to take care of her and train her.  

You came to the right spot for help.

• Like 1

"... he has only been with us for 3 weeks. "
That is not enough time to judge an adult Cairn rescue so my advice would be to give the dog a bit more time, and room before making a final determination of his suitability in your family.
We have adopted two adult Cairns over the years and both were challenges for the first few months before a set of mutual understandings between the dogs and the humans were reached.
Now the biting has to stop and our method was the "alpha roll" and employing the use of very forceful and loud commands during the "roll" and while the dog was settling down while on its side.  That may not be the best choice for you but it was effective for us to stop snapping.
The barking is easy to control if you know the triggers for the vocalization and can anticipate the dog's reaction to those triggers.  We have stopped most barking with our dogs using, again, loud commands and actions (touching, getting in front of, clapping hands, and in my case, throwing my baseball cap at the dogs), distracting them as much as we can from whatever they initially were excited over.  Now, only someone on the deck at the door is motivation enough for them to continue barking--nothing with Cairns and Cairn training is 100%--these are not subservient toady dogs that "go along to get along" with humans but if you make yourselves somewhat "bigger" than the Cairn personality, after a bit, things do go well.  Cairns take strong ownership and that means you have to take charge of the Cairn--once done then you are off on a delightful ride of having a dog that is simply canine magnificence in a small package.
Finally, one thing I have learned about Cairns is that the very first "command" they need to know an obey is the word "NO!", once they understand the meaning and finality of that command, everything else is much easier.  Use it liberally with your Cairn in addressing any unwanted activity and all the other training is much easier.
You are going to get a lot of good suggestions here from other poster's employ those that you are comfortable with, considering your dog and your situation.  There are many paths to enjoying the experience of owning a Cairn.

Edited by Idaho Cairns
  • Like 4

Idaho's suggestions are right on target. Please try to follow his guidelines... They have worked for me and many others on this site.

I also put children before pets, but that said, give your cairn more time to adjust to the newness of you, your family, and his new (strange) environment. He's had monumental changes in his life and the reactions he has with you now, will evolve and change for the better over time. I can understand that you mistook growling for snoring... That's a good example of the learning curve that all us new dog owners must face in getting to know our new dogs. The fact that he gave a warning growl indicates that he is not a hostile, angry or frightened dog who would strike without warning... He did the right thing! A warning growl is a good thing and shouldn't be ignored. Ditto for the fact that he bit the pants leg, and not the leg!  That says to me that he gave your son a "controlled" correction and was not over the top.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that it seems to me that you've got a very good dog there. He did much that was right. Please give yourselves more time so that he can develop a sense of familiarity and trust with you. Before long you'll all develop a bond that will help with his training and deepen your understanding and respect for each other's boundaries... No dog is perfect ... for the most part, there will away so be some thing or issue with any dog.

Although I don't mean to understate biting behavior... It can be scary under the circumstances you describe, but it seems to me that with time, patience and understanding, this will become a non-issue.

Re your cairn's reaction to the workmen... This is a fairly common behavior across many breeds. In a way, he was protecting your territory and as Idaho described - one method among others is to short circuit the barking by tossing a soft baseball cap, (or shaking a can of pennies) at him.

Thank you for adopting - and for saving this dog's life! Let us know how things progress.

Edited by sanford
  • Like 4

FEAR THE CAIRN!

He does sound like a good dog giving a warning. Many dogs do not like human face close to theirs and do not like being stared at.

Agree three weeks is a blink in the eye - give him three months at least. Be patient. Be firm but not loud. Sometimes if you shout at a cairn he will shout right back! They are very independent dogs who like to be in charge if they can be. You have to convince them otherwise and this takes time.

I prefer shunning to the alpha roll. I'm not strong enough and don't want to get into a physical confrontation. When bite starts at once pick him up and put him away, in an xpen in another part of the house or whatever. After a few minutes  bring him back. Immediately do the same thing if biting starts again. At first you may have to do this very often but he will learn. Angus hated to be away from where the action was and soon learned to quit when I said no bite or no to whatever unacceptable thing he did.

As to barking. A cairn is born to bark at anything and everything. Angus gradually learned to quiet down when I say no bark or leave or it's OK depending who or what he is barking at. I let him bark a bit because I feel he has to, then I ask for quiet which often means him going to a really pathetic whining!

If you search under aggression, barking, biting on the behavior forum you will find lots of info there. Many of us have had similar issues. You just have to try and see what works for you.

Not a great fan of throwing anything at a dog but I know it works for some folks. Hoping you will  not hit him - ever - with anything.

I hope you will not give up on him. As Sanford says he sounds like a great dog.

Good luck and please post pics when you get a chance.

• Like 6

Our cairn Pegi is 7 years old, and we had the growling issue when she was young.  I followed advice on this forum and rolled her onto her back, and gently but firmly put my hand on her stomach so she's couldn't roll over.  After a few times she got the hint.  They seriously do not like being in the submissive position!  As far as barking, I taught her that when I say "enough" she calms down.  She may continue to bark outside the window (especially at the mail, FedEx, oil guy, etc....the list goes on and on) but she will ramp the volume down to a low growl. 

I also work at home so stopping the barking was very important.

Hope this hels - these are smart dogs and will learn.

• Like 1

Linda & Pegi

• 4 years later...

Hi, I have a Cairn Terrier that had  a similar problem. It took awhile of training him. Try to show your dog who is in charge, not the dog. I used treats to train my dog. He is now very loveable and sweet. Don't return the dog, be patient, spend time with your dog. He will eventually trust you, and be a wonderful dog.  Once they know you love them, they will reward you back, by being your best friend. Good Luck to you.

Edited by EFF13
Spelling error
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I adopted a 3 1/2 year old female cairn that went from a breeding female to a rescue two years ago.   First couple days she wouldn’t eat & seemed to not want to do anything.  Fast forward as she attached to me.  She constantly barks at my husband in our fenced backyard. Inside she sits in a corner by me.  I have walked her everyday. 5 months ago the male cairn was returned.   He was at breeder wfemale.  They get along well.  She likes other dogs.  She will let my husband walk her and take treats. I can’t go away.  Help.  I don’t want to give up.  She doesn’t like other people especially men. Been to 4 trainings.  Any advice?

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Sandy Reyes said:

Been to 4 trainings.  Any advice?

Patience, persistence, and taking the long view.  

A completely different thing but just an example: I worked hard, weekly, for well over a year just to get a dog to take a dumbbell from me. Once she "got" it, it was locked in and a new favorite thing to do. But on the road to getting there you'd think she would rather die than take that dumbbell.  

I don't quite understand what you mean by I can't go away. Is she having a tantrum when you do?  When a Cairn believes it is setting the rules for you to follow it helps to develop a rock-hard, "nice try buster, but that's not how it works" attitude — no sympathy, no discussion,  just go about your business and do what needs doing like she doesn't exist in the moment.

Obviously you also have to limit damage potential, using crates, expens, barriers, leashes, spare rooms, or whatever the environment offers or allows.

• Like 1

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club 

Agree with above. Either you are in charge or the cairns are. It takes time. 

15 hours ago, bradl said:

When a Cairn believes it is setting the rules for you to follow it helps to develop a rock-hard, "nice try buster, but that's not how it works" attitude — no sympathy, no discussion,  just go about your business and do what needs doing like she doesn't exist in the moment.

• Like 1

totally agree. the challenge is complex. on the one hand, the cairn has to believe that you set the rules and nothing will get you to be inconsistent. nothing. on the other hand, the cairn has to believe you are fair, trustworthy, friendly. once you get the hang of it it is not so hard and is a valuable life skill. but getting there is hard. you want to be kind of melty when they are good and kind of pouty when they are bad. it is also necessary to be a bit impassive. they like to push buttons. 

seems like she has gone from liking and trusting you to deciding to own you. i think humans do this at about age two. what about conditioning her to accept short absences and then lengthening them? no treats. no giving in. make it ten minutes and make it absolute. lengthen it. i think if she knows you are coming back, and that there is a consistency to it, and that she has no choice but to accept it, you will get there. ignore all screaming and shouting and whining and threats to be destructive (if she gets destructive make her wait someplace indestructible like a bathroom or laundryroom). don't bat an eye. don't deviate from your plan. cairns are determined and would like to make all the rules. but they are also practical and will not waste time on campaigns that produce absolutely no result.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks to everyone who replied. What I mean is that she will not listen to anyone who would watch her if I were to go away overnight. She would refuse to go outside. If she went outside she would refuse to come back in. I recently had a trip and spent many many days with a very seasoned Pettsitter who was able to take care of her for a week. There seems to be more of a problem with her listening to men at all. She will only bark At my husband. Every time he leaves the house to come in the fenced yard with us she run circles around him barking and barks the entire time. It’s like she wants him to go away or some thing. Any advice on why she may be this way with men more than women?

• Like 1

one thing that occurs to me is you are describing a lot of free running around for your dog. there is a place for that but if you are trying to get your dog's attention it is worth getting her to accept a harness, and to accept it being connected to a leash. if you get to where she will let your husband attach it, you win. sometimes cairns need the whole boot camp routine. i would suggest that she wear a leash and harness to go out (even into a fenced yard), and then there will be question of whether she agrees to go out or come in (and yes, cairns who are determined to have a discussion will try to nail themselves to the ground). no jerking her around, no unfair bossy behavior, just cool calm "now we are going out," and "now we are going in." if she is a problem inside, i would suggest leave the harness and leash on her inside, so that you can get her attention when you need to. sometimes when you establish a routine with your cairn and establish lines about one thing, it becomes easier to deal with everything else. some cairns cannot hand free-range life, at least not at first: too many choices, too many ways to try to get the edge, too many things to worry about. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Thank yThank you for the reply about free space. I now put a harness and a leash on her outback. Her behavior is improving. What a wonderful idea! One of her favorite things to do is to go for a walk. She behaves on walks. She won’t let other people pet her but she gets along with other dogs.ou for the reply about free space. I now put a harness and a leash on her outback. Her behavior is improving. What a wonderful idea! One of her favorite things to do is to go for a walk. She behaves on walks. She won’t let other people pet her but she gets along with other dogs.

• Like 1