CairnTalk

Vestibular Disease in Aging Cairn - Vertigo - Need Help!

gd4

Thank you so much for asking. Things are a little crazy with caring for senior parent/s right now (and, our senior dogs!). We sure chose bad timing to coordinate senior dogs with senior parents. However, we adore our babies! With that being said, Max is holding his own. He is walking on his own to go out and eating and drinking well. He is on no other meds but his low dose aspirin each day. We take it day by day as we know his health is erratic in nature. However, he came out of whatever happened in February and is walking again :) Thank you! Gina

• Like 6

I'm sorry I somehow missed this! I just wanted to send my love. I was diagnosed with Ménière's Disease, a vestibular disorder that causes vertigo, in 2015 and I know all too well how terrible it can be. I'm glad to hear your Max is doing better with whatever caused his vertigo. 

• Like 1

"as far as i am concerned cairns are the original spirit from which all terriers spring, and all terriers are cairns very deep down inside." pkcrossley

very good to have an update on max! your outlook is very wise, and we are all happy for max's current state of health and happiness.

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I am back and things are not looking good at the moment. Max suffered another setback. We are going on two days. He has not been able to move his back legs since Saturday. He is having potty issues now and I am using puppy pads. We have to transport him in and out with harnesses. He remains alert, eating and drinking well but mobility is very impaired. He must remain in his bed and can only sit up for periods. It has been six months since the stroke/vertigo issues that I posted about. He obviously has some form of degenerative disease. He is now in pain when my husband lifts him. We continue to give him the lose dose aspirin that neuro spec. recommended but things may be progressing beyond our control.

We plan to give him more time to see if he comes back (this is episode three since last October); however, he was never so bad that he messed on himself before. Please keep us in your prayers. :(

My Dad had a stroke last week and my husband's father is planning for heart surgery so we are struggling right now to stay sane in all areas.

Gina

So sorry Gina. I hope all turns around.:hug:

• Like 1

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Adventures with Sam &Rosie

• 4 weeks later...

Hello, all,

Just another update on Max who is 13.  He is still unable to walk and can only stand for a few minutes without falling. My husband purchased a doggy wheelchair for him and he is getting around in the yard well. This helps with his potty breaks; however, we are now having to use round the clock puppy pads to contain accidents. My husband is not ready to euthanize him. I understand because he is still alert and doesn't appear to be in any pain.

We are not sure how much longer we will have him with us. If this progresses much more, I think it will be time to consider quality of life.

As far as our little girl, she is doing much better since her near brush with death last Christmas. I have cut her dosage on the metronidazole and she is doing well on Natural Balance, Limited Ingredient Venison canned and dry. She has gained all of her weight (back at 17 lbs. 12 oz).  and has the energy of a much younger pup! She is a beautiful, happy little senior! (13 1/2).

I wish everyone and their beautiful pups well.

Edited by gd4
  • Like 6

My heart goes out to you Gina, for what you are going through. It's heartening to know that you went to the expense of purchasing a wheelchair for Max, and it gives me some idea of your huge love and devotion to him. In addition to puppy pads, perhaps a belly band might help contain accidents.

• Like 1

FEAR THE CAIRN!

What an amazing and loving owner you are. Such a difficult and heart wrenching time for you and your DH. I wish you peace and comfort. :hug:

• Like 1

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Adventures with Sam &Rosie

Thank you both so much! I appreciate your kind words and support. Our pups are indeed, our kids. We love them dearly and try to do whatever we can for them.

Blessings!

• Like 2

you're doing brilliantly with with both dogs. there are some things we can't control. all we really can do is whatever it takes to be easy in our minds that we did everything we could to make things good for our little friends. your dogs feel your great love and appreciate everything you do. 

Edited by pkcrossley
  • Like 3

I admire your devotion to your dogs and the outstanding quality of life you are providing for them.  How wonderful for them to have such loving parents.:hug:

• Like 1

Wow.  Planting prevents me from checking in - I am just reading up and you guys are such great people.  I wish there were more people like the people on this forum.  When you love deep - you sacrifice - Gina you love deep.  Your little seniors are lucky to have you in their corner.  God bless. 

• Like 2

Elsie, Max, Meeko & Lori

Dempsy's Mom - Thanks! Yes, we have made quite a few sacrifices for our pups this past year. They give us so much unconditional love, we want to give back <3 Blessings to you and yours!

• Like 1

I have sad news, everyone. Max has declined rapidly over the last two weeks. He is losing control of his bodily functions and finds no joy in being outside in his wheelchair. He wants to stay inside and lay on his side in bed. We have determined it is time to make the decision and plan to take him this evening. Prayers, please. My husband is taking this especially hard as he is a loyal caregiver to this sweet boy. Since we have no children, our pups are our kids. :(   I just so wish they lived longer.

Gina

My heart goes out to you and your husband, Gina. Max was a treasure who deserved the best, and you certainly gave him the best life, love, and devotion.

• Like 1

FEAR THE CAIRN!

Hillscreek and Sanford, thank you so much. I thank all of you here for the support you have offered us for the last year plus. As you know, between the two of our seniors, including little Trinity, it has proven a challenge the last six months.  I know we are doing the right thing but the time never feels right to have to make such a decision. :(

Hugs,

Gina