CairnTalk

Maybe I have a bit of Cairn in me?

Sam I Am

Congratulations. Pip looks like a cutie.

Always feed Rosie treats and food first. That way she won't think that she is being replaced or knocked down a rung.

Pip needs to surrender to Rosie in order to establish the pack order.

• Like 3

Sassy Jan 22, 2005

AM. CH. THARRBARR LITE MY FIRE ZOMERHOF

I have always had females and more than one at a time. Kelly and Prissy are the first with Cairns. I have never had a problem until Kelly and Prissy. It is not because they are girls, Prissy doesn't like any dog, male or female. Prissy will be 10 in Nov. She has gotten better over the three years we have had her.

You won't have a bit of problems, so don't worry. :lol:  Rosie and Pip will love each other.

Pip is a beauty and I can't wait to hear all about her.

I did not hit quote so I have no idea why it did that. It won't let me remove it either.

Edited by bradl
trimmed empty quote
  • Like 1

So Pip, Rosie, me and my DH are a family. We got home an hour ago and Rosie and Pip are doing great. Rosie is being bossy but Pip is smart enough to avoid all eye contact with who. So that just deflates the whole scenario. Her foster mum said that Pip never once did a potty in the house and after the first night was loose in the house! 

• Like 5

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Adventures with Sam &Rosie

Whoo-hoo! So happy for you. Pip is one lucky pup. What a great family you will be. No doubt Pip learned a lot about life living on the streets as he did and knows how to relate to other dogs.

• Like 1

:magic::magic::magic::wub::wub:

Such wonderful news! Welcome to the extended Cairn family Pip!!!! Can't wait to hear all about you settling in to your new life with your mummy, daddy, and sister. 

Fair warning Pip: Canada has something called "winter." It's coming. Ask Rosie about it. 

Edited by _whits_
  • Like 1

"as far as i am concerned cairns are the original spirit from which all terriers spring, and all terriers are cairns very deep down inside." pkcrossley

Idaho Cairns

Wait until that golden moment when Rosie discovers that she has a playmate!  Those first few hours are always a concern but eventually the realization dawns, "Hey, I've got a partner in crime here, someone to sniff all the usual suspects with, so let's be having some fun!"   Today ought to be a fun day for the family--keep us informed.

Looking forward to hearing how Rosie gets on with Pips when you go for her and your plans work out alright!

www.cairnterriertalk.co.uk

Well this does not have a happy ending...at least not for me. Pip came home and all seemed well. For a while. She was very scared and hid under a chair...terrorist Scottie, was really intimidating her, and I understood that there would be some disturbance. Of course it was Rosie's home. When we were ready to tuck in for the night, we put up a baby gate, food, blankets, toys. You have to remember this is a small girl..11 pounds, anyway as I turned off the lights, I looked down and she was standing beside me. She had scaled the baby gate in one second. So up went the x pen, over four feet high. Same thing she scaled it in a second. So now we had a problem. We didn't want to lock her in a small bathroom, she may have totalally panicked and destroyed the bathroom . We couldn't leave her loose because we had no idea what she or Rosie would do. So in the end we put her in a crate for the night.She was terrified of being confined. Remember this is a young dog that lived her whole 11 months surviving on the street. After a night of no one sleeping we made the heartbreaking decision to return her to her foster home. We were at a loss on how to keep her happy while being contained  in the evening and when we were out. She is an amazingly loving and wonderful wee dog and will make someone an amazing pet.  

We have both had an education on rescue dogs. Next time, and there definately will be a next time, it will be a puppy. One that we can nurture right from the get go. I wish Pip all the best and knowing this rescue agency they will make sure she has an awesome home. One that maybe doesn't have another dog (although she is very good with dogs, but gets intimidated) and has a large and safe area for her to get used to her new home. She really was amazing. Not one Potty accident. My heart was already taken with the short time we had her.

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

When you want another dog as bad as you do, it took a lot of courage to admit this was not the right fit for you, Pip, or Rosie. 

Pip will find an amazing home and you will find the perfect addition to your family. 

• Like 3

"as far as i am concerned cairns are the original spirit from which all terriers spring, and all terriers are cairns very deep down inside." pkcrossley

We were both shattered the day she went back. It's amazing how quickly they fill year heart. 

It is amazing. I would have done the same with Prissy as she had, just, been through so much. She really didn't fit in with our family, she doesn't like other dogs, none and still doesn't, but the thing that made me keep her is the fact that she would bite people. I couldn't bare the thought of someone else adopting her and beating her because she bit them, or even worse, having her put down. That made me stubborn enough to hang in there.

I sometimes wonder if I made the right decision in keeping her. It can be hard on us at times, and I'm sure it is very difficult on her. I will have to say she has come a long way in the three years she has been with us. I would still advise anyone to rescue, most of the time it works perfectly. This time for my family it did not. We love her dearly, but it is still different. I can't even explain it. It is almost as if she has a wall up. I sometimes wonder would she have been this way with another family, or would she have been happier?

I'm sorry Pip wasn't the right fit for your family. I know that it was hard to let her go, but I believe you did the right thing.

Love and hugs from me, and I can't wait until you do find one that is the right fit. 

• Like 2

It's a shame it didn't work out but it wouldn't have been fair to either Pip or Rosie to try and 'make' it work.  Coming from such an awful situation, Pip's needs are special and there is no shame in admitting that she wasn't the right fit for your home.  She's a very pretty little girl and I'm sure she will find the right home soon.

Blessings to you for giving it your best shot, Lynn.  :hug:

I am sorry it didn't work out for Pip.

If it is any consolation, sometimes returning the dog is the best thing that can happen.  We adopted Zeus from the local Humane Society where he had been the pet of the week and taken around to all the local TV shows.  The TV pets generally are adopted quickly.  I believe they said Zeus had been adopted and returned two or more times before we came along.  There is a home someplace for Pip.

• Like 1

Who rescued whom?

Again I'm very sorry Lynn. She will find a home. You did all you could but she just wasn't the right fit. I know it hurts and it is disappointing but it's for the best for both Rosie and Pip. :hug:

Well I quit crying for the perfect world :D We gotta do what we gotta do. Keep on searching  without out trying to push things too hard, or make emotional choices, or replace a lost one or whatever. I know how hard that was for me when I looked for Angus. At first I looked for a dog similar to one I had lost unexpectedly. Though I saw many great dogs they weren't him - of course. Eventually I moved to a different breed, an old breed I had known long ago - cairn terriers. Doggy life began again :thumbsup: and:censored: and:lol:.

That's a shame. If it wasn't going to work out for you or Pip then you did the right thing returning her to a rescue that will find her the right home. Thank you for trying your best. There will be a good playmate for Rosie its just who knows when.