CairnTalk

Maybe I have a bit of Cairn in me?

Sam I Am

Soooo, I have been on the hunt for a rescue Cairn. In our part of the world there are none. So I started looking afar, to only find senior and special needs Cairns. I just don't have a hearty soul for that. Now here is where it gets a bit kooky...I said to my DH when we get another dog, I am going to call it Pip. So to continue this tale...I landed up putting just rescue terrier in my search and up comes  FB and home page for a rescue called PVCA. It is based out of Puerto Vallarta,, SPCA, and have sister sites in the US and Canada. I started having a look just because it was there, and lo and behold there is this lovely little terrier called PIPS! I could not say no and have started the adoption process. She is now in Calgary at a foster home ...3hrs drive from where we live. The adoption process has been lengthy, 4 pages of questions, references and our vets name. This will be followed by a home visit to out house at which point we drive to Calgary with Rosie to see if they get along ok. If yes, we have a new pretend Cairn.  I hope I am won't be shunned for not getting a Cairn, but looking at that little face, I think I see Jocks eyes :wub:.  Hopefully Rosie and Pips hit if off together.

Edited by Terrier lover
  • Like 5

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Adventures with Sam &Rosie

I think she did it on purpose to illustrate how she has a bit of Cairn in her as per the thread topic. She *started* to post, got distracted, forgot to put in the content, and went off to do something else, like chase a squirrel. :D

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Autumn & Lola said:

I think she did it on purpose to illustrate how she has a bit of Cairn in her as per the thread topic. She *started* to post, got distracted, forgot to put in the content, and went off to do something else, like chase a squirrel. :D

:D:D:D

Yes hheldorfer must find the squirrel. When Terrier Lover is done running in the yard she will come back and post the picture.

• Like 6

You guys are killing me....lol:P

Edited by Terrier lover

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Those eyes.!

image.jpeg

Edited by Terrier lover
  • Like 6

Here she is.

image.jpeg

Edited by Terrier lover
  • Like 2

10 months old and found on the street trying to live off garbage that is lying around. In a month she gained four pounds. She is 11/2 months old now, spayed and tested and treated for any parasites. Pips now weighs a whopping 11 pounds. My heart went out to this little soul and no way was I not going to give her a loving home. Hopefully it will all work out.

image.jpeg

Edited by Terrier lover
  • Like 8

She may not be a Cairn. That's ok. You will love her and she will love you. Looks like a good playmate for Rosie. Hope everything works out. We can always look for their adventures in the Non Cairn Pals section.

• Like 2

Lynn, in my opinion, considering all the years of contributions you have made to this site and in aiding all of us has more than paid the way for this little treasure's membership here.  I look forward to plenty of posts about this fine looking little girl.

• Like 7

That's what I mean - the new buddy just appears at the right moment. Adorable Pip! Welcome smart little terrier pup. Who can resist those deep intelligent eyes. That beautiful rough coat. She looks so serious now but I'll bet that will change fast. Hope she comes home soon.

Who is the black dog? Or is it just the lighting.

• Like 2

It's the lighting plus being dirty and probably full of  parasite. :cry:That's her when they just picked  her up from the street. She looks so sad and pathetic. The other pics are after being cared for at the sanctuary, fed, spayed etc, washed .

Edited by Terrier lover

Oh my!  She's beautiful!  Congratulations Lynn and bless you for adopting her!  You have done a wonderful thing.  I hope Pips and Rosie become great friends.  :hug:

• Like 2

oh, no wonder you could not resist her. as far as i am concerned cairns are the original spirit from which all terriers spring, and all terriers are cairns very deep down inside. i hope she comes home soon. 

• Like 5

:wub: I'm so excited for you and Rosie and for Pips! and for us on the forum too, to get to share in this special girl's life. In my opinion, fate and Jock found you this little girl. She looks so lovely, so sweet, and has got some strong spirit in her to make it this far. How wonderful it will be for her to have home to call her own. 

Crossing fingers that all goes well with the home visit and the meet with Rosie and that we'll soon be hearing of terrier shenanigans as the two terrierize your house in the best way. 

Now I've got to work on finding Pips' version of Rosie's Scairn. 

• Like 1

"as far as i am concerned cairns are the original spirit from which all terriers spring, and all terriers are cairns very deep down inside." pkcrossley

Pip is lovely!  Congrats to you! I hope it all goes very well. She looks so sweet! I'm sure Pip and Rosie will become fast friends. :)

Thanks all for all the kind words. I must admit I am a bit worried also. I know this will disrupt the calm in the house for awhile, which I expect and don't have a problem with that, but I am concerned as I keep on reading horror stories of two female dogs in the house can be a huge issue in regards to fighting. Chuck, you have always had females so I take encouragement from that. Pip isn't a tiny pup anymore and has lived on the street, Rosie is Ms spoiled, I live in luxury. All reports about Pip state she gets along very well with all other dogs. Rosie who is sweet and a total mushball,  but is very protective of her house and yard when other dogs go past the house. 

This coming Saturday we drive to Calgary with Rosie to see if they get along. If it all seems to be fine, Pip comes home with us. We plan to take her and Rosie for a walk before letting both dogs into the house and backyard. I am praying that all will be fine. Any tips from anyone would be really appreciated!:chat:

• Like 2

Hope everything goes well. You are commended for rescuing a poor lost dog. Madame Rosie may welcome a subject. Yes it may cause disruption in the house but it won't last for long. Good luck and hoping you the best.

I remember when DH and I came home after picking Ziggy up from his foster mom's house.  We *should* have brought Buffy along for the pick-up, which was mistake #1.  When we got home we let Ziggy sniff around in the back yard and then let Buffy come outside.  Her initial reaction was 'WHAT THE :censored::censored: DO YOU THINK YOU'RE DOING, BRINGING ANOTHER DOG HOME????  She didn't exactly give Ziggy an enthusiastic welcome, to say the least.  Eventually it all worked out, though.

I think your "intro" plan is a good one!

• Like 3

Given that Scotties are known to be dog aggressive, although Rosie has never been that way except with the dogs on each side of our fences, I am going to take it very slowly. A walk, a three hour trip back from Calgary after picking Pip up (who will be in a crate), then followed by another walk before entering the yard (leashes still on both dogs) then and introduction to the house (if there are no signs of aggression) then Pip will go into the xpen, where her and Rosie and sniff and get to know each other better.

I remember when we brought 12 week old Jock home. Our then Scottie Sandie was pretty laid back but we were still really concerned. Jock was in the crate when we let him out in the house.... it was like a firecracker going off, barking and carrying on like he owned the place.  He came out of his kennel with attitude to burn. :lol: Sandie looked at him in disgust and just walked away.

• Like 7

So glad you have picked up Pip. It will take a bit to get them used to each other. After that you will have a pleasant house that is full of fun. Enjoy.