CairnTalk

nasty eating habits

Rate this topic

Rylee's mama

I don't know what to do!!! So I live on a farm with three cats that came with the property and a lot of reptiles(toads, lizards and snakes). Almost overtime he goes out to potty or play he either is eating a dead reptile or getting into cat poop from the outdoor cats. I don't know how to correct his naughty eating habits because if I try to get it away from him he runs and it becomes a game if i don't he eats whatever it is. Any suggestions???

Edited by Duck's mama
  • Like 1

While he's young you can potty him on leash, preventing him from reaching the icky stuff (mostly) and correcting him if he finds something before you do. 

Meantime, in the house you should teach him both "leave it" and "give" (or "out"). Those have to be learned *really well* and practiced all around the house in a variety of gradually more challenging conditions and settings before expecting them to be solid behaviors outside in highly-charged situations. It can be done, tho'.

• Like 2

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club 

15 hours ago, Duck's mama said:

...don't know how to correct his naughty eating habits because if I try to get it away from him he runs and it becomes a game if i don't he eats whatever it is. Any suggestions???

Even though you live on a farm, and I'm in the middle of a crowded city, we both have identical problems... Curbsides can sometimes be like a doggie buffet, with discarded pizza crusts, left-over take out food, etc. Most of us dog owners have devoted training time to "leave it!", "drop it!". 

As Brad says, those commands have to be learned really well, (repetition, repetition). Of course, Ruffy's always on a leash, so that makes my job easier than yours.

P.S. When all else fails, I take on the gross task of using my fingers to extract whatever is in his mouth. He really dislikes this, so I like to believe that it reinforces the lesson!

• Like 3

FEAR THE CAIRN!

Well, you probably won't ever fully train him not to indulge, but a leash will help to at least make him think about "leave it", "drop it" or in my case "Pooy, Yuk, Yuk".  When I catch them in the act of nabbing something up or rolling in a lovely smell, they will stop by using a command.   But if I see something already hanging from their mouth or their feet are already up in the air wiggling back n' forth ... I usually have lost the battle. :huh:

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

Elsie, Max, Meeko & Lori

Don't know why the quote thing is there and can't seem to delete it.

Just wanted agree with a leash on and many, many lessons inside and out or wherever you are on "leave it", not only outside critturs but, inside too e.g. socks, slippers, purse, towels etc etc - in fact Angus used to want to run off with whatever he could drag or carry.  I found I needed to use a firm but not loud voice. Very often if you shout at a cairn he/she will shout right back.

Getting him to drop something was hard too. I often used to "trade" i.e. he drops the item I give treat. Worked good inside but if he was off and running outside usually I was not successful.

Re reptiles. We have toads round here and first time any of my dogs picks one up and gets the horrible taste which can make his mouth frothy then lesson learned - they never pick one up again. We do occasionally have harmless grass snakes in the yard but surprising Angus is afraid of them. A previous jrt I had used to kill them.

Edited by bradl
deleted empty quote
  • Like 2

I am thinking about putting in a fence so he can only potty inn the yard where really there are no dead carcasses and no cat poop. my only problem would be that he could possibly get out by digging because it would have to be a picket fence because it will be a fence for the front and back

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Duck's mama said:

...putting in a fence so he can only potty in the yard where really there are no dead carcasses and no cat poop. my only problem would be that he could possibly get out by digging...

Sounds like a good idea, Although in addition to the time and expense, digging would be a concern.

Have you considered an aerial cable run?? These are simple, inexpensive ways to  give the dog freedom, but limit it to a safe, proscribed area. Just a thought.

Edited by sanford
  • Like 1

FEAR THE CAIRN!

In our area people do not usually fence their land. We live in the mountains with coyotes, bobcats etc so Angus is always on a leash when he is out in the yard with me to go potty or whatever. For his exercise I walked him on a long leash (50ft) when he was a youngster. We can walk on game land fields and trails. Now at almost five years old I can let him go free in safe areas far from traffic.

It is a challenge but worth it for sure. Angus is such a smart dog, so full of fun and games, so loving, and now so bonded with me. Cairns are special in every way. Good luck with your baby.

• Like 1

Pepper NEVER learned about the toads!!! She became obsessed with them...staring and stalking and biting and foaming at the mouth.  I finally loaded up the toads from the pond and took them down the road to the creek in the woods and set them free.  I missed one however and we found him this spring warming up on one of the rocks by the pond after hibernating.  I was set free by the creek too.  Those toads would wander all over the yard! It was amazing how far they could go.  I live in fear that they are heading back to my yard from the creek!

• Like 1

Pepper's Mom

We have a picket fence around approx. one acre. Jack & Belle have access through their doggy door most of the time and have never tried to dig out.

The fence has been in place for close to five years, no problems.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I just posted this in a topic I titled "Eating Strange Things", but my little Miss Peanut eats weird things: today we were cleaning up the garden, and she ate green tomatoes, green peppers, and some old corn.  She also eats yellow jackets.  I try to stop her from eating things that may be bad for her, but she does it when I'm not looking.

You should definitely try to stop her from consuming yellow jackets! A friend lost her champion welsh Terrier to exactly that. The wasp after being digested by the dog caused the venom to go systemic, the dog went anaphylactic shock and although survived the first ingestion after spending 6 days in critical care, the second time the dog was in contact with a wasp, his heart stopped. Don't want to scare you but it's something you should be aware of.

• Like 1

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Adventures with Sam &Rosie

14 hours ago, Terrier lover said:

You should definitely try to stop her from consuming yellow jackets! A friend lost her champion welsh Terrier to exactly that. The wasp after being digested by the dog caused the venom to go systemic, the dog went anaphylactic shock and although survived the first ingestion after spending 6 days in critical care, the second time the dog was in contact with a wasp, his heart stopped. Don't want to scare you but it's something you should be aware of.

Thank you for that information - I had no idea they could be so dangerous

I do believe this is a Cairn trait for many! My beloved Trinity who passed on Labor Day would eat anything she could pick up, including a fan of her poo since a baby. My new baby, is not as interested in the poo, thank goodness. Although, I hear this is normal for many dogs. It is unnerving to have a dog with such risky behavior -- I know!

• Like 1