CairnTalk

Ivy has been to the groomer

josie&holly

She's such a cute little girl!

"as far as i am concerned cairns are the original spirit from which all terriers spring, and all terriers are cairns very deep down inside." pkcrossley

She looks amazing! I hope i can find someone who can do that good for Rylee when he gets to the age he needs to be hand stripped.

Bonnie sends her greetings in sisterhood with Ivy.  She had to go thru the grooming process so her people could finally see she had legs, feet, and a butt, and eyes/ears.  However, the grooming was indignity enough without the purple bow!!!!

Bonnie groomed.JPG

• Like 9

Bonnie? Is that you?!?! Did Sammi even recognize you? I think you look adorable, although I have a special place in my heart for the yak Bonnie. 

• Like 3

"as far as i am concerned cairns are the original spirit from which all terriers spring, and all terriers are cairns very deep down inside." pkcrossley

Oh Bonnie you look ravishingly feminine ! Will your Dad take you for a walk with that purple bow? :P

• Like 3

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Adventures with Sam &Rosie

"The Yak Bonnie" is a fabulous description.  We are amazed at what was underneath all that hair--just about the cutest butt you'll ever see on a Cairn and especially so when she struts with that tail held high.  Of course she got to go for a walk with her sister, who also was wearing a purple bow.  They put "the look" into full force by "cuting" the neighbors out of treats with their new look and bows.

• Like 5

Just wondering how long the bow lasted? :)  Bonnie looks good but Ivy is glad that her groomer does not bother with bows etc!

www.cairnterriertalk.co.uk

She looks like a totally different dog! :)  Very cute - I love the bow, but I am partial to such girlie accoutrements. :)

• Like 1

Ok you got me there Helene--I am eating that ages ago "frou-frou" comment for breakfast this morning!  The bows actually didn't seem to bother the girls too much and stayed on for over a week.  As I said earlier, they were able to make their routine daily visitation to the neighbors' patio sliders  for treats all the more appealing so that helped keep the bows tolerable--tho I'm sure they had no clue.  
My bride and I are at odds about the length of the cut--she believes Bonnie is cut too short and I disagree--I like her "fighting trim", makes her look compact and battle ready.  Sammi is hard to evaluate, she's so long and rangy that she is just too hard to judge--she's one of those Cairns that is just "out of adjustment" looks wise most of the time--she has all the physical characteristics but they are either too much, too long, not enough, just odd but she is such a love it doesn't matter--she galumps thru life grandly.

• Like 5

I think  both girls pics are just adorable!!  I agree with Idaho....we had, Amaretto, like Sammi......just was a "big" girl. We always called her the enforcer!!!  She would beat the crap out of you and ask questions later.B)

We tried our best to "make" her look normal and as you have said it seems nothing worked. So keeping her coat just a bit longer in some areas seemed to "level" her out. But as you have said about Sammi....LOVE HER JUST AS MUCH as the others!!!

A newly groomed Cairn (no matter buzzed, scissor or hand pulled) is a happy Cairn running free from those that are "beautifying" them!:thumbsup:

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Idaho Cairns said:

Sammi is ...so long and rangy--either too much, too long, not enough, just odd but she is such a love it doesn't matter--

Ruffy is the same... To the untrained eye he looks like the perfect cairn, but I see that he's barrel chested, his body is too long, his tail too curly, his coat too soft, but despite my "trained" eye, he's still the perfect cairn!?

Sammi and Ruffy would make a great looking couple... Can you imagine what their pups would look like?... (As if)!?

Edited by sanford
  • Like 4

FEAR THE CAIRN!

Ivy looks great. The pet store I use has a grooming salon. The dogs look so happy when they come out. Not sure if they are happy the grooming is over or if they are proud they look so pretty.

Bonnie looks so cute with the bow. Bonnie and Sammi  sure used the bows to their advantage.

• Like 2

I wonder what Cairns and Scotties looked like a few centuries ago when grooming was not in vogue? When they served on their Scottish farms as vermin killers? Did  they just look like miniature sheep? Were they even recognizable to their breed? Or have we uprights bred them to have a different kind of a coat?  I can't see a craggy old Scottman bothering . -_-

• Like 3

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Adventures with Sam &Rosie

17 minutes ago, Terrier lover said:

I wonder what Cairns and Scotties looked like a few centuries ago when grooming was not in vogue? When they served on their Scottish farms as vermin killers? Did  they just look like miniature sheep? Were they even recognizable to their breed? Or have we uprights bred them to have a different kind of a coat?  I can't see a craggy old Scottman bothering . -_-

From what I recall of my short time in Scotland, I imagine just running through the Highlands foliage would rip a bunch of hair out. That and the wind blasting from the North Sea would be enough to groom a dog. I was certain I'd need a wig if I stayed there any longer, or I'd be lifted up and tossed into the sea by those winds, and I stayed in a town. 

• Like 2

Everyone's dogs look great! 

I have pick on Idaho for the purple bow thing on Sammi and Bonnie though, it is kind of Lady Gagaish. haha

That bow wouldn't last one second in Kelly's hair. I remember my M-I-Law bought a pink snuggy for her pomeranian and it was to small so she gave it to Kelly it lasted less than a minute and wasn't fit for another dog after she got finished killing it. :P  Kelly is on the mark for size of a Cairn, seems to measure about right, her tail is about right and she weighs in at 14 pounds except in the Summer months she gains up to almost 15 pounds.

Prissy would probably wear the bow. That's partly how she got her name.  She does not have the show Cairn body at all. She is too long and tall and her tail is like a banana. She weighs in at 17 to 18 pounds.

• Like 1