CairnTalk

Travelling over long distances

Sam I Am

We are going on a vacation with madame Rosie. The road trip is close to 9hrs and she has a history of being anxious in a vehicle.  I think it goes way back to being 8 weeks old and coming home with us. That was a 11 hrs drive. Pulled from  your mum and siblings, stuck in a crate with a grumpy Cairn giving you the stink eye!. Oh and yes howling all the way! :shy:

This year we are trying a new product from our vet (herbal) and hopefully it will help a bit. However i would appreciate any suggestions that some of you may have for dogs that aren't good with change. She doesn't get car sick, just very anxious. We have been taking her on shorter trips and she is getting better but still wont just lie down and chill out. I must say Jock was always amazing. He could have cared less... just lay down and went to sleep.  But then Jock was Mr Macho.

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Adventures with Sam &Rosie

Idaho Cairns

My daughter uses some vet prescribed chemical to ease her dogs' anxieties when she travels, makes them a little dopey but able to function at rest stops.  We've never had the problem with ours but we don't crate them either (I'm sure the complaints would be constant and quite vocal if we did) and they usually settle down within an hour and simply sleep--we've traveled many a mile with our two resting regally on two golf bags, covered with pillows, covered with sheepskin padding (it goes without saying that the girls MUST be able to see out of the windows!) so they are pretty comfortable (compared to the human driver and passenger).
You might want to dispense with the crate, tho I know there is safety factor involved here, we tend to be old fashioned, and perhaps foolish in our travels with our dogs but we have been coast to coast several times with no problems.
Other than tranquilizers, I know of no real way to mollify a stressed out dog in this situation.

• Like 1

Thanks Chuck. Yes we don't crate either. Only when we first got her at 8 weeks of age.  Rosie is a bit of a timid girl when it comes to travel... perhaps I need to have a  squirrel  in a crate next to her. Now that would make her forget about being in the vehicle!

• Like 2

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Different strokes :)  We never don't crate and I'd much prefer they not be able to see out. With less to protect and concern them, the more likely they will simply chill out and go to sleep. Not that they wouldn't do that anyway as Idaho notes. Lord knows I tend to conk out any time I'm not actually driving :P 

Going to and fro from dog shows we hear probably more-than-average number of stories about accidents with dogs on board.

I was never tempted to not use a crate based on a harrowing experience of a cat getting underneath the brake pedal of a car I was driving (OK, now what! :w00t:) and having worked a few physics problems.  In an abrupt deceleration I don't really want to be in an enclosed space with somewhere between one and four 15-pound bowling balls with teeth. 

I somewhat like traveling with dogs because it gives us an excuse to stop more frequently "to water the dogs" and stretch their legs — and as a side benefit, our own. I think the regular rest stops are good for health, anti-fatigue, and safety. If traveling without them we're more inclined to simply press on regardless, without stopping except for fuel. 

I would much rather not drug a dog for traveling for fear that it could compound anxiety, but we have honestly been blessed with easy travelers so it's easy for me to say that. I might feel very differently if we had a confirmed anxious traveler.

• Like 3

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club 

Rosie does have a dog seat belt that keeps her secure so I am not worried about her bouncing around. But I am worried that as she has never been crated before (except as a pup) it would cause even more stress. Perhaps I will just have to have a stiff drink myself (DH is driving). :D

• Like 1

Doing what you are doing giving Rosie practice rides is a good idea I think.

Have always crated Angus on long rides. He can't see out. He curls up and goes to sleep. Was rear ended with a lab in the back once long ago. A stranger in town missed a turn. Lab was not hurt but it made me realize what could happen.

Driving long distances with Angus and previous dogs did make me stop more often and discover places I never would have otherwise. We had a break, we enjoyed it, we rode on refreshed. Allowed a longer time for the journey and it was well worth it.

All but one of my dogs over the years have been fine. With that one I tried not to take him far unless I had to. In those days no medication. Poor guy just sat and drooled and was totally miserable. But once out of crate and moving vehicle immediately fine. Not sure if I would medicate him if I had him today. Worry it might make him disoriented and feel worse.

Hoping drive not to bad for all of you and that you have a great vacation:)

• Like 2

Benadryl is great for anxiety. The children's liquid is the best. Doctors even prescribe it to human patients that have panic attacks. I used it for Prissy once and it worked really well. You can start with a half, of what would be a dose for her. It is one of the few drugs that I will actually keep on hand and use occasionally for many different things.

• Like 2

I second Lynn in TN. Benadryl is what my vet used to recommend for the 4th of July for fireworks. Makes a little sleepy and not as anxious. If you go that route make sure of the dosage per pound. I think it is 25 mg for 20 lbs, but don't quote me.

I don't crate either, but on long trips I harness and attach to the seat belt. Sassy rides up front as it is just us two. She sleeps 90% of the time.

• Like 1

Sassy Jan 22, 2005

AM. CH. THARRBARR LITE MY FIRE ZOMERHOF

Tanner has never really had to endure a long car ride, but he is in the car twice daily Monday-Friday to travel back & forth from Doggie Daycare.  He is always in his seat belt while in the car.  He never seemed to tolerate the crate, no matter how many times I tried, and then when I got a new car, the crate would not fit inside the car (Toyota Yaris).  He does quite well with the seat belt and has actually been in a severe car accident while wearing it and it saved his life.  Although not crated, he's never been given free reign in the car because he would end up on my lap, which is not safe to either one of us or other drivers.

We do give Benadryl around our house for fireworks & severe thunderstorms.

• Like 1
Becky & Tanner

On 8/17/2016 at 8:37 PM, Lynn in TN said:

Benadryl is great for anxiety. The children's liquid is the best. Doctors even prescribe it to human patients that have panic attacks. I used it for Prissy once and it worked really well. You can start with a half, of what would be a dose for her. It is one of the few drugs that I will actually keep on hand and use occasionally for many different things.

Just a note...pay attention when administrating drugs meant for human children to dogs.  Many manufacturers are now using Xylitol as the sweetener in them to make them more palatable to children.  Xylitol can be fatal to dogs.      

• Like 2
Raise your expectations for what your Cairn can do....and try very hard to meet your Cairn's expectations of you.

I've only done a long car trip (anywhere from 18-22 hours) with my (non-Cairn), Mandy. She loved trips. As long as she was with us, she was happy. Back then I didn't know about doggie seatbelts and the like. We'd simply pad out the entire back seat so she'd have a comfortable and secure place to stretch out, sleep and look out the windows if she wanted. Again, kinda ignorant back then, as when we stopped at the Golden Arches for take-out, Mandy pressed on the automatic window button and opened her window to see where all the smells were coming from (and got a free hamburger for her effort!). After that, the child locks were used.  The only time she was stressed was on our last trip from Alabama to Pennsylvania, where traffic jams and accidents added an additional four hours to our trip. The ex and I were stressed, as we were all trapped in the car for the last five hours. When we arrived at my parents' house in Pennsylvania, despite taking her out to potty beforehand, Mandy promptly had diarrhea on the new carpeting right under the Christmas tree, then peed for good measure.

• Like 1

On 20/08/2016 at 4:19 AM, eastofeden said:

Many manufacturers are now using Xylitol as the sweetener in them to make them more palatable to children.      

I knew Xylitol can be fatal for dogs but didn't know it could be in meds! Good to know!  Thank you!

• Like 1

Well we are back from our 11.5 road trip from the interior of BC. Rosie was amazing. No anxiety, no Hersey squirts. We used two products that we got from our vet clinic. I was sceptical but not anymore. The first one was a product called Zylkene. A natural product with no side effects. Rosie was started on them a week before we left. Another one is a spray called Adaptil. A   Pheromone spray that we sprayed on a scarf we put on her neck. She was calm and sleep off an on the whole trip. She still got excited when one of us left the truck but way better than last year. :P

• Like 3

So great to hear our Scairn did so well on her vacation! And hopefully you had a fantastic time as well!

Speaking of xylitol, I was appalled to find out that some pet product companies (including supposedly reputable ones like Virbac) are putting xylitol in their products, specifically the water additives they sell for oral health. Their argument is that the amount in one serving isn't dangerous but they don't say anything about the devastating effects if a dog got more than the amount of a single serving. I called my dad (the vet) and he was alarmed and said he couldn't believe they would consider any level of xylitol safe. Xylitol is also now in some human nasal sprays and in chewing gum and as eastofeden said, human medications. Keep your eyes open! 

"as far as i am concerned cairns are the original spirit from which all terriers spring, and all terriers are cairns very deep down inside." pkcrossley

Thank goodness these to products don't have that in them.  I always read labels on human food to make sure we never bring any product in the hous e that contains xylitol.

Edited by Terrier lover