CairnTalk

Crate size

Min D

What is the most common size crate folks are using for their adult cairns? If you could give the length, width, & height that would be great. The make and quality would help as well. This would be used for both sleeping and car travel.

thanks,

Min D

It depends on size of your cairn. Angus weighs 16lbs uses a 24"x18" open metal crate. He has room to turn around and to stretch out. It is a folding crate though I have never folded it. It has one door. He sleeps in it at night and has since he was a pup. Travels in it for long journeys. Easy to lift into my  Jeep. Regret can't remember the make or price. Had it for years before Angus. I cover it with an old blanket making it into a den. When very warm weather like we are having now I can pull the blanket back for more ventilation.

• Like 1

The crate we use is by a company called Pet Gear. The name of the crate is "The other Door". We got it on a website called Chewy. It comes in small, medium and large. We started out with the small size and now we use it for car travel and we bought the large size for everyday. It is really nice because it will open on both ends and has a front door as well. We are very pleased with the quality. Sorry not sure of the dimensions. Hope this helps.

There is no "common size" crate for our cairns, because some of them are as small as 12 pounds and some are 20 pounds or more.

How big is your cairn? If you measure him and add a few inches you will get a rough idea of the crate size you need. I don't know for sure, but I think many crates have labels indicating the size of the dog it is meant for.

just like Hillscreek, I create a "den" for Ruffy in the winter with an old blanket draped over the top and sides, which also keeps out the drafts along the floor. I remove the blanket in the summer so he gets the full benefit of the A/C.

Hope this helps!

FEAR THE CAIRN!

I keep two of these (22L x 13W x 16H) in my jeep because they fit nicely for trips to the vet or obedience class. The image with the dog should link to details.

51tWqeq5KRL.jpgIMG_7030.jpg

In the Mini we use a plastic crate similar to these (unfortunately no longer made); this one's fairly similar. We also keep a few of those around the house too, in spare rooms etc. It is *very* handy to always have several empty crates available to put a dog in for any number of situations. Guests, emergencies, isolations, time-outs, etc. 

51sPHjFppqL.jpg

In the house we have a few larger wire crates that are more in the size of 24L x 18W x 19H.

81JDgvpGg8L.jpg

In general any size that's in the neighborhood of 13 -20" wide/tall and 18-24" long seems to be fine.  

We like to use these bolstered "quiet time" fleece pads as the dogs like to snug up against the bumpers.

4116KDUA1XL._AC_UL160_SR160,160_.jpg They come in a couple of sizes if you end up with a larger crate). We probably have at least a dozen of these in various colors. They do wear out (get thin on the bottom) after a while so we reorder from Amazon or pick them at almost any dog show from a vendor.

We also love these 17x24 memory foam bathmats from bedbathbeyond … they are especially good for keeping "leakers" from leaking through and soiling the very expensive thick memory foam mats we give the seniors.

553667120822c.jpg

• Like 2

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club 

The crates that I have are classed as Medium and are 30 inches in length, I had a 24 inch but felt it was small for Ivy and also it is heavier that the 30 inch that I have downstairs.

I had a fleece pad like Bradl shows in the crate but Ivy chewed it up and destuffed it!  So now she just has little blankets!

Edited by josie&holly

www.cairnterriertalk.co.uk

Re the fleece pads. I've had previous dogs that loved them and wore them thin. Angus, like Ivy - chewed them up. Now has old bits of blanket that he does not chew and that he fixes up the way he wants!

Addie has torn up every single crate pad (including the bed bath beyond bath mats) I have ever given her, so I switched her to old towels. She's never bothered the towels, and I actually think she likes that she can move the towel around for the perfect little den (she likes making her towel into a pillow and laying on the cool plastic). 

Addie uses this plastic crate (http://www.petsmart.com/gsi/webstore/WFS/PETNA-PETUS-Site/en_US/-/USD/ViewProduct-Start;pgid=i2F6.fvKjb9SRpBFE99G06PQ0000FkZkAeoO;sid=Ee2ghLanWo-thOEUiErlgIatVJH3llWsTUtyZ_Cc?SKU=36-531) in the 24x16x15 (medium) size, but she is a larger Cairn (24 pounds). I kept having to get her larger crates because every time I thought she'd stopped growing, she kept growing. I like the plastic crates because they're lighter for me to carry, and I bring it with me whenever I travel with Addie (which is fairly often). I only wish my Honda's trunk was big enough to hold it, or that the top came off without unscrewing like 20 screws, but the easier to collapse plastic crate I got her a while back she actually managed to break out of. 

"as far as i am concerned cairns are the original spirit from which all terriers spring, and all terriers are cairns very deep down inside." pkcrossley

We use these soft-sided crates, which have zippered openings on the front, side and top.  The dogs are happy in them, they're light-weight and handy with all those openings.  The only downside is the main zipper will wear out after about 8 years.  They are pretty easy to take apart and wash the canvas cover.

We do have two hard plastic crates (a small and a medium) that we started our dogs in as puppies.  They are easier to clean, just wipe them out, than washing the soft-sided ones.

And finally, Brad is very organized with the crates in his Jeep, raised up with storage underneath!  Whatcha got under there, Brad?

image.jpeg

• Like 1
Jandy and my Cairns, Kirby & Phinney 

"Whatcha got under there, Brad? "

I think a secret stash of snacks! But for whom? :lol:

• Like 1

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Adventures with Sam &Rosie

"Secrets"

Nah, sometimes there are snacks. For the dogs :P  On the left is a water bottle and spare bowl, rain jacket (this is Oregon  ? ), extra large bungee, some spare spring clips, a few brass springclip eyebolts, and a pouch with obedience lead, dumbbell and plastic armband number-holder. In the wee center tub: sandwich baggies / poop bag rolls, a washcloth, and some strong magnets for holding shade-cloth against the car body.  On the right some lure coursing leads, a couple of shark lines, and a couple of cheap-o slip leads for collaring loose dogs in the neighborhood. The open bin between the crates is a stack of towels for swapping in/out of Stella's crate (long story).

I used to keep a scent article mat on top of the crates and a mesh weave bag with scent articles and gloves on top of the towel tub, but between my token job and Stella's loss of vision we're not going to utility class any more :cry:.

• Like 1

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club 

4 hours ago, bradl said:

Looking at the photo I realize I forgot all about the new item, an insulated food dish tote. In case of ice cream :lol: 

One must always be prepared to encounter a wild ice cream when on the road.  Good thing you have something to capture it!

• Like 2