CairnTalk

Exercise

Midge

Can anyone advise on how much exercise a puppy should be allowed? My little Midge is just over 4 months and gets two walks each day, one on a lead and one off the lead in open safe spaces; each time about 30 minutes. I limit rough and tumble with other dogs but she loves a chase with her doggie friends. I also have a large garden and which she delights in exploring (under supervision) several times a day. What about running up and down stairs; at present I don't allow that. Some advice from experienced owners would be appreciated. Thanks.

Maisie is my first Cairn so I'm not an expert on the breed, however, I let Maisie do whatever she wants and is able to do.  When she was 4 months old, she had a German Shepherd sister who was 6 months older than her and they would rough house and play all day long, with Maisie being the one to initiate the  play.  She'd jump up and bite Tess' tail and then run and hide under the couch were Tess couldn't get her.  She did not fear much. She was afraid of going down stairs that were steep but she eventually grew out of it.  When we go on walks, I let her tell me when she is too tired or too hot to go on, sometimes she'll lie down.  

Use your own discretion, I think Midge will let you know if she's had too much.  Looking forward to seeing more pictures of your little cutie pie!

Edited by LindaMC

Idaho Cairns

You have to be comfortable with the activities you allow for your pup.  We have never restricted ours in any way since our experience is that Cairns are intelligent enough to self regulate when it comes to exercise--they know when to stop, slow down, and go for more.  Cairns are also pretty rugged as a breed, they are small but they can handle some pretty rough situations with other dogs, at least in our experience.
Perhaps this video will give you an idea--it was taken at the local dog park a few years back and kinda gives you an idea of how Cairns, at least our Cairns, fit in with larger and rambunctious playmates.

• Like 4

Wonderful video, Idaho! I could watch dogs at play forever. It must be a "cairn thing" because Ruffy interacts with other dogs just like Sammi and Bonnie, chasing, but staying on the periphery of the action and darting in and out just to get a few good licks in. (Only once in a rare while will he find a kindred spirit and go all out wrestling, tumbling, play-biting, with noisy mock ferocity).

But back to little Midge and the topic at hand... Yes, most pups (and adult dogs) will simply lie down and rest when they reach their limits. But in the type of hot summer weather we've been having recently, I would step in and give Midge a time-out, with a drink and even a rub down with cool water.

• Like 2

FEAR THE CAIRN!

3 hours ago, sanford said:

But in the type of hot summer weather we've been having recently, I would step in and give Midge a time-out, with a drink and even a rub down with cool water.

A bit off-topic but I wanted to echo Sanford's comment.  We have found that some cool water on the belly works wonders for Buffy when the weather is hot.  When she sees the water bottle come out she sometimes flops down on her back so we can give her a sprinkle and cool her off.

• Like 1

I was told that 5 minutes exercise for each month of their life though that could be twice a day.  Also certainly no stairs until full grown as it can affect the growth plates in hips/back legs.

However, when I got Ivy she was 6 mths old so she had two walks a day of about 25 minutes, and she did not go up or down stairs until she was 9 mths old. until she was that age she slept in crate downstairs as my other Cairn slept upstairs [my other cairn had cancer and died in October so that is when Ivy was allowed to come upstair and sleep in crate in bedroom].  

In hot weather I only walk Ivy early on in day and then in evening.

• Like 1

www.cairnterriertalk.co.uk

Thanks for all the advice. This is my first puppy and I have read that its best to wait until bones and growth plates are mature before allowing unrestricted excercise. That was something I had not realised as I always had adult dogs, so I think I am doing the same as Josie and Holly. We tend not to have designated dog parks (or hot weather)where I come from so it's out in open country or parks, and she certainly can run, which I allow for short periods as she so loves it!

8 hours ago, Midge said:

...We tend not to have hot weather...

Of course! If I read your post more carefully I  would have realized you are in Scotland, so no hot weather to be concerned about for your pup... Lucky you! ?

FEAR THE CAIRN!

Midge - as you are in Scotland you may like to also join our UK Forum - www.cairnterriertalk.co.uk as we have other members who live up there!  

Just to add, Ivy now at 18 mths will walk and walk - recently did about 5 miles and she was not flagging but I certainly was!  And yes Ivy likes to run and we regularly go with a friend who has a whippet and Irish Terrier and she will chase the whippet or be chased!  So you can look forward to longer walks in a few months especially when the snow comes!!

• Like 1

Sanford.....yes, sadly our average temperature in summer is around 17 centigrade, sometimes we get into the 20's; for a day or so! Josie and Holly........I will have a look at the UK forum too, thank you. Do you do any hillwalking? If so would Ivy cope with a bit of a climb? As regards other dogs Midge seems pretty fearless when it comes to big dogs but initially approaches them cautiously. She loves to chase my friend's Labrador and LindaMc and Idaho Cairns are probably right about the dog knowing when to stop.

After six years here, I still don't think in centigrade, so it is usually about 68F in Yorkshire, England all summer long! I, for one, love it!  These dogs seem to adapt well to the temperature in which they are born/live. Molly (my Cairn in Alabama) didn't start wilting until it got over 90F, while Lola (Westie) starts wilting when the temps reach 75F! I guess just like people, they get acclimated. Both seem to know when to stop playing and take a rest, although I imagine puppies (like small children) may push themselves past their tiredness because they're having too much fun.

• Like 2

Ivy has done a bit of hill climbing but generally I do not as find it gets me breathless!  But gentle hills are OK, but suspect that Ivy will not have the

opportunity to do much!  Ivy loves every other dog she meets, big or small but they do not all appreciate her bouncing up to them!  However, I do take her to a area at Clumber Park that she can run free with my friends Irish Terrier and Whippet. So Ivy and the whippet have a great time chasing each other!  And because she is with them she comes back to me though it is a struggle sometimes to get lead back on!  I would not led her off lead on my own though as think she would be off if something interesting like a squirrel, rabbit or other dog/person was about!

I have never had a puppy - but yes they do self discipline .... at times.  We live on a farm and we have a shelter belt out back that I let Demps and Els run freely in while I stand outside the belt and wait for them to return.  When they get tired they usually return and run to the pool for a dip.  Lately we have been doing this once a day, usually in the evening, and they love it.  Well, this morning, during our poo walk, Elsie saw a rabbit and ran in the shelter belt.  Dempsy could not resist following Elsie and ran in the belt too.  I was a little nervous because I had already let the chickens out.  I could see them in there sniffing around and having fun.  They would not come out so I went in after them.  "Wow, you guys!  I can see why this is so much fun."  It was beautiful in there.  The grass was all matted down, so you could walk freely and there were all sorts of neat broken branches, old dirt piles, some old iron machinery, etc. to snoop into.  It was nice, cool and pleasant in there.  Soon Elsie went scampering by and I nabbed her up.  She was the threat to the chickens.  I carried her out and yelled for Dempsy .... yelled ..... yelled and in about 5 minutes he finally waddled out.  Big smile on his face.  Anyway, we usually have a routine and usually they are cooperative - or as cooperative as a cairn gets. :)

• Like 3

Elsie, Max, Meeko & Lori