CairnTalk

Bridget

Bridget

Welcome! She is adorable. :wub:

• Like 1

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Adventures with Sam &Rosie

you're lucky. there are very few full cairns in rescue, and she looks like an absolute doll. so glad she is fitting in smoothly. congratulations to you both!

• Like 3

Welcome!  Ruby (would that be because of the ruby slippers in Wizard of Oz?) is a gorgeous girl.  It's always exciting to 'meet' new Cairns and their moms.  Hope to see much more of you on the forum!

• Like 1

Welcome to the Cairn Talk family Ruby (and her upright)! Oh she looks so sweet. And beautiful (what a lovely brindle coat). Rescues are the best. Thanks for taking this girl in! Can't wait to hear all about her!

• Like 2

"as far as i am concerned cairns are the original spirit from which all terriers spring, and all terriers are cairns very deep down inside." pkcrossley

Idaho Cairns

How very fortunate to find this little beauty in a shelter!  Have no fear, our first Cairn was a five year old rescue from the local shelter--we found her on a wonderful day when the local humane society had an "adoption fair" and our lives have been enriched since that moment with more and equally wonderful Cairns.
You enjoy--if this dog isn't a Cairn, it is one of the world's most talented impersonators!

• Like 3

Hello Bridget. What a cute little cairn you are. Enjoy your new family at home and here on this fun and helpful forum!

• Like 1

Welcome to the family:D can't wait to 'meet' her( as hheldorfer said) I am fairly new to the forum and I love it:wub:

• Like 2

Such a cute dog - how lucky you are to find her, and she to get you!

Just a warning - the "keeping quiet" thing you mention, which she is good at? As she becomes more confident, prepare for her goodness to slip a little. Cairns normally are not very quiet...they are very sure of themselves and usually quite vocal about that!

Welcome, Ruby.

• Like 5

How lucky Ruby is to have found a family willing to put in the effort and cost to get her healthy and give her the love she deserves. I suspect you'll be rewarded many times over with her sweet companionship. I can't wait to hear more as she settles into her forever home. 

• Like 1

"as far as i am concerned cairns are the original spirit from which all terriers spring, and all terriers are cairns very deep down inside." pkcrossley

Welcome Bridget and Ruby!  She is absolutely precious! :)  Can't wait to hear more stories about her as she settles in!

• Like 1

Ruby is devine.  Love her.  She is sitting in your car seat with anticipation of where you are taking her. :)  Quite proud that you gave her a home and anxious to see her new digs.  She is going to be a great addition to your life!!  Thanks for adopting and looking forward to reading more about Ruby's adventures. 

• Like 1

Elsie, Max, Meeko & Lori

I was just writing this when I read Brads post. I don't why so many cairns sleep with their heads hanging but they do seem to quite often from the pics I have seen posted. I take it that in this case it indicates Miss Ruby feels completely at home:D

• Like 3

Lola (Westie) sleeps like this also, with her head hanging off the couch. I always try to shift her because I think she is going to wake up with an awfully stiff neck, but she goes right back to it.

• Like 1

I had Ruby out last night for her evening walk.  She's familiar with all of the dogs in the neighborhood and very outgoing and friendly. On her first day out, about 3 weeks ago, a Yorkie up the street met her the first time by coming at her like a little cyclone, all teeth and fur.  Ruby was not fazed and stood her ground but was not aggressive at all.  Last night, the neighbor's dog, Lacey, was out when we were.  Ruby and she have encountered each other several times. Lacey is a bit of a lunger when  you see her at first (I've lived there over a year and she barks at me every time she sees me), but usually calms down right away.  Last night she ran up and lunged, Ruby just looked at her in a friendly way, then Lacey, snapping, lunged right in her face. It scared the crap out of me and Lacey's owner too. Ruby kind of growled as if to say, "WTF?", and hitting the ground, rolled right out of the way, something I had seen my Corgi do a few times years ago. I snatched her up, although frankly I was more scared than Ruby was, and Lacey received a sharp reprimand from her mama, then everyone calmed down.

I'm a bit shaken up by it. I love the fearless friendliness that Ruby exhibits, but I would hate for her to be injured or her little spirit be broken by a bite to the face. Should I just calm down or am I right to be concerned? I don't want to be one of those helicopter moms. :) 

Oh we are all helicopter mums when it comes to our four legged ones. You are not alone. I would just stay out of the neighbours dogs space. We have the same issue with our neighbour. Very nice people but their Bichon unaltered male has bitten me in the leg and still barks at us and Rosie (through the fence) for four years!

Edited by Terrier lover
  • Like 1

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Adventures with Sam &Rosie