CairnTalk

How Do You Know When It is "Time"

Kate

Kate, only you and your hubby can truly know when the time has come.  It sounds like Mila is still getting some joy from life and obviously doesn't want to leave you yet.  Blessings to you for being such a great Cairn parent.

I know this is going to sound harsh, but please don't wait till its critical  and it turns into an  emergency situation.   I also want to add that my heart aches for you... there are few times in one's life that a duty is more painful.  I suspect like most of us you will look into Mila's eyes and you will know... you will just know.

Edited by Terrier lover

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Adventures with Sam &Rosie

This is so hard...I feel your pain having been through this with all my companions.  You want to hang in there until they tell you it is time to let go yet you don't want to see that sign...my heart breaks for you.

Pepper's Mom

Happy update today; she seems to be doing better this afternoon; this morning not so much.  The grandkids were here today and she has always been a little jealous of them and always had to be "right in our faces" when they are here.  The grandkids are 1 and 3 and busy!  She didn't play with them but did hang out a little.  Maybe the pain meds are kicking in or maybe she is trying to tell us something.  I have already made the arrangements with the vet for when the time comes as far as cremation, etc., etc. so hopefully when it does get here I won't have to worry with those details.  Thanks so much everyone for your words they help more than you know.  I still feel like someone kicked me in the stomach but in all honesty I feel like this is Mila's way of making things easier for us; to prepare us.  The way I feel now is no more dogs; I can't do this again but if the times come it will definitely be another Cairn Terrier......love them!!!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I feel like I need to post this.  My first post on this topic was so sad; I was preparing to put my baby down.  I went to two different vets and got basically the same opinion.  Mila tore her ACL in March and went downhill after that time.  She was also diagnosed with Cushings without all of the expensive tests.  Long story short I went to the vet to pick up the sedative to give her before having her put down.  I got home and thought I'd try one more thing.  I took her off all the meds the vets had put her on to see what happened.  Her personality came back and though she still is a little lame she can do steps now, is eating with the vigor as she always did and seems like a happy dog.  I got her back.  I think the medication that really made me feel like she couldn't make it was Gabapentin.   She was also on Sam-e and some pain meds.  I just wanted to put this out there in case it could help others.  If it wasn't for me giving her another chance I wouldn't have her now.   Thanks for "listening"

• Like 5

Kate you are following your gut feelings. Vets and doctors can be right or wrong. They don't live with the pet 24 hours a day. You do. Glad things are going for the better. Best of luck to Mila.

its all about quality and if she has quality of life at this time and moment, being off her  meds, then I am truly happy for you and Mila.

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

That's amazing! I completely agree with terrier lover:

1 minute ago, Terrier lover said:

its all about quality and if she has quality of life at this time and moment, being off her  meds, then I am truly happy for you and Mila.

Idaho Cairns

Great!!!!  Just a comment about "Cushing's Disease" and Cairns--our first Cairn was diagnosed with Cushing's some six or seven years before she died of old age.  I get the impression that Cushing's is perhaps over diagnosed and/or really hard to diagnose and it becomes kind of a "catch all" condition to reason to a conclusion and, perhaps, to sell some pricey medications.  Not telling you to disregard the vet's professional advice but just letting you know that Cushing's isn't, in my experience, anyway close to the end of the world for an otherwise healthy Cairn.
Hoping for continued improvement for Mila.

That is great news, Kate. I am so happy she is enjoying a better quality of life. Although I dislike the overused term, sometimes we really do need to think 'outside the box'.  :)

brilliant story. medicine is so complex. all meds have their uses, but the interactions of the meds can easily get away from any practitioner. i guess what i take away from the story is, when a situation is as distessing and perplexing as this, and involves powerful meds (particularly pain meds or pscyho-active meds like Sam-E), at least try life without them before taking extreme measures. very well done. i hope mila enjoys her life for a good long while. 

Edited by pkcrossley

Hugs to little Mila!  This happens not only to dogs - mom was on her way out of this world and one small town doctor stepped in her room one day and immediately said, "Phyllis, is being poisoned."  He knew right away by the color of her skin.  Walla - we took her off a drug and mom came back to us for another 8 years.  She was in a large hospital and we brought her home to die - that's when the small town doc saw her.  Crazy.  You did great Kate!!  Thanks for posting.

• Like 1

Elsie, Max, Meeko & Lori

• 1 year later...

5a387ad67318c_IMG_2020(2).thumb.JPG.aac21e89eabef36cbe94d2f2921ffdd3.JPGUpdating my post from June 2016  Today 12/18/17 my Mila went to the Rainbow Bridge.  I looked back at my posts  I kept that little wonderful dog going for another year and a half after the vet advised to put  her down.  In the end I believe her kidneys were failing along with her other organs.  She just quit eating the last 10 days.  I made her chicken and rice with vegetables and she ate that for a day or two and then refused that.  She had no interest in food, treats or her favorite steak and beef jerky.  I tried everything.  She was slowly starving herself to death.  She had surgery 3 months ago for her teeth.  That seemed to help but in looking back she had been failing for some time.  She had no desire to play, eat or chase her ball; I knew it was time.  So very hard but I know she had a wonderful life for 13 years.  I got her when she was 6 weeks old and she gave me and my family so much love and happiness.  My heart is broken but I know I did the right thing; she is no longer suffering.  Gotta love these terriers.  No more for me; I am too old to go through this again.  Thanks for all of your help and advice over the last 13 years

IMG_2020 (2).JPG

Edited by Kate
  • Sad 1

I know how you feel.My cairn - Tali was 16 and it was the same sort of thing I tried everything to get her to eat, but in the end I too knew it was time. I have to say it was the hardest thing I’ve ever had to do. I still miss her, but as you said, you do know when it’s time, and so do they. I  wasn’t sure if I would get another cairn , but I did- Life didn’t seem to be the same without one in it.

Mila looks like she was very cute- Tali looked a lot like her.

Time helps, thinking about you while you try to heal  your broken heart- those cairns seem to get in there very deeply.

Edited by Min D

So very sorry to hear this news.  Mila had an exceptionally long life and I'm sure she was loved from beginning to end.  She'll join all our other Cairns who have gone to the Bridge, free of pain and the ravages of age.  Blessings to you and yours.

• Thanks 1

Please accept my condolences on the loss of your beautiful  Mila and take heart, knowing that you gave her a wonderful quality of life, and extended her life. Mila was lucky indeed!

FEAR THE CAIRN!

Condolences on your loss. How wonderful to have the love and fun of your Mila for so many years. It's hard to bear such a loss but we are all thankful we had a cairn in our lives. Memories live in the heart for ever.

I would hold on to that face as long as I could, too. Mila was well loved and you did well by her for a lifetime and listened when she finally told you it really was time. Blessings to you both, and your family. 

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club 

The love of a caring human is a dogs best reward and you gave it in spades. :wub:

• Like 1

i know how you feel. but you did the right thing at every step, and giving a dog an extra year and more of good quality time is like giving her another lifetime. she will always be with you, and you should always be proud of what the two of you accomplished.. 

• Like 1

"My heart is broken but I know I did the right thing; she is no longer suffering."   Absolutely!  The heavy, heavy sorrow of losing a loved dog has to be balanced by the courage of doing what was necessary--our Cairns depend on our good judgement from day one to day last.  Peace.

• Like 1

So very sorry for your loss,  Mila was an adorable little Cairn who gave you 13 great years.  I hope that your memories of happy times together comfort you in the days ahead.  God bless.

• Like 1