CairnTalk

New here, Adopted Cairn Mix

sunvalleylaw

1 minute ago, Idaho Cairns said:

That's what I'm talking about Steve!  We obviously don't let our Cairns off leash where there are dangers like roads and parking lots but on those hiking trails, our girls are just fine and as this video will show, follow instructions pretty good in the wild.  I would never suggest that anyone put their dogs in harm's way but our Cairns have, for the most part been amenable to voice commands and the "chase" mentality is pretty short lived if our experience with rabbits, squirrels, and deer are typical--once the object of their attention is out of sight, they tend to lose interest quickly--they aren't like hounds--one a beagle gets on a track, look out, it could be hours before you see it again!

Awesome then.  It is as I hoped.  We will get there, but take our time.  We will take some leash time, and more bonding time with the family, and the big brother dog, to help cement things before testing the waters as it were.  But we will get there ultimately I bet.  Thanks for reaching out, and for the input.  

• Like 2

Welcome and congratulations on your new little cutie pie!  Macy is adorable, I love the way she is smiling in your first post, she looks happy and that's what we want for our Cairns.  Maisie, my 3 year old Cairn is my first small dog too, we've always had large dogs.  I am totally hooked now and have come to really love this breed.  When we first rescued Maisie at 4 months, she was pretty quiet but once she got comfortable in her environment, that changed and we were awarded with many different types of vocals, including the Cairn death screech!  

I look forward to hearing all about Macy and her adventures.

• Like 1

Another good day.  She is learning fast.  QUESTION: Feeding.  She likes to nibble I guess rather than eat her bowl at once.  Causes a problem because then her big brother comes over and gets it if we don't intercept.  Anyway to train her to just wolf it down?  Changing her food from the science diet puppy the shelter gave us to some Solid Gold for her type of dog seemed to help a little.  

If you can keep them separate for a while you can establish a short (but consistent) period for the bowl being down. Down for three minutes and then up, finished or not. Tomorrow (or next mealtime, whatever) same deal. She won't starve and she'll eventually calibrate herself to eat what she needs in the time allotted.

Alternatively you could downsize big brother's meal to account for letting him finish hers. If she wants it for herself eventually, she'll eat it before losing it.

While I personally tend to feel a dog's bowl and crate are special and shouldn't really have to be defended I know some folks prefer to "community feed" so I get that opinions vary :)  —  'twas ever thus in dogs :P 

• Like 2

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club 

10 hours ago, bradl said:

Down for three minutes and then up, finished or not. Tomorrow (or next mealtime, whatever) same deal. She won't starve and she'll eventually calibrate herself to eat what she needs in the time allotted.

I have tended to do this with my dogs whether single or multiple. It has worked well. If dog misses meal here or there as Brad says not going to starve. All mine have learned pretty quickly. Some I've fed together some separated. Angus is an only dog and a greedy dog so no problem with him finishing in a flash. You'd think I never fed him!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, bradl said:

If you can keep them separate for a while you can establish a short (but consistent) period for the bowl being down. Down for three minutes and then up, finished or not. Tomorrow (or next mealtime, whatever) same deal. She won't starve and she'll eventually calibrate herself to eat what she needs in the time allotted.

Alternatively you could downsize big brother's meal to account for letting him finish hers. If she wants it for herself eventually, she'll eat it before losing it.

While I personally tend to feel a dog's bowl and crate are special and shouldn't really have to be defended I know some folks prefer to "community feed" so I get that opinions vary :)  —  'twas ever thus in dogs :P 

I am generally with you wrt crates and bowls.  Some spillover notwithstanding.  Thanks for the suggestion.  Sounds reasonable.  My wife put a little left over chicken broth from last night's baked chicken on this morning, and she finished it right up, as she did when we added some wet food from guests the other day.  Going to try to train using your method with quality kibble though.  Not liking the idea of special meals on a regular basis.  

• Like 1

So she did find her little bark.  Not all the time, but it is there.  Also, turns out we do still have some house training to do.  She is peeing in our bedroom, though she now does know how to use the dog door and we do take her out to pee regularly.  Will read the threads I saw on housebreaking.  On the more positive note, she took her first little hike off lead yesterday.  I an a friend hiked up the same drainage pictured the other day, with her, Monty, and his dog, Moto.  She stuck close with the big dogs and did just fine.  Came when called near the end of the hike to be put back on lead for the car (as my friend drove us this there this time.)  But, as she does like to burrow more deeply into the sage, she, and not the other dogs, has been finding where the ticks have been hiding.  I have never had a problem before there with my other larger dogs or myself.  But will be very watchful now.  May look into a tick repellant as well for her.  My buddy uses one on Moto, as he used to live in Hood River and ticks are really bad there.  She also had a ton of socializing on the side of the soccer pitch at my daughter's games in a local tournament yesterday.  No problems at all there, and she is well loved by all, and she expresses it right back. 

So, that's the update!  She is doing well and we love her!

IMG_5050.jpg

• Like 2

"Doing good Macy! Big dogs is the bestest" -  Angus. We went to a dog park when visiting my DIL and their Newf. There was a section for small dogs and we took Angus there while Ryan (Newf) was with the big dogs. Angus ran around a couple of times then jumped the  fence and went to play with the big guys. Like most cairns he is a big, big dog at heart.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Hillscreek said:

"Doing good Macy! Big dogs is the bestest" -  Angus. We went to a dog park when visiting my DIL and their Newf. There was a section for small dogs and we took Angus there while Ryan (Newf) was with the big dogs. Angus ran around a couple of times then jumped the  fence and went to play with the big guys. Like most cairns he is a big, big dog at heart.

LOL!  the other night I was walking her and Monty through the neighborhood that goes to those trails.  I stopped by a friend's house owns the local pet supply store, and who has a scotty and a westie.  Scotty couldn't be bothered as he was looking for voles at the side of the yard, Westie played for a bit, but Macy went mostly for a neighbor's Great Pyrenees who is massive and tried to wrestle him.  Truly she sees herself as a big dog!

EDIT:  this was a gentle pet Great Pyrenees with a great personality.  I would not allow her, or Monty, or even myself to approach a working GP out on the trails, protecting the sheep herds that are being grazed on the public land.  That is a dangerous proposition.  

Edited by sunvalleylaw
  • Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Haven't checked in in a while.  She overall has been settling in fine.  Improving on house training, walking on a leash better, but starting to bark more, especially today.  She was just wound up.  And needed to bark at all the birds in the yard, etc.  I have been reviewing the barking threads and we are starting to implement the ideas. I like the flying hat idea from Idaho Cairns.  Nothing that hurts anything, but gets their attention.  Thanks all!

• Like 1

Idaho Cairns

Let me suggest an Imperial brand hat--made in the good old USA (Denver) and pretty darn tough for a ball cap.  It sails well with great accuracy.  Don't forget the "NO!" as you fling. 
Living with a Cairn is a challenge at first but once you and her sort out who is boss and when some lack of restraint is permitted, the challenge morphs into pure pleasure.
Cairns are wonderful--just keep repeating that phrase--it helps at the beginning.

• Like 1