CairnTalk

Alberta is on fire

Sam I Am

Alberta is on fire. Now over 88,000 have been forced to flee their homes, dogs, cats and other pets left behind, wildlife fleeing for their  lives dodging traffic on the highway. It is horrific. There is no other word for it. This fire has spread beyond anyone's imagination and nothing can stop it now but rain. And Alberta is in a drought situation. It is truly a heart breaking situation with little relief in sight. 

The front line firefighters, emergency medical people, rescuers and just the average person helping out are the true heroes, exhausted, frightened, they continue to try to fight this monster out of control. Bless them each and everyone of them.

http://news.nationalpost.com/news/canada/fort-mcmurray-fire-now-too-large-too-fierce-to-stop-without-rain

http://calgary.ctvnews.ca/video?playlistId=1.2890311

Edited by Terrier lover

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Adventures with Sam &Rosie

Every day when I get home from work I've checked the news to see if it's in control yet. I can't do anything but cry and pray. I feel so helpless. My heart is breaking for all the people who are watching their homes and town burn. I'm at a loss for words.

Edited by Lynn in TN

24 minutes ago, Lynn in TN said:

Every day when I get home from work I've checked the news to see if it's in control yet. I can't do anything but cry and pray. I feel so helpless. My heart is breaking for all the people who are watching their homes and town burn. I'm at a loss for words.

Exactly how I feel too, Lynn.  Tears in my eyes every time I see the pictures or read an update.  I cannot even fathom what it must be like to be evacuated under those circumstances, leaving everything behind.  Praying for rain - lots of it.

Yes, we saw families fleeing flames on the news, and it was terrifying. Looked like an awful disaster movie, only real...

This morning when I walked outside I could smell the smoke in the air here in Minnesota.

Think Alberta has had terrible wild fires in the past (1919 for example) but that doesn't make it any less terrifying now - especially since all the development in the area. No lives lost in that huge evacuation is amazing.  Keep us updated terrierlover. You know our thoughts and best wishes are with you and all Canadians. Sure wish we could send our rain to you. We have had more rain than we know what to do with here in the North Central PA mountains.

• Like 1

The scale and scope of this horrible disaster is beyond my ability to grasp. And when I think of it in terms of the individual families, my heart breaks for them.

I imagine their needs include everything from food & clothing to baby supplies, pet supplies, etc., etc. Does anyone know how to donate funds or if there are distribution points throughout the USA for goods to be collected and sent/flown to Alberta?

FEAR THE CAIRN!

Anyone can donate through the Red Cross.:wub:

• Like 2

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

24 minutes ago, Terrier lover said:

Done.  Thanks for the info!

• Like 2

It's horrifying. I'm so sorry Terrier Lover. I'm sorry, too, that I completely forgot that is where you are!  I pray everyone is safe and is reunited with all their friends and loved ones.

I know our federal government is heavily involved now because it has been declared a state of emergency and if necessary will ask the US for help also (equipment ie water bombers, etc). Thank goodness we have such amazing neighbours south of us.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Terrier lover said:

Important to know:  All individual contributions will be matched by the Canadian government.

• Like 2

So so scary...can't imagine how terrifying it would be to escape through that wall of fire. Some people had to leave their pets behind because they were evacuated from work and couldn't go home. Thanks to all of you folks who are donating to the Red Cross...just heard it might rain on Sunday....fingers crossed.

1 hour ago, hheldorfer said:

Important to know:  All individual contributions will be matched by the Canadian government.

The Canadian government is matching individual donations made to the Canadian Red Cross, so make sure if you donate you go through http://www.redcross.ca

In disasters, cash is the very best thing you can send when you don't live near the community in trouble. The desire to send something oftentimes results in making things more difficult for the communities you're trying to help, as items (water, clothing, toys, etc) takes up precious space to store and precious resources to organize and distribute, and oftentimes aren't actually what the communities need. Giving cash makes sure the organizations helping people (and the Red Cross is amazing) can spend the money on the items that are needed the most, and do so in a way that helps the devastated communities more, by purchasing locally. 

Here's a really good article explaining why cash donations are so important after disasters: http://www.cbsnews.com/news/when-disaster-relief-brings-anything-but-relief/

• Like 3

"as far as i am concerned cairns are the original spirit from which all terriers spring, and all terriers are cairns very deep down inside." pkcrossley

Lynn, 

I've been thinking of you, Alberta, and Canada every day since this story made it to the news. There were always lots of wildfires, and oftentimes major evacuations, when I was growing up and living in Colorado, but I can't imagine something on this scale. Nearly 90,000 evacuated just boggles my mind. 

Please stay safe and know we're all thinking of you and the rest of our neighbors to the north. 

• Like 1

"as far as i am concerned cairns are the original spirit from which all terriers spring, and all terriers are cairns very deep down inside." pkcrossley

All your kind words and generosity brings tears into my eyes. Thank you for being the caring people you are...but then you own a Cairn what else would :hug: you be.

• Like 2

So sad and horrific.  Watching all those people trying to get out and seeing the flames so close made me shiver with goose bumps.  Hope the weather cooperates.  Thanks for the donation info. - Stay safe.  We will keep you in our prayers.

Elsie, Max, Meeko & Lori

Very scary looking pictures have been on our news in UK too, cannot imagine what it must be like to loose everything and or drive away from your home or work leaving all behind!  

www.cairnterriertalk.co.uk

The fire is growing beyond anyone's imagination! By tomorrow it is expected to reach the next province , east of Alberta, Saskatchewan. Syncrude (oil sands) is completely shutting down and moving out all their employees, as the fire is creeping up north to the site also.Edmonton, where we live have many many of the people that lived in Fort McMurray, staying in shelters all over the city. The response in regards to donations has and continues to be incredible. James Taylor (singer) has just said that he is donating all the money made while on his  Alberta tour, to the Red Cross. Another Canadian, Peter Monk, has donated 1 million dollars also to the Red Cross.  But even those that can only donate a few dollars in my mind are also amazing people. It's like a war zone up north. No other way to describe it.

So far they think it will cost over 9 billion dollars to turn this disaster around.

Edited by Terrier lover

I've been checking the news on this every day.  It's heart-wrenching to see the devastation and all the displaced people.  It made me feel better, though, when I saw the post about the dogs and their people being flown to safety.  Thank heavens there are still kind and generous people in this world!

• Like 3

Deep sigh.  Hope you get some rain.  We have your smoke here - you can't smell it but it is hazy.  It's unbelievable.

Elsie, Max, Meeko & Lori