CairnTalk

Old names

Autumn & Lola

A comment regarding Funny Face (Nikki's Yorkie guest) prompted me to ask the question:  if applicable, what was your dog's previous name when you adopted him/her?  Why did you change his/her name?

Mandy came to us without a name (strange but true!)

Molly used to be 'Pebbles'  (She just didn't look like a 'Pebbles'!)

Lola was 'Lulu' (Hubby can't stand the singer with the same name!)

• Like 2

I'd have to look up Packy's original name but Kirby was Ulysses!  So funny for such a little puppy...

• Like 2
Jandy and my Cairns, Kirby & Phinney 

Prissy's original name was Lizzy, her Col Potter renamed her Alexis. We renamed her Prissy because when she came to us she did not like the rain and acted like a prissy girl when it rained, I really don't like the name but oh well. I literally have to drag her out in it to potty. Eric and I wanted to name her Gypsy but the sons would not call her that.

Both of my Cairns really have many names, and will answer to each one. Kelly has about 20, Prissy has about 15 one of them is Doge.

• Like 1

Before he was renamed "Carrington" by Cairn Rescue, his original/real name was Benson. I liked both names, but kept  his rescue name, Carrington. 

Ruffy came with the name "Ruffles", which I shortened to Ruffy because it seemed to suit him better!

• Like 2

FEAR THE CAIRN!

I adopted Loki as a rescue from the local Cairn club.  One of the first things they said was they usually recommend not changing the dog's name, but in this case it would be preferable.  I asked what his name was and she said "Tater Tot.  Ugh!"   The amount of disgust she managed to put into it still amuses me.

• Like 3

Who rescued whom?

4 hours ago, utgaard said:

...they usually recommend not changing the dog's name...

...But one of the cairn rescue groups I adopted from, advocated changing the dog's name. They called it "The Doggie Witness Protection Program". The reason being that occaisionally an owner-surrender will have a change of heart and attempt to trace the dog to its new home to retrieve it. One can only imagine the horrible tug-of-war that can lead to!?

Edited by sanford
  • Like 2

FEAR THE CAIRN!

Col Potter recommended name changes for rescues as their name could be attached to bad situations they come from. You never know what kind of atmosphere they come from. Prissy was considered a senior dog and had no problem getting use to the name change.

• Like 1

Nikki was originally Toto when we got him.  His parents' names were Butch and Priscilla. My dad and I had both already decided without telling each other that our next dog's name was going to be Nikki, so when he told me his choice, I about flipped. We called Nikki "Toto Nikki" for a while to get him used to his new name, but he was only three months old when we got him so it did not take long for him to get used to his current name.  Nicknames are a different story.  Lol. He's used to a bunch of odd nicknames, but the oddest one was one my dad gave him.  He called him Noodle because he was as slippery as a noodle when he did not want to be caught or held! XD 

Funny Face was named by her eighty year old Mommy because her upper jaw is longer than her lower jaw. We offered name suggestions when she got her, but she stuck with Funny Face. I had a hard time talking to Mom about how "funny" various things were while we had Funny living with us this past week.  

• Like 1

Dempsy was Dempsy - it seemed to fit him so I left it.  Elsie was Breeze - Breeze? no.  Had a name tag made at the rescue - she was Elsie even before we walked out the door.  Elsie fit her perfect. :)

• Like 3

Elsie, Max, Meeko & Lori

Jock was Jock...no other name could possibly fit. It's a Scottish name of course, however in North America it has a different meaning. So given his manly man attitude , take no prisoners and fight to your last breath, when my DH brought up that name, no other name ever suited this little fire brand of a Cairn better. :wub::wub:

Rosie is also a perfect name for our little Scotty girl, as no terrier we have ever owned is as kind and gentle as her....well unless you are a....SQUIRRELLY , but Rosie is definitely a very girly girl name. And she is no doubt that.

• Like 4

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Adventures with Sam &Rosie

Aw, I sort of like Tater Tot :( 

When we got Granger back we gave him back his temporary litter name Granger (the others were Red Ryder and Tanner to ID them by color.) His old name was Widget. I liked that one fine but like others with a troubled dog I subscribe to the Brand New Day school of thought, giving them a name unburdened.

• Like 1

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club 

1 hour ago, bradl said:

Aw, I sort of like Tater Tot :( 

Someone with my physique (or lack thereof) should not have a dog named after junk food. :whistle:

• Like 2

Who rescued whom?

2 hours ago, utgaard said:

Someone with my physique (or lack thereof) should not have a dog named after junk food. :whistle:

Tater tots are junk food??????:huh::P

• Like 2

Angus's name is old, as in historically old..........Goes back more a thousand years or more , to the earliest days in northern and eastern Scottish history. Ancient king/god, Angus Og (Scottish Gaelic, Aonghas) helped his people with his wisdom and strength. The name means the Special One, Unique. 

Somewhere in later years Angus got a family crest.

angus-family crest.jpg

PS  Angus cattle got their name from Scottish cattle exported to Texas beginning in 1873. Cattle breeding and competitions among owners goes back to the very earliest history of the area in Scotland.

• Like 4

19 hours ago, bradl said:

I count them as a vegetable :P Tasty, crunchy vegetables. 

Yes Brad... And jelly donuts are not a fruit!?

• Like 3

FEAR THE CAIRN!

10 hours ago, sanford said:

Yes Brad... And jelly donuts are not a fruit!?

Jelly donuts most certainly are a fruit and so is blueberry syrup and apple pie!!! :P

• Like 2