CairnTalk

Rearing younger siblings

Donna Crume

always have to make sure the baby is safe while driving, also tied down so he cannot bother mom while she is shifting them gears!

Children . . . .

Is there a reason they want everything, but what you have given them?  We are still very oral, as is expected.  We have planned for this with toys, be they $1 store or real money Pet’s Mart.  This does not seem to be the current flavor of the mouth, and anything that has been put away or up is.  Yes we are getting bigger, and can reach further.  Yes we know mom’s vocal tone when we have something we should not.  Does this really change anything though, no!  Here is where mom’s patience is learning to grow with us, ain’t she a peach!!  Have to say older sister is even letting him play with some of her toys, apparently not enough though to keep him occupied.  Ah, puppy love!   ;)

• 3 weeks later...

Litl’ boys & forgetful Moms

Well here we are going into summer.  Ah heat and humidity!  When you are young you don’t know different, as we mature you bet your bippy you do.

Grahame will be 6 mos on the 26th of this month, and is a curly little mop.  Looking for things on line as it relates to trims/cuts and think we will go with a puppy cut.  He gets his feet handled quite often as mom mops the morning dew from then daily.  Have a pin brush and trimmer set, I use the former on him weekly, and just run the latter over him while it is on in my hand.  Then mom got brave tonight, don don don don!!!  Snapped on a # 2 comb and went to town, as much as he would allow.  Sloppy for a first cut on him, really wiggly, so head and back legs got basically nothing.  He has to be more comfortable as we go further into summer, and mom never (truly never!) says die.  On that note we will still do the fake hand bit, and know we will get better at the over all.

What mom truly forgot was that she gets all the discarded hair on her and her wardrobe.  Should have put on already in the laundry clothing.  You remember as you go, and hopefully retain for further uses??  We also have an apt. through a clinic here that will disconnect his plumbing on him for a June special of $20, if 6 mos or under, normally only $79.  Much better than the vet request of $230 +.   B)

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Our plumbing got disconnected on Monday - 6/20.  We are suppose to wear the e-collar (cone) for 7 - 10 days, mom is thinking of letting it come off on Sun, Monday for sure.  I'm raring to go, not suppose to be running around, yeah right!, or be too active, again yeah right!!!  I think mom has gotten a jolly seeing me get use to the collar, and I have not had to worry about sister getting my ears, maybe mom should have thought of this thingy sooner?  We also were micro chipped, which makes mom really happy.    :king: 

• 2 weeks later...

Well, today’s topics are hair and almost freedom . . . . 

We have had a previous attempt, really just that attempt, to cut/trim Jr’s hair.  Got a little off then, thought I would approach it differently this time.  Got him to take (hidden in kibble, oohwhahaha) one of his sister’s jolly pills.  Waited 45 min for it to take effect, hoping for a calmer lad to trim.  Well it was and was not a success.  He was not as hiper/bite-tee, let’s just say it is a good thing he is a black dog as the raggedy uneven trim he now has does not show that much?  We will persevere and try again in say another 6-8 wks.

Freedom . . . . or version there of.  On 7/3 our rains had let up and we all (dogs and I) were chilling on the front porch.  Porch is covered and runs the entire width of the front.  Well a neighbor happened by with her dog, and I went down to the sidewalk to talk.  Doing our thing, and out of the corner of my eye a black spot whizzes down the front steps, out into the street and round her dog and my feet.  Yes, Jr has gotten off the porch, nudged the gate open and escaped!  I never had a problem with Torrin and gates/barriers, but Jr will challenge and overcome almost any I set up.  He is flying high at this point, and for once (yeh!!!) mom is quicker then him, and able to scoop him up out a puddle, and get back on the porch.  We are now latching the gate and are really watching him while on the front porch.  (gate is mom made with PVC and yard wire, fine for Torrin, him??? and the street is quiet, thank goodness)                 ;) :P :D

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

our first forrealmomdidnotdoithaircut today - sis got one also, but she is an old pro at this end of the game

416.jpg

419.jpg

• Like 7

Very handsome! 

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Adventures with Sam &Rosie

hey - i know i'm a looker, just look at that profile.  just chuffed mom gave up on trying that hear cut thing, groomer has her beat hands down.  now, i love the maturing lady, but let's get real, her hack job or the professional.  i'm just saying . . . . . .

B)

411.jpg

• Like 1

Scottie snouts are so cute! Glad you got a proper styling little man. 

• Like 1

"as far as i am concerned cairns are the original spirit from which all terriers spring, and all terriers are cairns very deep down inside." pkcrossley

• 1 month later...

Well, it appears we have not been here in a while, yep that is right.

We continue to get on better and better, older sister on a rare occasion initiates play.  Who would'a thought?  Some evenings I don't even need the tube on.  The front room is almost a perfect square, with a rocker (2 of them) facing each other on opposite walls.  Now here is where it gets loud and funny, he starts from behind one, runs to the other.  Peers around it, looking for her position, then dashes for the other rocker.  He can run a perfect figure 8 with her just standing still in the middle of the room, pivoting to face him as he zooms by, and barks at him.  This game can go on for 15-20 mins, or until mom has to make them tone it down.  Playful loud yips in a small room with 2 dogs sometimes is a little much.

We have also progressed in our yard patrols.  We now know what a squirrel is and that they are meant to be chased, to what end??  I am almost afraid to ask.  He is sooo much faster than his sister, I have a very strong fear that he might succeed where she has not as yet, and yes that is his own squirrel-ala mouth.  He has learned thought the finer points of eating rabbit pooh.  Here mom thought he had or was about to out grow the sticks and rocks that make it into the mouth, when this a.m. we came across a pile of these remains and the look of eager anticipation of a snack was hard to miss.  Sister was on his heels, and got him off the pile, then he just went and found another.  Now with this joy being made known to mom here, can anyone give a good idea on how to get sister to stop eating his pooh??  I cringe as I type, I take him out on a leash in the back yard when I think he has to have a b.m., as sister is there to get it warm from the oven before it even hits the grass.  The only way I can beat her is to be attached and close to him and push her away.  Uck!!

We went for a little road trip last week, to visit a friend about 90 miles W of StL, and he slept the entire way coming and going.  He did leave the friend a present (solid jack) in her bedroom, which she did not find and mom did not know of until her bed time, oops!  We had our spa day the day before, and should anyone be interested, his snap is posted on his groomer's FaceBook page at:  https://www.facebook.com/barkavepetgrooming/?fref=ts  on Sept 13.  

https://www.facebook.com/barkavepetgrooming/?fref=ts

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

how do you find a totally black dog in the dark of the night in a dark back yard?  well, a leash works well.  tripping your neighbor's yard light which has a motion detector on it.  or just look through thoughtless stuff until you see and advert for a collar for fido that has a light on it.  tada!!  ain't moms smart!

479.jpg

482.jpg

• Like 3

He sure has grown!

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Adventures with Sam &Rosie