CairnTalk

Screeching?

Rate this topic

MaryellenK

I'm looking for advice as to how best to handle screeching.  Our 9 month old girl, Jax, goes crazy screeching like mad when she sees prey (rabbits, squirrels etc) but has now also started doing it when walking and encountering other dogs and sometimes people.  The noise is unbelievable.  It sounds like she is being tortured. No amount of coaxing with treats or trying to calm her down works.

This is our first Cairn so I'm wondering if others have this problem as well.

thanks!

Bonnie has the screech down pat and she hasn't lost a decibel since I recorded the above!   Mary Ellen, I have had some luck corralling the behavior with a leash and redirecting Bonnie's attention but it is only partial--when these dogs get excited it is really hard to get them reined in.  Try grabbing Jax's snout, force him to look in your eyes while repeating the "NO!" command.  After enough iterations they tend to come around.

Edited by Idaho Cairns

Ah, yes...the Cairn Screech of Death.  What works for us is the penny can (AKA the bark can).  Put some pennies in an empty soda can (or beer can if you prefer!) and tape it closed.  When you want them to stop barking, give your command (we use Enough, but No Bark, Silence, No, or anything will do) and then toss the can in their direction.  The noise startles them and they stop.  Don't throw the can at them, gradually you'll be able to just shake the can, then just show them the can.  Be sure to always say your command, too.  At some point, you can stop using the can and just say your command.

We still use the can for extreme barking or other actions.  Kirby has a tendency to bully Packy and if we notice him starting to stare at Packy or get ready to attack, we can give a small shake and it stops him.  I will say the can doesn't work quite as well with Packy, but he doesn't use the Screech of Death very often.

Jandy and my Cairns, Kirby & Phinney 

Thank you for the suggestions - I'll give them a try.  It's good to know the behavior is normal but it sure is attention getting while out on a walk...lol

So funny!!! I now open the sliding door just a bit before I let Pepper out and let her stick her neck out, otherwise she bolts out barking and screeching at who knows what??....anyhow this ONLY works if there is nothing to bark at....herons, seagulls, squirrels, leaves, etc. don't count!!!

Pepper's Mom

ah, the mellifluous, calming screech of death. our favorite subject. i think there are a few cairn traits for which there is a simple fix, and this could be one of them: trade your dog in for a lab. 

• Like 3

I still have an excitable yipper and he's eleven years old! Nikki used to do the Screech of Death in the car whenever he was left alone in it. I haven't heard him screech like that in a while so he may not have the stamina for it now. 

He still starts hyperventilating before we even get out of the car. Nothing I know of has worked to stop him from squealing, yipping, crying, and screeching when he's left in a nice cool car. Yet after we've been out of sight for five minutes, he calms down and watches everyone walk by without  uttering a word.  He's even watched us walk from one store to the next just in front of the car without appearing the least bit ruffled. brat. 

Edited by Lupinegirl

13 hours ago, Lupinegirl said:

...He still starts hyperventilating before we even get out of the car. Nothing I know of has worked to stop him from squealing, yipping, crying, and screeching when he's left in a nice cool car. Yet after we've been out of sight for five minutes, he calms down and watches everyone walk by without  uttering a word...

I guess Nikki's behavior is what is known as "living in the moment", which is what I understand that our dogs do. The "moment" passes, the tantrum is over and Nikki goes on with the rest of his life... Sitting and watching the uprights on parade pass by the car!?

• Like 1

FEAR THE CAIRN!