CairnTalk

Goodbye Sasha

Islander

Sasha earns the distinction of being an honorary Cairn for the way in which she guided and protected Gus.  The two of them look perfectly happy and comfortable together, as if Gus never even knew he was one tenth Sasha's size.  Rest in peace, beautiful girl.  Gus will miss you terribly.

• Like 2

Oh they look stunning together! How sad to see Sasha cross the bridge. But how wonderful that Gus (and you) could have him your lives. In so many ways dogs learn from other dogs. 

• Like 1

What amazing pictures. Safe journey Sasha.

• Like 1

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Adventures with Sam &Rosie

Wonderful dogs and spectacular photos! So very sad that Sasha is gone. She was a beautiful presence in your lives.

• Like 1

FEAR THE CAIRN!

These pictures of Gus and Sasha are beautiful.  Sorry she has past away, I'm sure Gus will be thinking of her next time he is hiking in the area.

• Like 1

what a magnificent dog! you have made me love her. the big ones go much too soon. i hope you and gus keep your good memories of her. 

• Like 1

Sasha looks like a phenomenal companion and a great friend to Cairn-kind. Please pass our condolences on to her family. 

The two of them look so majestic together. 

• Like 1

"as far as i am concerned cairns are the original spirit from which all terriers spring, and all terriers are cairns very deep down inside." pkcrossley

Aw, I'm so sorry. She was a lovely, regal-looking girl. I'm sure she will be sorely missed by Gus and those that loved her.

• Like 1

What a beauty Sasha was, I have a real soft spot for the Great Pyrenees, I had become very close to one that had been abused to the point that she could never be adopted.  They are such a wonderful breed.  I am so sorry for your loss, I know that Gus must miss her terribly.

Rest in peace Sasha.

• Like 1

Wow - those pictures stop your heart.  Both of them beautiful.  So sorry little Gus for the loss of your best buddy Sasha.  RIP Sasha.

• Like 1

Elsie, Max, Meeko & Lori

That second picture of Sasha and Gus shows both of them in such great form that I had to keep it.  Pictures are great that way - you share a picture and it can take on a life of it's own in someone else's world.  Thanks.

Just looked at them again - ok - I kept the first pic too - which is equally as beautiful. :) 

Edited by Dempsy's Mom
  • Like 3

Elsie, Max, Meeko & Lori

13 hours ago, Dempsy's Mom said:

That second picture of Sasha and Gus shows both of them in such great form that I had to keep it.  Pictures are great that way - you share a picture and it can take on a life of it's own in someone else's world.  Thanks.

Just looked at them again - ok - I kept the first pic too - which is equally as beautiful. :) 

I confess I did the same thing.  Gus and Sasha are part of my screen-saver slide show at work now.

• Like 2

Thanks everyone. I will pass the kudos on to Sasha's mom who took both photos...

Since I wrote the post, I've been thinking about so many other ways those dogs interacted...for example, how Gus would attack Sasha if another dog came by on a hiking trail. He knew he wasn't supposed to "charge" a strange dog so instead he would lunge at Sasha in full play growl. Never could figure out if he was showing off or just discharging his energy in a safe way. Sasha of course would just shrug off his attack. He would do the same thing whenever she came out of the water after a swim. 

Last summer Sasha (age 11) tore a knee ligament out hiking, and in her last few months she was convalescing (only to be struck down by massive cancer) - we kept Gus away because we didn't want her to get too excited. When I came home after saying a long, emotional and treat-filled goodbye to her, Gus spent about ten minutes sniffing my pants. The expression on his face was really striking - puzzled, sad...I know you folks will be able to picture this.

I showed Sasha's mom the post and responses and she was really touched. Thanks again for being here. Best forum ever.

• Like 1