CairnTalk

Stirring it up at the beach

Autumn & Lola

Today we headed for the coast as a miracle descended upon our area of Yorkshire - it wasn't raining. So despite the 43F temps and 28mph winds, off we went. (I am now used to wearing a hat, scarf, gloves and long underwear to the beach, but I digress.)  As soon as we alighted from the car we were in dog heaven. There were dogs everywhere - of every size, shape, color and breed - walking along the promenade, happy, tails wagging, some pulling their leads to get closer to the sea. We made our way to the harbor area.  All of a sudden there was an explosion of barking, snarling and growling. We turned around and take a guess who was in the middle of it all? A lovely wheaten Cairn. I had to laugh at him stirring it up at the beach. Obviously he thought it was *his* promenade for the day. :D

• Like 8

It has been my observation that Cairns do tend to be in the middle of any action, they are very British and fully agree with Winston, in that:"We shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender"

As Cairn owners we should never expect less of our wee little terriers!

• Like 8

The most British thing I've ever experienced was when I visited Portsmouth last June and it was pouring rain with 40+mph winds . . . and many, many people were sitting outside on the shore's promenade eating ice cream. I have to assume the June + 60 degrees made them ignore everything else about the weather. 

Autumn - when I was in Portsmouth I met the sweetest little Westie and thought of you and Lola. I was there looking for some of the locations my ancestors lived in the late 1700s and early 1800s but was having no luck until this Westie came FLYING OUT of her front door DEMANDING TO KNOW WHO THIS INTRUDER WAS ON HER STREET. Once I properly introduced myself and begged pardon for the unannounced invasion of her neighborhood, I realized this Westie had forced me to a complete stop at the very intersection where my family used to live. Bless her little heart. Of course there was nothing left of the original dwellings thanks to the Blitz, but thanks to that little terrier I at least got to stand where my family once did. 

• Like 6

"as far as i am concerned cairns are the original spirit from which all terriers spring, and all terriers are cairns very deep down inside." pkcrossley

Whits - thanks for thinking of us. What a story! That is awesome!  She was your guardian Westie leading to your ancestors! :)

I have sat with my husband outside on the promenade while he is eating ice cream and I am shivering and drinking hot chocolate. :D  I have to say though - he wouldn't brave pouring rain and 40mph winds! (But I know many would!)

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Autumn & Lola said:

Today we headed for the coast as a miracle descended upon our area of Yorkshire - it wasn't raining. So despite the 43F temps and 28mph winds, off we went. (I am now used to wearing a hat, scarf, gloves and long underwear to the beach, but I digress.) 

You've officially assimilated! 

• Like 2

"as far as i am concerned cairns are the original spirit from which all terriers spring, and all terriers are cairns very deep down inside." pkcrossley

You were sensible to make use of the day!  Today we have rain and winds again!  I will wait until better weather before taking Ivy to seaside!

• Like 2

www.cairnterriertalk.co.uk

Let it rip, I have a video from our girls' first visit to the Oregon Coast and while it was absolutely miserable for the humans, the Cairns appeared to couldn't have cared less--it was play time and who noticed the wind, the surf, and the noise?

• Like 9