CairnTalk

Cairns biting at yard tools?

Flatpick

so I am assuming it's a prey drive thing. At only 8 weeks Piper goes crazy when we're out in the yard and I use a very short handled garden hoe to dig up weeds. She bites at the hoe, barks and digs at it with her front claws whenever I chop at the ground digging up weeds. . I should post a video, it's hilarious.  Tho, kinda worrisome as she is so focused on it, it's scary.  BTW- she loves to attack the dandelion clumps and shake 'em till all the dirt is gone, or in her mouth... yuck.

steve

Sounds like the yard here when Malcolm is outside. I have to put him in when I shovel. He will bark and attack the snow shovel grabbing the snow shovel and trying to drag it away. Can't use garden hand tools either Malcolm wants those too.

Here is Malcolm going after the sprinkler. This is an old post he was 1 year at that time. He still goes after everything and he is 7 now.

These little guys really do concentrate on what they are doing that's for sure. Have fun with Piper but you might have to put her inside to get any work done.

Brad thanks for embedding the video.

Edited by Malcolm's Dad
embed video
  • Like 2

Jock even as a mature Cairn had to try to kill the vacuum when my DH was vacuuming. Always locked him in the house when cutting the grass...same with Rosie. It would be way to dangerous to keep them in the yard while the lawn mower was running! I don't think most terriers can be trusted when using tools etc. 

• Like 1

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Adventures with Sam &Rosie

Around here the sprinklers are attacked but both dogs really have something against the snow shovel, except when we want to make a photo memory of the behavior, like the attached, we have to leave them inside when we shovel the decks because they make the chore difficult.  I don't know how many times Sammi has bitten the shovel and the sound of metal against teeth is unnerving, particularly in freezing weather!

• Like 3

Addie was obsessed with the broom and snow scraper when she was a pup. That and obsessively staring out windows for hours on end, hoping to see something exciting.

She's grown out of attacking the broom and stealing the snow scraper. She has not grown out of window staring; 2 night ago she opened the bedroom curtains and stayed up "hunting" until 6am. If you look through past posts, you'll see my panicked post about whether or not her window obsession was unhealthy. Now, I'm thankful for it because It gives her something to do at times when I can't pay 100% attention to her. 

0099__2011_12_07.jpg

0102__2011_12_18.jpg

0154__2012_05_13.jpg

Edited by _whits_
  • Like 3

"as far as i am concerned cairns are the original spirit from which all terriers spring, and all terriers are cairns very deep down inside." pkcrossley

pretty funny in the snow and with the sprinkler.  I'll shoot a video of Piper attacking the hoe, it is funny too. that's a pretty impressive toy collection Addie!  colorful!

steve

1 minute ago, Flatpick said:

that's a pretty impressive toy collection Addie!  colorful!

Amongst those not cheap toys were the three she only ever really cared about:

1) The stolen snow scraper or broom (depending on the season) 

2) A stuffed Pluto that was my childhood stuffed animal and that she stole and damaged enough to make it hers

3) A plastic pickle jar

Also, she wore her harness around as a pup because I needed it for extricating her from trouble. Much easier to grab onto the harness than try to get a good grip on the insane puppy. 

Can't wait to see the video of Piper!

• Like 3

"as far as i am concerned cairns are the original spirit from which all terriers spring, and all terriers are cairns very deep down inside." pkcrossley

3 hours ago, Idaho Cairns said:

...we have to leave them inside when we shovel the decks...

Interesting, Idaho...You say "we" have to leave them inside when "we" shovel...

What's wrong with this picture?...It looks to me like your wife is the only one doing the shoveling, while you are doing the "heavy lifting", holding the camera!

Hmmm...???

Edited by sanford
  • Like 6

FEAR THE CAIRN!

Oh yes, they do tend to obsess about certain things.  Like Terrier Lover, Buffy has to be kept away from both the vacuum and the lawn mower.  (We are convinced she doesn't like anything that makes more noise than she does.)  She also has a "thing" about the garden hoe and sometimes takes offense at the rake.  The garden hose isn't one of her faves either.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, sanford said:

Interesting, Idaho...You say "we" have to leave them inside when "we" shovel...

What's wrong with this picture?...It looks to me like your wife is the only one doing the shoveling, while you are doing the "heavy lifting", holding the camera!

Hmmm...???

Ahh, once again the audience fails to appreciate the difficult artistic work of the documentary director, producer, cameraman, in the process and while the heavy effort appears to be dumped on the shovel wielder and the dogs, please have some small degree of admiration for enormous creative talent that underlies the action here!  Thank you.

• Like 6