CairnTalk

24/7

Rate this topic

Flatpick

24/7... the time required to housebreak a dog...... in the week we have had our new puppy Piper we are getting pretty close to having her poops and pees under control. by taking her out once an hour to 1.5hr from 0500-2100 and 2 times during the night we have pretty much figured out her 'schedule' of relief.  She has learned that outside means "potty" and pretty much takes care of biz in the first couple minutes, especially pee. poops take a bit longer.  The rainy winter weather does move the process along pretty well and when it's not raining she loves to dawdle.  She has gone to the door 3 times to signal "it's time" and everyday she let's go with a "boo boo", our fault for missing the window of opportunity.  anyway we're pretty happy for only a week!

steve

• Like 2

Congrats! It's not an easy job, but it is do-able! A lot of work now will pay off immensely as she grows up.

I like to say that it isn't Addie who is potty trained, it's me. She's got me trained such that I can be in a different room and suddenly just KNOW she's standing silently at the door. Her potties (at age 4) are also like clock-work, so she's my own personal timer. 

Unfortunately for me, the worse the weather, the more my Cairn dawdles. And then she spends 30 minutes in the house acting like I've waterboarded her as she desperately tries to dry off. 

• Like 2

"as far as i am concerned cairns are the original spirit from which all terriers spring, and all terriers are cairns very deep down inside." pkcrossley

Yes, it's definitely a 24/7 job but, as whits said, it will pay off.  It's a good sign that Piper is beginning to signal when she needs to go out!

talk about clockwork!  0450 morning rise, 2 mornings in a row.  yep her system is pretty regular and it's us that have to figure it out!  soooo much fun taking care of another living being!  :wub:

steve

• Like 1

Just like a human baby that gets up in the middle of the night wanting to be fed Piper gets up wanting to go out. Yes the young ones have their own schedule. After a while she will adapt to your schedule and you can get some sleep. Piper is one smart pup already.