CairnTalk

Reilly. Housetraining and other update

Rate this topic

Dogband1

At the end of the evening beautiful Reilly will settle down, and let me gently clip his nails--just tiny amounts.  He will also tolerate a small bit of nail filing-- my true choice for trimming nails.  He also let me trim the excess hair on the bottom of the pads with blunt point scissors.  So all of that is great.  And, he is sleeping from 10 pm to 7 am, no issues ever in his sleeping crate. Yahoo 

He will be 14 weeks this Wednesday.

Trips out to pee are mainly trips to eat snow and ice, smell grass, watch birds, and mess around and maybe pee if I have  tons and tons of patience.  When it is ripping cold, or raining, or pounding snow ...this is trying my patience.  So it goes, we will stay the course.  

Here is the thing, he will sometimes pee outside, get huge praise, then come in and pee again in 20 minutes.  Are we doing something wrong?  We praise, and no longer give treats.  

He he will also stay out there 10 minutes, do nothing, and come right in and pee .....is he just trying us?

stay warm and safe.

• Like 1

Puppies are easily distracted. They may forget to pee when they get outside and a blade of interesting grass trumps their original thought.  

While there are many fairly predictable triggers for peeing (the usual waking up, eating, playing hard, thinking hard, etc.)  sometimes they just gotta go for no reason we'll ever understand.  

That young they pee when it occurs to them to pee.  Your job is to see the thought enter the head, and get them outside before it makes it out the other end. You have 250 microseconds to do so. Success will be variable. All is normal. When they're peeing outside more than inside, you're winning :P 

• Like 5

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club 

Brad's description puts it all into appropriate context. 

At at the risk of stating the obvious, I'll add that we all know that our pups' bladders are very small and although it's pure conjecture on my part, I'll guess that after the pup returns inside, perhaps just one small drop of urine might make its way into the bladder, and that's all it would take to trigger peeing again. 

As is also the case with us uprights, bladder size and (developing) muscle control can vary from one pup/person to the other!

FEAR THE CAIRN!