CairnTalk

Ignore User

bradl

While it's a feature of last resort did you know you can let the forum software ignore specific users for you?

Hover your mouse over the avatar or profile link of the user you would like to ignore and choose Ignore User from the hovercard popup.

ignore.png.a4a563b1eb1d2b814a3a2ea58986a

It may not perfectly insulate you from unwanted content, for example you may occasionally see content from that user in a quote, but it can do a pretty good job of filtering out other people's input, if that's your need.

Admins cannot be ignored so sorry, you're stuck with me. 

Sigh, this appears to be a day for highlighting terrible forum features

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club 

1 hour ago, bradl said:

Sigh, this appears to be a day for highlighting terrible forum features. 

Look on the bright side, Brad:  We have had many, many more good days on this forum than bad ones.  Thanks for being there.

• Like 2

I so enjoy reading multiple and varied posts, even feeling I've got to know folks and their dogs - actually put this the other way round!

Second brads suggestion. Set it up so you can ignore posts though I think I wouldn't do this myself. I take the rough with the smooth and it is very smooth here compare to some other places I've peeped into. I've learned so much, had so much fun, and so many chuckles, shed a tear or two for the sad times. Hoping not to lose all this.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I absolutely agree.  Censoring any poster is, to me, repellent as an advocate of free speech.  Self censorship is OK, I guess, as an alternative (however I never recommend censoring ones self).  So long as I can read and accept or reject a post I am fine.  Everyone is absolutely entitled to their opinion and I refuse to engage in shutting out a conversation so long as I can intellectually make my own decision--if a message is stricken from the discussion I am not permitted that choice.
Profane or unfairly harsh postings obviously have no place here and should be personally rejected--personally.  We are all adults.

• Like 1

Agree as long as ones opinion is respectful (meaning state your own personal opinion without trying to demean others by slagging their vets, diets etc.  ) of other posters opinions and a tone of divisiveness doesn’t start to effect the atmosphere of this forum.  We all love our dogs ...we don’t need to love each poster, but I would hate to see the end of this forum because the atmosphere becomes so toxic that people just get fed up and leave. Unfortunately Idaho adults often don’t act adult like.

Personally for me this site has and continues to be a blessing , through times of crisis, sadness and times of joy and education. I know I won’t stay if all that changes...life is just to darn short. Let’s just all enjoy the lives of our Cairns and friends.

Edited by Terrier lover
  • Like 1

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Adventures with Sam &Rosie

I would stand back-to-back with all of you to defend your right to your opinion, even as it differs from mine.  I know for sure that I have different political leanings and religious opinions than others on this forum, and I am completely all right with that.  Our primary purpose here is to share information, experiences, and stories about our cairns and, as we do, perhaps a little about ourselves. It's meant to be for the love of a specific breed of dog. Talk on.

That said, I grow quite tired of what a former teacher would have called a "yea but..." With a "yea but," we each share our opinions and note our differences.  Then, however, one of the parties adds a final stab or comment, often with a dismissive verbal slam or tweak. An opinion is thus disrespected by the need to be "right," the need to have the "final word," and often by the one who demands so quickly their own right to offer opinions. And the conversation dissolves into mud. It is a sneaky, mean way of dealing with others.  I respect you all too much to do that. As should we all.  

Brad has asked us to think through and edit our comments, and not to constantly quote one source over and over. Also, he has asked that a source quote not be the topic of a post without personal experience and comment. The rules calling for us not to repost topics under new titles is still in effect. 

We need to remember --  even with scientific research and medical opinion --  that over time opinion changes, current thinking becomes outdated, and research is validated or debunked.  I add the 1950s advertisement below as a scary example. 

In the end, I will remember each of you for your dedication to your dog -- and your kindness.  

drs and cigs test.jpg

• Like 2

This, " We need to remember even with scientific research and medical opinion  that over time opinion changes, current thinking becomes outdated, and research is validated or debunked."  is important.  In what research I have seen about canine diets, canine medicine, holistic vet care and/or diet, etc. the studies are very, very limited.  Long term, large group, breed specific research is rare indeed so drawing a firm conclusion about a lot of the quoted "cures" here need to be taken with a grain of salt until/unless we study the background and depth of the conclusions reported. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Guest dog person

Bradl,

"We are 5419 users and have posted over 173762 messages!"       

I would like to  suggest that you may want to weed out and close a lot of these inactive accounts as only a few people participate.    It's rather misleading

Thanks

PS: I found "Delete My Account" in account settings.                                         

I will consider.

Edited by dog person

That particular calculation is part of the default forum software. Over the 17 year lifetime of the forum that is simply how many people have taken a moment to register — sometimes to "lurk" and read a few posts, sometimes to post for a while and wander away. 

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support

Guest dog person

I get it.     However, it does lead one to believe that this is an active forum with a large number of posters with varied opinions to share.

I am sure there are a lot of lurkers, just wish that they would jump in and participate.

So, they just leave their accounts open and wander away....

Edited by dog person

I have noticed over the years I've belonged to the forum that some posters post regularly some lurk a bit and then post, some lurk forever(it seems) and some come back after months or even years to update us. I belong to another forum where you are deleted if you don't contribute regularly. I have thought that was a pity.

There are all sorts of reasons why people only post now and then or stop for a while and come back.

I like it that there is a place we know we'll be welcome whenever we want to read or chat about our beloved Cairn Terriers.

• Like 3

Guest dog person
6 minutes ago, Hillscreek said:

I belong to another forum where you are deleted if you don't contribute regularly. I have thought that was a pity. 

I disagree. Use it or lose it.    I think no activity for 2 years would be a reasonable amount of time, then close the account.

They can always register again as long as they left on good standing.   They can always browse as a guest if they want.

Edited by dog person

@Hillscreek just said succinctly what was taking my long-winded way ten minutes to type out :P  Well done.

Since it's already on my paste buffer …

39 minutes ago, dog person said:

So, they just leave their accounts open and wander away....

Yes. I have dozens or even scores of stale forum accounts for virtually every complex (or expensive) device and vehicle I've owned or contemplated purchasing, and nearly every hobby or interest that has engaged me (and a few that I was merely curious about).

The normal way to "leave" a forum  has always been to simply stop reading and stop posting. 

The phenomenon of self-requested deletion of accounts was previously limited to high-maintenance individuals who felt the need to make "statement" departures, and the very rare person who had a legitimate legal necessity usually related to safety. 

There is a recent trend (driven in part by data standards in various parts of the world) to enable proactive account disassociation. While it is discouraging in many ways, I spent my own money to purchase a relatively expensive plugin to enable deactivation and indeed bought it a second time to update it to the current forum software version because I accept the premise that giving users more control over their account is a generally good thing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, dog person said:

I disagree. Use it or lose it.    I think no activity for 2 years would be a reasonable amount of time, then close the account.

Here you go: https://www.invisioncommunity.com/ 

• Thanks 1

Guest dog person
1 hour ago, bradl said:

That particular calculation is part of the default forum software. Over the 17 year lifetime of the forum that is simply how many people have taken a moment to register — sometimes to "lurk" and read a few posts, sometimes to post for a while and wander away. 

Maybe some of these posters have passed on and forgot to delete their accounts or make arrangements for family to do so.

Edited by dog person

I think Brad,  being the moderator does a bang up job. Not easy dealing with so many personalities .

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

I'm having a rather dark reaction to the direction of this particular thread.  I have firm belief that we don't need a 2nd moderator for the forum--I've managed to enjoy Cairn Talk for many years with out speculating or worrying about where posters go when posters don't post!
Give me a break!!!

Edited by Idaho Cairns
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

If you don't like the rules, don't play the game.

Dog person, you are free to start up your own forum, acting as administrator.

We are all here to talk about our dogs. Dog person - Want to post photos of your dogs (you have two, right?) We love puppy photos.

• Like 2

Guest dog person

The name of this thread is "Ignore User".    My posts have been on topic.

PS: As a victim of ransomware I no longer post photos on the internet.

Didn't see anywhere that it was mandatory to post photos here, have you tried youtube, you may like that site, all kinds of pictures and videos.   Or better yet, Facebook.

Bradl posted a long comment, I think in 2016, that explained that posters have different reasons for joining forums, maybe he could repost?   I tried to find it via the search engine but couldn't.

It was helpful and explained a lot.

Edited by dog person

Why so much anger DP...it’s a forum for the love of our dogs...not a place to bicker.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Guest dog person

Attention Bradl, 

If you have a minute could you please ask your regulars to stop baiting me!    

Thanks

Now, I have a book I need to read, due back at the library very soon.

Have a nice day everyone.

Edited by dog person

" Now, I have a book I need to read"

I'd bet a dollar to a donut that it's not "How to Win Friends and Influence People"!

• Haha 4