CairnTalk

(unhappy) Buffy in her new raincoat

hheldorfer

Islander requested a photo of Buffy in her raincoat.  We had to go for another walk in the rain this evening so I got a pic of her looking completely disgusted.:P

566e24014a839_buffyraincoat.thumb.jpg.73

• Like 6

We had to use the raincoats again this morning - the rain just won't stop!  Buffy immediately pooped and peed and wanted to go back inside before anybody saw her.:P

Poor Buffy! 

Ruffy has been fine with his various raincoats, except for the hoods which seem to bother him... Aside from the fact that he seems to find the hoods generally annoying, perhaps they restrict his vision and the rustling in his ears  annoys him as well.

So here is my bit of (possibly useless) information: I don't bother using the hoods on his raincoats. Of course he comes home with a wet head, but a few swipes with a towel fixes that. The jury is still out as to whether or not Ruffy appreciates this. All I can say is that  having his hood down makes me feel better!

• Like 1

FEAR THE CAIRN!

Oh Buffy your body language is one of pure disgust! Rosie absolutely refuses to move one single foot when I try to put a coat on her....not one toenail moves. Square bottom on the ground and planted....no way mum, no way am I going out there with this on!<_<<_<

• Like 4

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Adventures with Sam &Rosie

49 minutes ago, sanford said:

Ruffy has been fine with his various raincoats, except for the hoods which seem to bother him... Aside from the fact that he seems to find the hoods generally annoying, perhaps they restrict his vision and the rustling in his ears  annoys him as well.

Yes, it seems the hood causes the most trouble.  I relented and pulled the hood down for her this morning.  It helped but she still was a long way from happy.  I think her attitude is:

"Firstly, I don't like walking in the rain.  Secondly, I don't like wearing coats because coats are for sissy dogs.  And YOU are making me both walk in the rain AND wear this humiliating sissy-dog coat??"

• Like 3

Aww.  What a face.  

Nikki can't stand hoods either but he tolerates high collared sweaters.  I sometimes leave the cuff around his ears, much to his annoyance. He always gives me a pitiful, irritated look. XD 

• Like 1

Helene!!!!  Here you have a dog, born and bred and heir to all those rugged, tough, outdoors, little Cairns which have evolved for centuries from a place where miserable and wet weather is the norm and you impose a Lady Ga Ga look on your little charge?  This is precisely why we have towels in our homes, big, fluffy, soak up a gallon, towels that we can throw around our happily wet and muddy little dogs while we whisper, "Now wasn't that fun!" to them.  I stand with Buffy!  Out, out damn raincoat!

Edited by Idaho Cairns
  • Like 5

26 minutes ago, Idaho Cairns said:

Helene!!!!  Here you have a dog, born and bred and heir to all those rugged, tough, outdoors, little Cairns which have evolved for centuries from a place where miserable and wet weather is the norm and you impose a Lady Ga Ga look on your little charge?  This is precisely why we have towels in our homes, big, fluffy, soak up a gallon, towels that we can throw around our happily wet and muddy little dogs while we whisper, "Now wasn't that fun!" to them.  I stand with Buffy!  Out, out damn raincoat!

:shy:You're right Chuck.  I guess I had the crazy idea that Buffy and Ziggy would look cute walking in their matching coats, plus they would look Christmas-y in red.  Boy was I wrong!  I ended up with two miserable-looking dogs who acted as if they'd rather crawl under a rock and die than walk with me.  So much for *that* experiment!  

• Like 1

I have found, upon embarrassing my dogs with all sorts of human frailty in action, that double rations of treats seems to bring them around.  In your case Helene, given what you subjected Buffy to, I think maybe triple rations along with a tearful Mea Culpa might suffice--might. 
In any case, don't expect the same jaunty attitudes from either dog during their next outing in the neighborhood--they know that someone may have seen and surely remembered the outrage you foisted on them.

Edited by Idaho Cairns
  • Like 4

Yes that is a very unhappy look. Malcolm has a suggestion. Hold an umbrella over her like I make my dad do when I won't go out in the yard when it is raining.

• Like 2

Lola says, "Buffy, when your mum tries to put that raincoat on you again, just act like she's trying to impose some medieval torture on you. It works!  Plus, if you don't get wet when you go outside, how can your run all over the house, drying yourself on all the rugs and furniture and skirting boards?"

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Idaho Cairns said:

I have found, upon embarrassing my dogs with all sorts of human frailty in action, that double rations of treats seems to bring them around.  In your case Helene, given what you subjected Buffy to, I think maybe triple rations along with a tearful Mea Culpa might suffice--might. 
In any case, don't expect the same jaunty attitudes from either dog during their next outing in the neighborhood--they know that someone may have seen and surely remembered the outrage you foisted on them.

I took your advice Chuck.  Made a fresh batch of chicken jerky for the dogs last night and gave them some beef soup at dinnertime.  I think they have now forgiven me.  They were obviously delighted this morning when they realized they did NOT have to wear the dreaded coats for their walk.;)

Chuck, of course you are right... Our tough little cairns don't need raincoats. But we don't use "sissy" raincoats for our dogs - we use them to protect us!:lol:

Picture this: bringing a soaking wet dog into a small apartment - walls, floor and people getting doused after one good predictable, inevitable shake! You know the scenario. Raincoats don't solve all the "wet dog" problems, but they do help  keep me dry when Ruffy does his shake-and-spray routine. Raincoats make the job of toweling off a soaking wet dog a lot easier, faster, less messier and labor-intensive.

In a perfect world I would live in a larger apartment or in the country in a house with a mud room or an extra bathroom... Anything that would keep me out of the line of fire from that amazing spray!

Until then, please have sympathy for us poor, apartment-bound cairn owners.☹️

Edited by sanford
  • Like 4

FEAR THE CAIRN!

I understand completely Sanford--our thresholds have all been converted from carpet to hardwood primarily for this reason.  I know that Cairns, given their double coat know how to rid that outer one of moisture and since I wear glasses, know how far the wet flies!  Raincoats, while not even considered here--I can only imagine the ruckus that would cause with our two, the flinching, resisting, rolling around on the ground, and evil facing we would get, are necessary for some but lets be considerate to our Cairns, maybe a matte black, a "heather' grey, perhaps a plaid (tho more appropriate on a snotty scottie), and best of all, a Realtree camo, that would suit our little hard chargers well--giving them that deadly serious, assertive, purposeful look that our Cairns try to present to the world.  That Little Red Ridinghood meets Madonna thing Helene tried to foist off on Buffy just won't do!  Our Cairns are not Floo Floo!  They are not wussies!  They are working dogs!  Let's start dressing them from Bass Pro Shop or Cabela's, and let the Pom Pom crowd do Neiman-Marcus!
Helene, glad you have bribed yourself back in the Dogs' good graces--that always works for us--our "Army" moves on their stomachs and treats are the font of forgiveness in this Dog House.

• Like 5

I have to agree with Sanford.

Idaho you need to move to the Seattle area for a winter or two. When it rains for 40 days and 40 nights and you walk the dog a minimum of 3 to 4 times a day you start to run out of dry towels. :D

Sassy doesn't like wearing a raincoat, but I think she appreciates it when the walk is over. Her underbelly is always wet no matter what. But if she didn't have the raincoat she would take a couple three hours to dry off and by then it's almost time to go back outside.

She has a yellow slicker that I have removed the hood from (can't see with it on) and cut a slot for her tail to stick up, folds nicely around her butt. She still shakes (what I call the doing the floppy fish) a dozen times while on the walk and another half dozen when she goes back inside, but she is definitely dryer.

My carpet is destroyed from 20 years of dog walking in the rain and I can't install wood flooring per the condo rules.

• Like 2

Sassy Jan 22, 2005

AM. CH. THARRBARR LITE MY FIRE ZOMERHOF

My Mother-in-law has a Pomeranian. I posted a picture years of her and Kelly playing 4 years ago. She bought her pom a pink snuggie. The first one was to small so Her and my DH decided to put it on Kelly ( I was snickering in the background knowing good and well what was going to happen) I was right Kelly had it ripped off in seconds to the point that it was unfixable and then proceeded to kill it numerous times. No one could get it away from her until she was sure it could not be put back on. She completely killed it. M-I-Law laughed so hard she cried and said yep she's your dog Lynn, she's not gonna tolerate any fru fur stuff, maybe we could try flannel next time.

I never have tried flannel, or anything else, but I've been thinking I would like to try again with flannel. I would like to buy some flannel and make me and Kelly a flannel shirt and then we would match. haha    I wonder if that would fly?????

• Like 1

We don't use coats here in Minnesota for rain or snow, but I sometimes put boots on Oban in the deep winter when folks start putting ice melt on their sidewalks...

If Oban looks too cold, Steve will sometimes scoop him up and put him inside his jacket. Has to be below zero though. Oban loves the snow - rain not so much.

What I hate? When he gets away from us after coming in after walking in the rain and races around the house drying his belly off on various blankets and the furniture...

He does wear sporty bandanas sometimes for festive occasions...

• Like 2

We tried a cute Christmas outfit on Pepper once - it acted like a Thundershirt and she absolutely STOPPED moving.  She was like a little Cairn statue!!!  That was the end of the cute outfits....

• Like 1

Pepper's Mom