CairnTalk

Roller coaster ride12.11.15

Dogband1

Our roller coaster ride continues.

Brodee died Nov 9th, and I still miss him terribly.  Pause. Give me a moment.

We would have gotten him a buddy after Kyra died in 2013, but we wanted him to be top dog till the end. He was the MAN. Brod MAN!!

We have located a great breeder and will get a new boy early in January, maybe too early, but loving on this one will not diminish the love we had for all our past three.

We used airline crates for crate training, not knowing much better 16 years ago, but now we want to go to a MidWest Life Stages Folding Metal Dog Crate with a moveable wall, to adjust to him as he grows.  I see these sizes available, and I will measure our two, but what would you use for a 15-17 lb cairn?

22 long  x 13 wide

24 long x 18 wide

30 long x 21 wide.

Do you like these crates, or are there better ones?

Thanks for your time. ron

• Like 1

The middle size sounds good to me. With four dogs we have six wire crates in various places around the house and they all seem to be 17 x 24.

We use a mix of plastic and metal crates in the car and the wire car crates are closer to the small size you list.  I actually prefer a car crate to no be too roomy (I feel its safer), but for the house we like to give the extra room. 

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club 

On December 12, 2015 at 8:09 PM, Dogband1 said:

Our roller coaster ride continues.

Brodee died Nov 9th, and I still miss him terribly.  Pause. Give me a moment.

We would have gotten him a buddy after Kyra died in 2013, but we wanted him to be top dog till the end. He was the MAN. Brod MAN!!

We have located a great breeder and will get a new boy early in January, maybe too early, but loving on this one will not diminish the love we had for all our past three.

We used airline crates for crate training, not knowing much better 16 years ago, but now we want to go to a MidWest Life Stages Folding Metal Dog Crate with a moveable wall, to adjust to him as he grows.  I see these sizes available, and I will measure our two, but what would you use for 

30 long x 21 wide.

Do you like these crates, or are there better ones?

Thanks for your time. ron

Ron no advise on the crating but having lost my heart dog Jock a few years ago I feel your emotions full on at the loss of Brodi. A piece of my heart went with the Jockster and even to this day when I hold his collar and urn the grief is right there, raw and painful. But I also have to tell you that having another dog to love is a magical potion. You never replace the Jocks and Brodi's but you obviously are a loving and caring human being , and with that comes a lot of space in your heart to love another little soul. And you will. Rosie our Scottie, ( Scairn, Whits on this site has given our Scottie an honorary name) has filled our house with laughter, games, cuddles and a warm hairy body to curl up to at night.  It will all be ok. A part of Brodi will recide in your new pups heart. Just wait, you will see it.

Edited by Terrier lover
  • Like 1

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Adventures with Sam &Rosie

I use 24x18 for Angus 16.5 lbs. He's had that since he was a pup and sleeps in it every night. Travels in it if we go far. When we stay overnight anywhere it is his home from home.

The dear one who has passed can never be replaced. The pain is bad but it will lessen and the good memories will remain. The new friend will make new memories. Do not compare one with the other. Each cairn in our lives has its own special place.

• Like 2

I'm so sorry for your loss of Brodee. It is never easy, especially when one has the privilege of loving them for many, many years.

I've only crated one dog/Cairn, Molly. Her crate was probably what most would say was too big (I'll bet a 40lb dog would have fit in it LOL) but she was fine with it. She was 14-15lbs.