CairnTalk

Checking in from Virginia

_whits_

Lovely to hear from you Whits!  Addie looks happy and healthy and it's good to know you are getting a bit better with your treatment.  God bless Addie for being so attentive and protective.  She's a very, very good girl.  

Thanks for posting the adorable pics too!

Good to hear from you, fellow NOVA resident.  My my. Addie does have some adorable, and some not so adorable, habits.  I'm cracking up about the curb balancing and the curtain peeking. My boy nudges curtains and doors aside too. Good luck finding a good place to move to.   I had troubles signing in after the site was moved so I finally had to look up which email address I'm using for it. 

Lovely Pics! Just find Addie's ear fluffs so adorable. :)

So good to hear from you and that you are moving! Wow, how bad is that,  having low end twits for neighbours trying to blow the place up by leaving the gas on. 

Addie knows you are having some health issues and no doubt totally gets that and feels the need to protect you. Jock was very much the same. Fiercely protective! Rosie on the other hand loves everyone...not sure if I like the.

Keep in touch, we all miss stories of you and Addie.

• Like 1

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Adventures with Sam &Rosie

Angus very happy to see and hear about his special friend - great pics he says.

Glad your meds are helping. Hoping you find an apartment with more congenial neighbors!

Loved the pix of Addie... Are you sure you're not getting her ears ready to enter the Skye Terrier judging?:P(See attached photos).

images-1.jpeg.fef665c72fc5229c07305b0947images.jpeg.9779a8be49ba1c832ceb9c2b82cd

P.S. Hope you are feeling better!

Edited by sanford
  • Like 3

FEAR THE CAIRN!

Great to hear from you, Whits. The pics of Addie are precious. I am glad she is enjoying daycare.  I'm sorry about your diagnosis and the crazy neighbors. Sheesh, you certainly don't need that aggravation when you're dealing with your health concerns and that it is putting Addie on edge.  I hope you find another place very soon!

Addie is such a pretty girl, her coat is amazing, I love the color.  She sounds like such a good girl and to be so protective watching over you just tugs at the heart strings.  Keep the photos coming, I could look at them all day long.

• 1 month later...

I just wanted to give you all an update that Addie and I have moved into a lovely new apartment in Northern Virginia. We stayed in the same town, but moved closer to her doggie day care (4mins drive to get there!).

If you recall, we were living next to a father (70s) and his son (30s) who kept leaving their gas stove on but unlit repeatedly for DAYS at a time, with them coming and going like there wasn't an overbearing natural gas smell pouring out of every crevice of their apartment and straight through the attic into my bedroom. On New Year's Eve Addie and I were surprised by a visit by the local police, who wanted to know if I'd seen the son, as he was a wanted criminal. The apartment complex had no interest in evicting the tenants (who had multiple lease violations even before the arrest warrant came to light) and the police never got around to arresting them either (despite asking me to call every time I saw them, and me calling multiple times to do so). It made Nov-Jan difficult as I never left Addie home alone there because it just wasn't safe (even after installing a gas alarm I didn't feel safe there with her, let alone with her alone). I expedited our exit strategy and let the apartment complex know I would not be paying any penalties for moving out early.

It was like night and day when we finally made the move happen. Addie went from barking at every noise, and crying any time I left her at day care, and generally being anxious and loud to acting like she's always lived in the new place -- even when everything we owned was in boxes for days at the new place. Within 72 hours she knew exactly where to go when I said "take it to the bedroom" during our nighttime treat ritual. She also claimed a new watchdog spot, perching on the arm of the couch. She bounds through the new courtyards during potty time. She wasn't even the slightest bit phased when the worst snowstorm in decades hit the D.C. area; I've taken to calling her Hilary for the first European to climb Everest, thanks to the snowdrifts she clambers up.

When Addie was a puppy, I put a lot of effort into taking her with me everywhere I could so I could expose her to new places and situations, so she's always been an adaptable dog, and a great companion on vacations. But I am simply astounded by how quickly she adjusted to our new home, especially in light of the extreme stress she was under previously and her resulting anxious behavior. It's like she's always lived here. She's even (once again) figured out the perfect angle to headbutt the corner of interior doors so she can explore every room, whether I want her to or not!

I've attached a picture of Addie enjoying the closet she broke into, and a picture of Addie on her new perch (I like to say I have a cat now). 

FullSizeRender.jpg

IMG_1743.JPG

• Like 7

"as far as i am concerned cairns are the original spirit from which all terriers spring, and all terriers are cairns very deep down inside." pkcrossley

Sooooo glad you moved and that it's really worked out well. Addie is adorable and obviously feels the good karma surrounding her. :P:P

• Like 1

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Adventures with Sam &Rosie

Nice update again.  Happy for you all. :D Yes Addie you are a smart little pooch and your face shows it.  Thanks for the pics - adorable.

• Like 1

Elsie, Max, Meeko & Lori

Really glad you and Addie got the living situation resolved.  I experienced this kind of difficulty the last time I was living in an apartment.  I ended up moving to another apartment in the same complex...far away from the offending neighbors, whom I understand got evicted shortly after.

Like the bit about Addie head-butting doors.  Cairns are so inquisitive and have a lot of ingenuity as Addie has demonstrated!  :)

• Like 2

Max and Nelly
signature.jpg.1a2f02ae93418630654caf879c6d4783.jpg

Addie's color is definitely changing, but it's hard to explain. Certain parts (her face, feet, and the racing stripe she has down her back) are getting darker, and certain parts (her neck and ?butt?) are getting lighter, and then she's getting random spots of a dark auburn red in places (a spot on her nose, specks in her racing stripe). It's so fun to watch the changes, although it's my parents who notice the the changes the most when they come by to visit every couple of months. 

• Like 1

"as far as i am concerned cairns are the original spirit from which all terriers spring, and all terriers are cairns very deep down inside." pkcrossley

9 hours ago, tlwtheq said:

Like the bit about Addie head-butting doors.  Cairns are so inquisitive and have a lot of ingenuity as Addie has demonstrated!  :)

The best is when I'll close a door (like say when I need to use the restroom) and within seconds I'll hear a BAM and the door flings open, with Addie standing triumphantly on the other side. But instead of coming in, she just gives me that Cairn stare of determination and then walks away into another room. Like, "I didn't want to be in there, I just wanted to let you know that you DO NOT close doors on me. Thank you. Goodbye."

• Like 5

On February 4, 2016 at 9:04 PM, _whits_ said:

The best is when I'll close a door (like say when I need to use the restroom) and within seconds I'll hear a BAM and the door flings open, with Addie standing triumphantly on the other side. But instead of coming in, she just gives me that Cairn stare of determination and then walks away into another room. Like, "I didn't want to be in there, I just wanted to let you know that you DO NOT close doors on me. Thank you. Goodbye."

I get that sometimes, and sometimes I end with real life fuzzy slippers coming in and dozing off on my feet. Nikki still gets anxious if I shut myself in my room and a head butt fails to open the door so I've gotten used to leaving doors open a crack in every room I go in. When I stay at a hotel or someone else's house, Nikki usually follows me into the restroom, which of course makes it a little awkward moving in the small space with a two foot long terrier torpedo stepping on my feet. Lol. He's good company though.

Our snow mountains all finally melted to mole hills today thanks to all the rain.  Nikki decided today that the grass was unsuitable for his needs so he had to show that nice thin soft snow who was boss by trekking out in it.  He did not like being too short to see over the snow for a week. He sank when he tried to climb it. Lol 

Addie's pictures are adorable. I love her coat coloring, too. That's awesome that she has settled in so quickly. She probably feels better not having those fumes in her nose. 

• Like 1