CairnTalk

Not on my head Mum!

Sam I Am

So Rosie being a Non show Scottie, a bit of a weenie and always has been clipped and not had hair stripped , will not allow me to clip the top of her head. Not that she is aggressive at all, because there is no dog sweeter then her , but as I have said in previous posts how do hold down jello! I have  tried many different tricks but the minute those clippers get close to the top of her head and ears, it's game over. I then resort to thinning shears to cut off as much as I can but I am afraid she always has that "abandoned shelter dog look" instead of the sleek groomed head that A Scottie is supposed to have. She still looks adorable but with a permanent bed head appearance. :cry: any suggestion to make her look like a princess? (Although she is one anyway)

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Adventures with Sam &Rosie

Get her a crown? :D  That would convey princess status and hide any bed head!

Lola is taking umbrage with the comment that 'there is no dog sweeter than (Rosie)'. Lola says, 'My mummy tells me every night when she tucks me in that I am the sweetest dog in the whole world!'   Hey, I dunno. Sometimes Lola asserts herself and sometimes she's all chill. :D

I'm sorry I don't have any suggestions. We have to 'hold down jello' (love that!) when we try to clip the two very long chunks of hair that insist on growing in front of her eyes.

• Like 2

Well I suppose there could be room for two dogs being the sweetest in the whole world Lola... maybe although I am a princess!

Rosie

• Like 1

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Sweet? No desire to be that. I'm the best, boldest, most fun loving, and snugliest dog in the world - that's about right I think. Angus

I don't know anything about grooming Scotties. With Angus I hold his muzzle gently but firmly, then say "let me see" and quick pull a few hairs. Do this now and then and more or less keep him neat. Have done this since he was a pup so he has learned to put up with it. Afraid to use scissors. 

• Like 2

I do think it is funny that we feed, water, shelter, walk, hug, kiss, cuddle, snuggle and LOVE these dogs so much, but once they see scissors or clippers - where do their little minds go? "OMG s/he is going to murrrrrrrrrrrrder me!" :D

• Like 4

I have the children's scissors with the rounded tips. I hold my hand over his eyes and lift the hair with my fingers then snip. He doesn't sit still for long so it has to be done quickly. Done this way I don't take the chance of poking his eyes. Don't get a good looking snip either. Sometimes one side is shorter than the other. That's ok. The hair isn't covering his eye.

Grooming noose? 

41w-pSW2ZDL._SX425_.jpg

WIth that long scottie muzzle you may also be able to grip it in one hand while you buzz with the other. 

Echo used to spin like a rotisserie even in the noose, It was either a two-person job or I had to put her in a headlock/bodylock under one arm while I yanked with my free hand. Très élégant. 

• Like 2

CAIRNTALK: Vote! |  Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club | 🗓️ 2023 Cairn Calendar

I do have a noose and a proper grooming table  but I am absolutely terrified that she will jump, slip or fall of the table , breaking her neck on the noose While being hung. Yikes. That must happen?

I think it's the sound  of the clippers on her head and near her ears that make her flip out. She always jerks away and I am scared I will cut an ear or worse damage an eye. Am I destined to have a mop headed Scottie. :) Or  :( not sure cause she is cute.

image.jpeg

• Like 1

Well an unattended dog can certainly eventually strangle itself by jumping off the table and being left there, but since she's never going to be unattended, that's not going to happen. 

I have indeed seen a dog at a show  fall off a table while someone was turned away and be momentarily suspended until lifted back up. Traumatic for the owner but not life threatening and the dog seemed utterly unfazed. 

I doubt breaking their neck is likely, if even possible. *  I'm guessing you'd have to engineer a much longer drop.  Even at the weight of a typical human with our scrawny necks requires 5-9 feet to generate enough torque, apparently. I have no intention of researching this one any further!

* I have no doubt that someone, somewhere is eager and able to find a rare example to contradict.

Edited by bradl
Eschew hyperbole
  • Like 1

CAIRNTALK: Vote! |  Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club | 🗓️ 2023 Cairn Calendar

I agree, the bed head look is adorable. Hmm. Do you have a massaging vibrator or even a vibrating toothbrush? You might be able to help her adjust to the feel of a vibration.  

That said, I too have a hard time holding my jello dog when I try to clip his eyes.  After reading about the various dogs in that Cairn Origins thread, I swear my long backed, silky haired thirty pounder is a throw back to a Clydesdale Terrier.  He's chunky, short legged, and longer than my shoulders are wide. It takes two people to hold him and a third to do anything with him when he wants to buck and thrash.  Thankfully he's a proper gentleman ninety nine percent of the time and I can usually trim his hair while he's sitting quietly, unrestrained, in front of me. He seems to rebel more against restraint than the actual trimming but he does lose patience very quickly and he's constantly looking in every direction while I'm trying to reach for his hair.   Agh. They're all dignified, Royal toddlers. Hehe. 

11 hours ago, Lupinegirl said:

Hmm. Do you have a massaging vibrator

That's a bit personal, dontcha think? :D:D:D

• Like 1

I just had an idea, not sure if it has any merit, but here goes.

Terrier Lover, if you already have a table and noose, how about putting Rose in a tub on the table, or a very sturdy box, so she can't jump/fall off the table?  I know it wouldn't work to trim her body that way, but it should work to trim her head.

How about hanging a chew toy or treat from the noose neck as well, to keep her head up and keep her focused on something other than the buzzing of the clippers?

Maybe Blu-tac on her feet? :D

• Like 2

Living in the middle of a large, heavily populated, dog-loving city as I do, I constantly encounter terriers of every size and shape, in every stage of coat condition... Many who've just stepped out of the grooming salon, to terriers who happily look like they never met a clipper, or scissors, let alone a stripping knife!

Whenever we encounter a well-groomed dog, particularly a cairn, I resolve to strip Ruffy or call the groomer for an appointment. But for some crazy reason, after he is trim and neat, I find myself looking with envy at the cairns, (like Idaho's), who are left to go natural, with long beautifully overlapping thick layers of harsh, intact coats!

So what can I say? When it comes to looks, I guess I just love all dogs in general and cairns in particular... whether they are shaggy or trim! This goes double for shaggy-looking cairns. IMO, unless we are showing our cairn, we can have lots of latitude when it comes to the coat, hair over the eyes, etc... To me, they look good no matter what. This keeps me from obsessing and tussling with my "jello" dog on the grooming table. Makes life more pleasant for both of us!

• Like 4

FEAR THE CAIRN!

I have another thought. How about you just don't bother. I probably wouldn't if I hadn't worked on Angus since he was a pup. I was all gungho when he was a pup - you may remember a zillion posts I made on how to strip and trim etc. Well I did learn and did that for a couple of years. However Angus's hair is very slow growing and it was months before the whole coat came back. Eventually I relaxed and just let things happen. I noticed a lot of hair fell out by itself when brushing him or with the minimum of pulling. I also noticed that if one eyebrow didn't quite match the other I didn't care and neither did he.

Of course we are not city folk and tend to be very casual in our dress. Wore flannel shirts and jeans long before the Boston crowd discovered them:lol:

Edited by Hillscreek
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Hillscreek said:

..I was all gungho...you may remember a zillion posts I made on how to strip and trim etc...Eventually I relaxed and just let things happen.,,

I do remember your posts from those days, Hillscreek. Ruffy and I related to them and followed your progress closely. Interesting to learn that Angus has helped you evolve and learn to relax... Good boy, Angus!:lol:

FEAR THE CAIRN!

4 hours ago, Autumn & Lola said:

That's a bit personal, dontcha think? :D:D:D

Whoops! Lol. I meant the ones for shoulders and backs. I have a big one that wraps around my shoulders. Sorry. I shouldn't try to post on forums in the middle of the night or first thing in the morning when I wake up. I'm not thinking or proof reading clearly then. Hehe.

• Like 2

I only strip Kelly when she is scratching a lot. She tends to do that in the fall. Even then I don't believe her bottom half has been stripped at all for the past 2 years. The poor little thing looks like an abandoned dog. I haven't even touched Prissy's fur it's just now getting long enough to barely cover her eyes.But they are still so cute! I  I have changed a lot because life happens. Between numerous deaths in my family, my illness, things that use to be important to me doesn't seem so important any more. I would much rather spend my extra time playing with my dogs than grooming them. I have more of a Cairn outlook on life than I ever did before. I love the non groomed terrier better. Terriers especially Cairns are cute no matter what we do to them; groomed, half groomed, not groomed at all, covered in mud they'll always be cute and that includes little Scotties like Rosie she is a real beauty.

• Like 4