CairnTalk

Best method to dry a wet cairn?

sanford

This question is so basic, I almost hesitate to ask, but I'm prompted by the approaching wet winter weather and the memory of how bad it was last year...

As all of us cairn owners know, our terriers are built low to the ground and in a hard rain/snow they are not only good and wet from the top down, but from the bottom up as well. To dry Ruffy last winter I used terry cloth towels which were ok, but not great, (do they no longer make these towels the way they used to?). I also tried synthetic micro-fiber towels, (supposedly super absorbent, but not really). Paper towels did a good job, but I had to use a ton of them! I also inherited assorted "doggy" towels of various sizes, shapes, and degrees of absorbency.

With the exception of the paper towels, everything else seemed to mostly move the water around, instead of sopping it up.

Is there a better way? Any suggestions? I'm stumped!?

Edited by sanford

FEAR THE CAIRN!

I recently bought a couple of Dog Drying Gloves from eBay but amazon here also does them [ http://www.amazon.co.uk/Super-Absorbent-Drying-Microfiber-Dyring/dp/B00ICMB24Q/ref=sr_1_2?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1449132966&sr=1-2&keywords=dog+drying+gloves] and am sure they have them in USA and have found one of those drys Ivy very well, she does try to bit it though, but it does not take long to get her dry.

www.cairnterriertalk.co.uk

We use old bath towels - not the really thick ones though because they are too bulky.  The "pre-used" towels seem to be more absorbent.  Wrap dog in towel like a baby and rub vigorously.;)

• Like 2

For just plain wet, we always use old bath towels to dry them off.  We just wrap them up like a baby and dry.  Packy loves the rubdown but Kirby has more important things to,do and just wants it over.

Once we hit snowball season, it's a different challenge.  We get off what we can with towels and maybe holding little feet in our ha do to melt some off but otherwise, we just put them in the bathroom, shut the door and let them melt and lick.  Fter about 10 minutes, we let them out and mop the floor with the old towels.  It works for us...

Jandy and my Cairns, Kirby & Phinney 

Over the years have accumulated a whole batch of  "dog towels" i.e. old human towels now only for dog use. They range from ultra thin to middling thick. Am so used to years and years of wet retrievers that taking care of Angus is a snap.

Choose right thickness of towel for amount of wet and mess on dog. Wrap and rub.

Does the job for Angus. His legs do not have as much hair on as some cairns so his snowballs are smaller and come off easier. Amazingly he doesn't seem to mind and may even enjoy it as he doesn't run off when I get towel out or struggle when I'm rubbing him. Remaining damp dries off quickly from that harsh hair and his undercoat is never wet except where thin or lacking on belly.

• Like 1

I'm glad I asked!... Old bath towels sound like a good idea, they do seem more absorbent than the newer ones which are just too thick and awkward to handle. I've actually used washcloths with some success, but it takes at least 4 to do a decent job: 3 rainy walks a day X 4 washcloths = 12 wet washcloths hanging in the bathroom!:shock:

I appreciate the links to the pet drying gloves/mitts. I inherited 2 of these, but haven't found them to be very absorbent. However, one link shows a microfiber doggy bathrobe... a product I never could have conceived of. I think I will try it. I like the idea of drying Ruffy and putting the robe on him while he's still damp so the process can complete itself!:)

Thanks, everyone!

Edited by sanford
  • Like 1

FEAR THE CAIRN!

10 minutes ago, sanford said:

However, one link shows a microfiber doggy bathrobe... a product I never could have conceived of. I think I will try it. I like the idea of drying Ruffy and putting the robe on him while he's still damp so the process can complete itself!:)

Great . . . now all our Cairns are going to want bath robes for Christmas.:P

• Like 3

I just sent away for a bathrobe for Ruffy. I found one on Amazon that is cotton terry cloth... not synthetic microfiber. Can't speak for Ruffy, but I think I'm going to like this a lot!

P.S. Dishtowels are a great suggestion, lindasue!...They seem like they would be the perfect size. I actually have some old, terry cloth ones that I was going to ditch, but now they will be recycled for Ruffy!

Bring it on, Old Man Winter... Thanks to CairnTalk, we're ready for whatever you throw at us!:P

• Like 1

FEAR THE CAIRN!

Cotton terry cloth will absorb more moisture than will polyester terry cloth.

Fabric softeners, including dryer sheets, will reduce the ability of terry cloth (and others) to absorb water.

• Like 3

Ya, I was just wrapping up on my gifts today, but I have to check out the bathrobes - they just sound to cute.  Then he will need a recliner and doggie slippers.  Before you know it Demps will have ME fetching HIS slippers. <_<

I too use old towels - the bigger ones I cut in two.

Edited by Dempsy's Mom
  • Like 2

Elsie, Max, Meeko & Lori

6 hours ago, hheldorfer said:

Great . . . now all our Cairns are going to want bath robes for Christmas.:P

Well Angus does have all the dog towels I spoke about but he didn't know there were bathrobes nor did I. So should I get him one - so smart and so apres toweling suitable? He's my only boy at home now so OK to spoil him right?

• Like 2

I got home from work tonight and it was pouring rain. What is amazing, with Sassy wearing her yellow raincoat and doing a half dozen "floppy fish shakes" outside before entering the house and another half dozen once inside and then dragging herself across 30 feet of carpet she is still soaking wet. And then she  runs in terror of me drying her off with a towel. :shock:

• Like 1

Sassy Jan 22, 2005

AM. CH. THARRBARR LITE MY FIRE ZOMERHOF

I use old bath towels, hand towels and wash clothes on my sweet pups. As they often have mud on them, (and sometimes tomatoes hehe) I'm not about to use good ones.

13 hours ago, remltr said:

... she  runs in terror of me drying her off with a towel. :shock:

Have you tried a terry cloth lasso?? 

FEAR THE CAIRN!

We need pictures of the Cairns in their bathrobes!  Especially one of Dempsey in the recliner with his slippers on, while Lorie is fetching him a treat...  ;-)

• Like 2
Jandy and my Cairns, Kirby & Phinney