CairnTalk

Possible relocation of Status Updates

bradl

Status vs Post  

19 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think forum activity overall would be increased or decreased by moving status updates to their own page?

• Increased
    • Decreased
    • No effect

I'm thinking of moving the status updates to the Activity tab, with its own page. The reasoning as follows:

• on a page of their own, longer statuses can be read in their entirety, without the truncation that is used in the sidebar feed
  • on a page of their own, more statuses can be listed without affecting page layout
  • reducing the number of database queries required to fetch and display front page content may improve front page load time
  • statuses are superb for updates that aren't really sensible as topics and I like the sense of connection they provide; however I am somewhat concerned that new users in particular sometimes post statuses that really should be forum topics — I think this may be caused by the prominence and ease of posting a status versus creating a topic
  • I suspect that forum activity overall is reduced by the prominence of status updates
  • because statuses are visible only to logged-in members, significantly useful content can sometimes be lost to guests and search indexing, which is how most people find their way here

Change is hard and I know I've already thrust change upon you with this recent update and consequent redesign. While I ponder whether to move status updates or not I'm curious about whether you think you post more or less as a result of the introduction of status updates.

Edited by bradl
it's "its" dagnabbit

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club 

Can I change my vote? LOL I read this question in the sidebar (and voted) without seeing the entire post until just now. :shy:  I now think moving it makes a whole lot of sense.

Oh that's good because I want to change my vote too.

The thing with updates is that there are short comments interesting chitchat, mixed in with updates that are a longer item - a topic like you mention Brad.

Also depending how I access the forum I sometimes bypass the sidebar an miss updates.

Must say I don't fell strongly about it so whatever works best for most is fine with me.

I'm beginning to get used to the new activity stream (unread content)  and finding that for catching up it pulls in practically everything going on in a pretty handy way. On mobile, unread content is the newspaper icon.

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support

• 2 weeks later...
On November 19, 2015 at 3:18:10 PM, bradl said:

on a page of their own, longer statuses can be read in their entirety, without the truncation that is used in the sidebar feed

That's the reason I vote for a page of their own

FEAR THE CAIRN!

Digging in I've found that the update are *still* truncated by number of lines, but at least on their own page the lines are longer and are much less frequently truncated. Plus I can bump the number of lines up. 

The replacement page is currently running (http://www.cairntalk.net/status/ or browse there via ActivityStatus Updates).