CairnTalk

Had to Give Up Tess

LindaMC

Sorry I haven't been posting lately but we've been going through a lot in the last month of so.  As most of you are aware, we had two dogs, Maisie, our 2.5 year old Cairn Terrier and her big sister Tess, a 3 year old German Shepherd.  They always got along famously, they would play together, sleep together and Tess seemed to always watch over Maisie.  If we were out for a walk and Maisie, being the little outgoing friendly girl that she is, would always want to go up to other dogs and say hello but Tess didn't always like her doing this and would bark her disapproval if she thought Maisie was in any kind of danger.

This went on until recently when they began challenging one another over toys, our affection, etc..  One day a few weeks back when we were out in the yard; I was focusing on cutting back some shrubs and really wasn't paying much attention to the two girls who were playing with a ball.  Suddenly I heard this gut wrenching scream from Maisie and turned to see Tess on top of Maisie biting her.  I was horrified, Maisie was in a submissive position and yet Tess was not letting up.  She was biting her!  No matter what I did, she would not let up and when she did, Maisie went after her, challenging her again and again.  The only way I could break it up for good was by putting a shovel in between them.  This was the worse experience, I can't even tell you how scared I was for Maisie.  She ended up having two small puncture wounds on her head and one on her upper chest.

What absolutely baffles me was later that day, Maisie was right back jumping up giving Tess kisses and playing like it never happened.  I took Maisie to the vet and she was okay, thankfully; but, as heartbreaking as it was, I just could not take the chance that this would happen again so we made the decision to let Tess go.  We had a great home for her to go to, a lot of our friends were crazy about her. She is now living with her trainer, who she adores,  She also has a shepherd older brother.  It was so hard letting her go but we truly believe that we made the right decision.  She could have killed Maisie.  I was told at the beginning that two females close in age wasn't a good fit, especially these two who are both very headstrong.  So I've been mopping around missing Tess terribly but know we did the right thing.  Maisie misses her too, but is getting better every day.  She's not looking for her any longer or sitting at the slider crying all day as she did the first full day that Tess was gone.

Thanks for listing, sorry to have gone on like this but it's the first time I've spoken about it since she's left.

Edited by LindaMC

So, so sorry to read this. I can only try to imagine how sad and devastated you must feel, but you saved Maisie's life, and thankfully, found a good home for Tess with her trainer... I hope you can focus on these good outcomes as you deal with the difficult emotional fallout.

Although I believe that you did the right thing in making this hard choice, more experienced folks on this site might even have some alternatives to offer you that would allow Tess to return, but I'm not qualified to speculate on that possibility and will leave it to others to comment.

All else aside, you have Maisie to hug and cherish and that is a blessing for you both!

Edited by sanford
  • Like 1

FEAR THE CAIRN!

I was very sorry to hear of this but I think you chose the best, most workable option.  I am intimately familiar with the intensity of dogfights and understand how shocked and frightened you were when Tess attacked Maisie.  To live with the possibility of another attack, day in and day out, would wear you down and take away the enjoyment you get from having dogs. 

Tess is apparently happy with her trainer and Maisie may enjoy having you all to herself.  It will work out. :hug:

• Like 3

I was very sorry to hear of this but I think you chose the best, most workable option.  I am intimately familiar with the intensity of dogfights and understand how shocked and frightened you were when Tess attacked Maisie.  To live with the possibility of another attack, day in and day out, would wear you down and take away the enjoyment you get from having dogs. 

Tess is apparently happy with her trainer and Maisie may enjoy having you all to herself.  It will work out. :hug:

That's just it, keeping them separated and constantly being on guard was wearing me out and it wasn't enjoyable, always wondering if an attack is on the horizon.  German Shepherds need strong leadership and if not given, they will take over.  Tess was very spoiled, my husband let her get away with a lot, too much for my liking.  I too found it hard not to spoil her, she was so sweet and such a good girl in every other way.

GTTD's, her trainer's was the one who advised me not to get another female but I fell in love with Maisie and wanted to give her a good home.  I never thought about the consequences because they got along so famously for 3 years.  Both her and her son, who is also a trainer and has worked extensively with German Shepherds think that it would work out but they would both have to be managed 24/7.  We have a small 2 bedroom ranch and there's not a lot of room to keep them separated all the time. 

We really had to think long and hard about this, it is a done deal.  We plan on putting our house on the market next spring and moving back closer to the city and Tess would be much better off up here where she gets to go out on adventures every day, walking trails, running in fields and swimming in lakes/ponds.  I will always miss her but I will be happy knowing that she's in a wonderful home.

Edited by LindaMC
  • Like 4

Sorry to hear Tess is not with you and glad Maisie is ok. I think you made the right decision and a good one. Tess is with good people that you know and trust. Agree with hheldorfer Maisie might like having you all to herself once she gets over missing Tess. Good luck with the house.

• Like 2

That must have been really difficult for you. But you know Tess is in a good home, loved by her new owner, and with a room mate her size. Living in constant anxiety, waiting for something bad to happen is just way to stressful. You did the right thing.

Trust a Cairn and most terriers for that matter, to continue on fighting even when their very life is in danger , it's what they do. I know Jock would have never backed down from a fight to his last breath. One of the many reasons we never went to off leash areas.

Maisie give your mum extra cuddles ! :)

• Like 3

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Adventures with Sam &Rosie

Actually, to my surprise, Maisie is going exceptionally well.  The first full day she looked for her everywhere and waited at the door thinking that she would come home.  She also cried a lot that day.  The next day, after coming home from her walk, she ran around looking in every room for her but then settled down.  I played with her a lot the first few days and now, after a couple of weeks, she's showing no signs at all of missing her.  She seems to like being the only dog now; she's getting a lot more attention and she gets to play with her toys; something that she couldn't do much of when Tess was here.  Tess would end up taking the toys away from her, even though she didn't want to play with them.  That was the first sign that something might be up with these two.

I really don't think Tess will be coming back.  The only way that would happen is if they didn't want her and they're crazy about her.  I also signed an agreement in order to protect all parties involved.  It was the right thing to do.  If I was taking in a dog, I would do the same thing.  I wouldn't want the previous owner wanting their dog back after I'd become attached to her/him.

• Like 3

It's wonderful to hear that Maisie has adjusted and seems to be enjoying her new position as the only dog in the house!  Although they certainly can be sociable, I think Cairn females enjoy being Queen of the Household.  I'm sure you miss Tess but isn't it a relief not to have to worry about the two of them fighting?  This is one of those rare occasions when a difficult decision truly works out well for everyone (and everydog) involved.

• Like 2

That is a hard one.  I am happy that Maisie didn't get hurt and that she is adjusting to Tess being rehomed.  I like that Tess went to her trainer and that she has a playmate there as well.  It has got to be very gratifying to know that she is loved and in a good home.  While I am sorry that this didn't work out, I am also happy that both dogs are happy and that you took action when needed.  Hugs and cuddles to little Maisie.

• Like 3

Elsie, Max, Meeko & Lori

I agree. A very hard decision but you know your dogs and what is the best for them. Tess is happy and Maisie is happy and you are relieved of the worry (and therefore happy also).  :)  :)  :) 

A lot of doggy decisions are difficult but if we truly love them we do what's right for them above what we might sometimes wish for ourselves.

• Like 2

I'm really sorry to hear this but I know you did what was absolutely best for both dogs, and for your own peace of mind and sanity.  It must be a great relief to be positive that Tess has gone to a great home. I'm glad to hear as well that Maisie is adjusting. As Hheldorfer said, Maisie will soon relish being Queen Bee. :)

• Like 1

This is a wonderful forum, it's so nice to come to a place when your feeling blue and have other's lift your spirits and put you in a better place.  At first I was worried that other's would think I was wrong at giving up Tess and that I should have tried harder to manage the situation.  I'm so glad that I was wrong in assuming that.  Thank you each and every one of you for your support; it means a great deal to me.

• Like 1