CairnTalk

Thought We Had a UTI...Not so Optimistic

tlwtheq

Sweet Pea has been urinating on carpets and such during family living time where

we hang out.  After seeing similar topics here I thought it must be a matter of UTI.

Well, not so fast Mrs. Wilk!  The Vet says we have urine with low concentration,

i.e., very watery, and with protein in it.  We're being tested for possible kidney issues.

It was quite an expensive visit.  I suppose I should expect this kind of thing as Sweet Pea

and Teddy Bear approach age 14.  Sweet Pea's weight is good, 13.4 pounds, and her

blood pressure is great.  I am hoping that it might be a matter of adjusting her

food so that a balance is reached.

I love my non-human friends so much.  Will be there for them, whatever it takes.

Tara, Proud Mum of Olie, Teddy, and Sweet Pea.  :wub:

• Like 1

Max and Nelly
signature.jpg.1a2f02ae93418630654caf879c6d4783.jpg

Hi Tara, hope Sweet Pea's results are good and that a food adjustment is the answer. :) Sending positive thoughts your way. :hug:

Keeping good thoughts sweet pea's way.

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Adventures with Sam &Rosie

often kidney function can slow and the body will adjust. your vet might be able to suggest long-term management (low-protein diet, careful water intake, some meds to control urination) if it is the kidneys. hope you get good news. 

often kidney function can slow and the body will adjust. your vet might be able to suggest long-term management (low-protein diet, careful water intake, some meds to control urination) if it is the kidneys. hope you get good news. 

Thanks, PK.  That sounds a lot like what the vet was saying.

Max and Nelly

It's reassuring to know that Sweet Pea will be kept safe in your capable, loving hands.

Fingers crossed, wishing the best for you both!

FEAR THE CAIRN!

Thanks, everyone.  We are now armed with new food and medication.  We'll see how it goes.   She hates

being sequestered in the kitchen..but it sure does cut down on the stress (screaming and yelling... not from me).

You guys rock.   tlwtheq

• Like 2

Max and Nelly

We still don't know.  We're now armed with meds and new food.   Haven't had any new incidents today.

I think there's a stronger underlying issue, here.  Nothing all you folks here haven't already mentioned.

Question is: Do I have the courage to act?  Answer is:"Not right now".

Max and Nelly

• 2 years later...

Does your dog also have trouble urinating when you take it out side? We have a 13 1/2 year old that just recently started urinating in the house and really struggles outside. We did the urine test, x rays and ultra sound of the bladder and everything was OK. 

Guest dog person

That's odd.  I am assuming struvite crystals/stones and calcium oxalate stones were ruled out.

What does the vet think it is?   Did he give you a diagnosis?      Was blood work done?   Was it within normal limits?  

If not, ask your vet if more diagnostic testing is indicated.   Seniors are vulnerable to all sorts of stuff   :-(

Is the dog drinking enough water?   I would add a little to meals,  of course you will have to take her/him out more frequently.

Good luck

Edited by dog person