CairnTalk

Stella & Dundee Try Barnhunt

bradl

No photos (sorry). This weekend we tried barnhunt for the first time.  I can see why it's popular — it's a lot of fun. 

Since it is new to us we just dipped a toe in. I preentered only two dogs (Stella and Dundee) in instinct in the morning trial on Saturday, and only Stella in Novice on Sunday morning. 

Saturday morning Stella Q'd in Instinct but I misread Dundee.  NQ.

Sunday AM I entered Dundee in Instinct again and this time his handler didn't let him down. Stella tried Novice and we passed that and she got second in the Small dog category behind another club member's Cairn. Eleanor is a *beast* in barnhunt. She lasers in on the live tube in seconds flat with clear indication and moves with a puppy's speed through the tunnel and climb requirements. This was her third Novice leg so she graduated to the next class where the challenges get harder.  Can't wait to watch her. 

If you get a chance to try it, do it. Or if you're shy about trying stuff with your dog, check it out on a spectator basis. It's quite fun to watch dogs and handlers work and you can learn a few things about "reading" your own dog watching how others interact with their dogs. 

Learn all about it at Barn Hunt Association.

• Like 4

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club 

Way to go, Stella and Dundee!  (Oh - and congrats to you too, Brad. :P )

I'm going to see if there are any events in our area. What the heck, we could give it a try!

Angus would love this. Though I doubt he would want to bother with rules.He barn hunts free style in barns occasionally -sniffing, digging,searching back and forth. There are rats for sure if he could only get to them he says.

• 2 weeks later...

Perhaps Stella and Dundee would like a Canadian adventure and come to our home and shed hunt. We don't have rats in Alberta but my garden shed sure has their smaller cousins....mice. I promise there will be no rules, a free for all is promised. Rosie will assist from the sidelines. You kill them girls, you get to keep them! :)

Oops sorry Dundee, you are a boy but that's ok Rosie likes boys.

Edited by Terrier lover
  • Like 2

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Adventures with Sam &Rosie

• 3 weeks later...

I am always amazed that owners can actually "control" their dogs in these situations.  Even friendly little Oban turns into a deaf demon whenever some kind of rodent gets near...how do you get the dog to listen to you?

We tried out Barnhunt this past summer with Fiona. She loved it! Of course she found the rat right away but the handler (me) wasn't as sure of her signal. It's definitely a matter of learning what the dog is trying to tell you. We keep meaning to find more hunts closer to our area. :-)

Cheers,

Tami

Went to another barn hunt this weekend. Dundee got his first novice leg and Stella got two more to complete her Novice title. They definitely enjoy the game and there is no question I am the weakest link :P 

• Like 3

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club 

I some how doubt that Brad!:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Adventures with Sam &Rosie