CairnTalk

Miss Holly

josie&holly

Holly had increasing signs of pain and stress so decided it was time and she died at the Vets this afternoon.

Holly came to live with me 2nd August 2008. Holly was my first dog. I had put a rant on the PLusnet Community Forum about how Dog Rescue would not let you have a dog if no experience and Sandra answered me and asked if thought about Cairns! Through a friend of hers, Holly was located and now I love Cairns! But she was special. She was four and half and was a breeder's dog, having been shown and then had two litters before being "retired". She had never lived in a house but soon realised she had fallen on her paws! She seemed to know from the first days with me that I was hard of hearing and would bark to inform me that the phone was ringing or someone was at the door, a couple of years later she barked at anyone and everything that dared to pass her house. Holly travelled with me to visit friends and relatives and was very adaptable, settling down wherever I was. Holly was a very laid back Cairn, she had a sweet nature loving everyone she met [apart from a GSD that lives a few doors away!] and charmed people she met with her pretty face and nature.

In April 2014 she had a FCE [spinal stroke] but recovered from that but then in June this year I found a lump on her side which was diagnosed as Osteosarcoma of rib. I opted for no surgery or chemo and she continued to enjoy her walks, her food and from August the company of the puppy Ivy. They had some good playtime together. However, in the past few weeks it became apparent that the cancer was causing more pain and so sadly I had to make the decision that she should be put to sleep.

This was done this afternoon and it was very peaceful. Holly is to be cremated and her ashes will go in her/my garden under a paw print slab.

She would have been twelve years of age 11th December.

8182667501_09ac9f978b.jpgHolly by jod1947, on Flickr

• Like 4

www.cairnterriertalk.co.uk

I'm so very sorry to hear of Holly's passing, Josie.  I know you will miss her terribly.  I hope it brings you comfort to know you allowed her to enjoy her last few months living as she always had, with you by her side.  Ivy has undoubtedly benefited from Holly's example.

Rest in peace, Holly.  You will be greatly missed.

Helene

• Like 1

i am very very sorry to learn of this. we have followed holly's adventures with you, and i was deeply impressed by the determination of both of you that she would recover from her stroke. i know what it is like to lose a little friend to a slow but inevitable disease. you did a great job. we love holly and we know you did. 

• Like 2

The flame of life is always too short but the warmth can last forever.  So hard to let go, but a kindness. So glad you and Holly found each other, and that in addition to sharing your lives with each other you shared her with us. Rest easy Holly. Carry the banner, Ivy, I know you will.

• Like 1

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club 

I'm so sorry, Josie. You were a wonderful mummy to Holly and she knew it. You gave Holly the very best quality of life until the end. I hope little Ivy brings you some comfort in the coming days and weeks.  I'm sure Holly taught her well. RIP lovely Holly. Big hugs from Autumn & Lola :hug:

• Like 1

Josie you gave Holly a wonderful life and no doubt she filled your life with wonder also. How fortunate our dogs are to have owners that love them and will let them go when the quality of life leaves their lives. It's heart wrenching no doubt, may Ivy start to fill that void. I know, Rosie filled mine. Hugs from our house to yours.

• Like 1

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Adventures with Sam &Rosie

Josie, I am so sorry for the loss of your friend Holly.  Thank you for sharing her with us all these years.  You are in my thoughts.   :hug:

• Like 1

I'm so sorry. It's hard to lose a furry member of the family, even if you've known it would be coming at some point. We've enjoyed reading about your adventures with Holly.

• Like 1
Jandy and my Cairns, Kirby & Phinney 

Oh, deeply saddened.  I like that she will be your "garden"  angel. :) Holly will always be with you.  RIP Holly.  You were a cutie!

• Like 1

Elsie, Max, Meeko & Lori

So sorry to read this. Had hoped she would have been around for Ivy a little longer, showing her the in and out of things around your world. Yet, I am sure Ivy has already carved her own path in your life. Holly was a very pretty girl.  Love the attitude of helping you right from the moment you and her started sharing life. She will always be in your heart and wonderful memories in your mind (plus pictures, of course). Praying for many laughs just out of the blue thinking of Holly and what she might have done, where ever you and Ivy are. :hug:

• Like 1

Read the post today. Tears are rolling down my cheeks. It is so hard to loose a friend. Thank you for posting about your adventures with Holly. RIP sweet girl. We know dogs have short lifes. Still that does no good when we lose them. May time ease the sadness.

Edited by Malcolm's Dad

• 2 weeks later...

So very sorry for your loss, just now reading your post and feeling awfully sad upon hearing of Holly's departure to the bridge.  She was a beauty and you were both lucky to have each other.  Run free Holly.

I fell in love with the wonderful Holly just from reading your posts on these pages. I know that your loss is felt by others here as well and can only hope that your beautiful memories of her will help you to heal during this sad time.

FEAR THE CAIRN!