Family Cairn Stolen in Seattle

bradl

Family Dog Stolen Outside Grocery Store

I surely hope someone feels enough remorse or shame to return Waffles to her family. My heart aches for Waffles' family.

post-3-0-60518700-1442545029_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

CAIRNTALK: Vote! |  Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club | 🗓️ 2023 Cairn Calendar

That is what nightmares are made out of! The human race disappoints yet again... :(

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Adventures with Sam &Rosie

I wasn't able to open the link so I don't know the details, but this theft prompts me to post this reminder to never, ever leave our dogs tied up outside of grocery stores, etc. Even if it's "only for a minute." Cairns are small, cute and friendly. Too tempting and too easy to carry off!

This is in no way meant as a rebuke to the family of Waffles. My heart aches for them and I feel very sad for their terrible loss.

Edited by sanford
  • Like 1

FEAR THE CAIRN!

Couldn't open link.

I slightly worry if I leave Angus when I go in a store for a minute. He greets everyone that passes the Jeep with his bright eyes in that little furry face and his wagging tail. People comment on how cute and adorable he is.

How terrible to have a little pal stolen.

Once I lost a jrt for a while. He used to swim with my retrievers in a creek where we walked. After a storm one time the creek was swollen and he could not get across the current and climb out with the big dogs. He was swept on down. What a terrible, terrible feeling that was seeing the little head disappearing round a bend.I looked and looked and sent the other dogs to find him. Finally drove the couple miles home to leave the big dogs and go search further down stream. As I was leaving the house a phone call. "Have you lost a dog?"

I went to meet the people and they have this soaked, shivering, frightened little guy who was in the middle of the road they said. He must have got out further downstream and run back to where I'd parked.

Thank goodness for collar with name and phone number!

So hope the little cairn will be found and returned to his family.

i have had to leave a cairn in a locked car for a few minutes and that makes me queasy. i can't imagine just tying the leash outside a store and leaving my dog outside while i go in. any dog is at stupendous risk in those circumstances, and it may be worse for cairns, for whom there are more than one black market --not all of them merely looking for pets for unscrupulous people. i am hoping against hope that they get this lovely dog back. 

• Like 2

Thank you remltr for posting the link I'd intended. 

Around here it's pretty much completely normal to park a dog at a grocery entrance. Well, at least it was.

CAIRNTALK: Vote! |  Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support

Where I grew up in England in a small town people tied their dogs outside shops and left their babies out there too.Simpler days.

Never done either of those things in US.

Angus is locked in Jeep when we are out in temperate weather. Windows up but still I don't like to leave him for more than a few minutes.

Cairns are not only cute but can be used as 'bait ' dogs to train fighting dogs. 

• Like 1

This from a fb msg:

“We’ve gotten so much support from our neighbors and friends who’ve lent their eyes and their hearts to bringing Waffles home. My mom found Waffles at Myrtle Edwards this morning. She was with a homeless woman.”

“Rob worked off a tip from someone who had seen this woman washing Waffles at the Armory bathroom in Seattle Center yesterday. She was dyeing Waffles’ hair. Waffles is now a brunette. Rob said Waffles was scared and looks older as a brunette.”

• Like 1

That is such good news about Waffles!  That poor Cairn baby went through such terror not understanding what was

happening.  Hope s/he recovers fairly quickly.  I treasure all of our nonhuman children.  Pax.

Max and Nelly
signature.jpg.1a2f02ae93418630654caf879c6d4783.jpg

Good news and confirmation once again that it is a good idea to get your buddy microchipped as well as having phone number on collar.

Hoping Waffles and family will only have happy days ahead.

even with the microchip, a literal miracle in a city that size. i feel for the homeless woman who just wanted a pet and thought she had a nice one. who knows who gave it to her. good outcome, very happy to hear about it. 

• Like 1

Wow, so happy that Waffles was found.  It could have ended a lot worse but with the lady being homeless it kept her around the area, out and about where people could see her.  Love happy endings!

I often have to turn off the tv due to these type of stories.

Me too... I change the channel when these sad stories come on. Using the mute button doesn't help because I can still see the sad, soulful eyes... I can't resume regular viewing without thinking of those poor dogs and cats. I do the same for ASPCA animal adoption spots, which stop short of almost breaking your heart. Their cause is admirable and I support them, but I wish they had a better way to get their message out to the public.

• Like 2

FEAR THE CAIRN!

So glad Waffles was found and returned to her family. :)

I often see dogs tied to poles outside shops. It always worries me and I often sit on a bench and wait until the owner returns. It is fairly common here; I guess I'm just not used to it.

• Like 3

I often see dogs tied to poles outside shops. It always worries me and I often sit on a bench and wait until the owner returns. It is fairly common here; I guess I'm just not used to it.

I would never leave my dogs outside shops!  I find horrifying that some folk still do that but think it is getting less common.

• Like 1

www.cairnterriertalk.co.uk