CairnTalk

Lola the Thief

Autumn & Lola

Last night I made hamburgers for my step-son. He wanted to eat them while watching TV.  I gave him a tray and he proceeded to eat in the living room. He got up for a drink, leaving his tray. When he returned, one of his hamburgers was missing. We looked around - no Lola.

I crept up the stairs and found *her* creeping up to the 3rd floor, very quietly (she usually goes up and down the steps like a bull in a china shop) and very carefully carrying the hamburger, still neatly in its roll, in her mouth. It really was too cute and funny. She's so smart, "I'll just be very, very quiet and find a good place to hide and eat this hamburger! Stupid uprights! Mwah haha!" She had never been quite so bold before so we were surprised.  She was not thrilled when I took it from her, except for one little piece. :) 

Many years ago, my Mandy did something similar - again, the one and only time - and stole 1/2 an Italian hoagie. She abandoned the roll, onion and lettuce and proceeded to munch down on the meat and cheese, while hiding under an end table. :D

I can't get mad when they outsmart me. :)

What's the biggest, boldest thing your doggie has "stolen"?

• Like 5

I can just envision Lola, Ninja style , creeping up those stairs. A stolen treat tastes soooooo much better, it's the thrill of the chase, the adventure of fooling those silly silly uprights. I am sure she was cursing you..,..... Humfffffffff.

And Yes me too Brad , my heart was stolen almost 15 yrs ago when a little Cairn puppy jumped up and down while I was just coming to look!!!

Edited by Terrier lover
  • Like 2

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Adventures with Sam &Rosie

Yes they steal your hearts certainly!

Holly has never stolen anything food wise, but Ivy so far has stolen the cable for my iPad and chewed on it [had to buy another] and a plain biscuit off my lap! I had just put it down whilst getting hold of mug of tea and she just leaned over and lifted it!  Did not hide either put sat there and ate it whilst Holly tried to get at her!!

• Like 2

www.cairnterriertalk.co.uk

Haggis used to steal sponges off the kitchen counter. Somehow leaping like a pogo stick he could snag a sponge almost a foot back from the edge of a standard-height counter. I just don't get how that was possible. Yet he would snag the sponge and shred it into a thousand small pieces in the middle of the floor. At least he didn't eat them; he just liked to shred them I guess.

• Like 4

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club 

Brad, funny you should mention about the "pogo stick" jumping.  Olie doesn't use it to steal anything,

but he jumps like that every time his dinner is being prepared.  (Yep, even now at age 14.999, and

after major surgery earlier this year!)  Only he does it...the Wonder Twins just wait quietly on solid

ground. :)

• Like 1

Max and Nelly
signature.jpg.1a2f02ae93418630654caf879c6d4783.jpg

When Robby was a pup I had a puppy proofed the living room and I would get down in the floor and play ball with him. He was really curious about my eyeglasses. One evening I fell asleep with my back against the couch sitting on the floor and I kind a half remembered him crawling up the front of me and breathing on my face, anyways when I woke up my glasses were chewed up in pieces on the floor. So $200 pair glasses is the biggest theft my boy got away with.

• Like 1

OMG, the mental picture of Lola creeping up the steps with a whole hamburger in her mouth is hilarious!  Buffy has done the ninja creep of invisibility many times, mostly to steal a toy or rawhide chew that Ziggy left lying around.  

• Like 3

I would bet if I check the lineage, Oban will be related to Haggis.  I use sponges for my pottery and have to be very careful to keep them out of his reach.  Again, if he gets one, he "just" shreds it into a million little pieces, but never actually eats it...How often have I glanced around to find my sponge, only to see it laying on the floor in the tiniest of pieces....

• Like 2

Account Deleted

Well, beside the occasional treat from the Cat box......One night my hubby and I had some friends over for diner, he had smoke a couple of racks of baby back ribs. After we finished our diner we walked to their house for a swim.  When we got back home and opened the front door we seen a little furry butt scampering off the dining room table....We had never seen Moggie run that fast before.  When we located the guilty party we found her with a rib bone in lodged between her jaws in the corner of her mouth like she was smoking a pipe.  How can you be upset with that little face.... :whistle:  

• Like 2

Sassy is not a thief, but she sure tries to be sneaky. When I take her for a walk she will sometimes grab a glob of lawn mower cut grass. She will then proceed on the walk as if nothing is going on. It usually takes me a few minutes to figure it out as I finally notice that she is no longer sniffing, peeing or pooping.

I will call her name, she will stop, raise her eyes to look at me instead of raising her head and looking directly at me. She has her mouth full of grass and she does not want me to see it. When I attempt to grab it, she starts chewing madly to get rid of the evidence.

Frustrating and cute all at that the same time.

• Like 5

Sassy Jan 22, 2005

AM. CH. THARRBARR LITE MY FIRE ZOMERHOF

Oh boy... Reminds me how much Nikki has grown up. XD When Nikki was young (and a major house marker and chewer) we used to try penning him in the kitchen with a three and half foot tall board blocking him. I don't know how he managed to get over it but we came home to find the board undisturbed and the pup looking at us from the other side of the board. At frist I thought he had behaved because I did not see any tell tale pee spots or chewed up things... Then I went upstairs... The entire hall was strewn with my toy collection. Stuffed animals that had been on my bed or on a shelf, two of my hard plastic Breyer horses and several Breyer dolls... And worst of all, the only and only stuffed animal my dad bought for Mom, which is a big heavy plush moose that at the time was bigger and heavier than the dog.

Nikki ate an ear off my favorite horse, dented several more, chewed the hands off the dolls, chewed up Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer's ear and nose, and that big heavy moose had both ears hanging by threads, plus a chewed up wire and fabric antler, and various holes in the nose and neck... I felt sick, I was so upset. Of all the things he could have gotten into, he went for the things that had the most scent on them.

I confess i was not very nice to Nikki. I saw the smug look on his face when he saw me surveying the damage and fighting back tears, i screamed at him and chased him through the house until he ran for cover into his crate. Then I locked him in it and dragged it into the hall to make him watch me clean up, fussing and growling and baring my teeth at him every few minutes. When I let him out, he flew out of his crate and went to hide under a desk. Boy I had a humble boy walking in eggshells for a few hours.

Once I calmed down, I took him for a walk until we both started feeling better. Then we went back to being pals. But it took me many many hours of careful sewing to get that poor moose looking presentable. The plush was retired and it was expensive when we got it so there was no way we were going to replace it. I also did quite a bit of gluing to try to repair my things. That took up probably a week's worth of evenings.

Nikki has stolen food and numerous other things over the course of six years but the last thing that comes to mind that he stole was a simple plastic hair comb. My uncle was on the floor doing situps by the couch and Nikki was supervising. His comb fell out of his pocket and next thing I knew, a cairn blur scooted out of the room. I did not know at the time what he had stolen so I followed him and he proudly showed off his new toy. Thankfully I taught Nikki how to trade for goodies when he was a puppy (and to wait for permission to eat something if it falls on the floor) so it was easy to get the comb back from him. I just threw a squeaky ball for him and retrieved the slightly chewed comb. Lol. My uncle laughingly said he would have let Nikki keep it, and he still laughs about my little comb thief. Nikki doesn't have any interest in combs per se, but he could not resist stealing something when he saw the opportunity.

I love the mischievous look he gets in his eye. Mom purposefully lets him "steal" napkin wrapped treats out of her purse just to let him have fun stealing something. But thankfully he usually waits for permission before he steals from her purse. Though sometimes he steals kleenexes because he thinks they're napkins. Lol.

The worst thing Nikki stole was a cleaning rag full of Comet cleaner. I had no idea he'd stolen it until I saw him burying it in his bed. Thankfully it did not make him sick. That was his most recent theft.

Edited by Lupinegirl
  • Like 3

Forgive me, Lupine girl, but in spite of your losses, I really got a chuckle reading about Nikki's (mis)adventures.

All I have to say re the 3 1/2 foot high board is... Really? Any self-respecting cairn could scale that hurdle with his eyes closed! But of course, you know that now!

Edited by sanford
  • Like 2

FEAR THE CAIRN!

Yep.  The Wonder Twins are approaching 14.  Teddy Bear still hops onto anything he wants (persistent

old cuss.)  Sweet Pea has trouble outright hopping onto the couch...just like when she(they) was/ were

puppy/puppies, she pulls herself up by the front legs.  The Cairn Will knows no bounds, regardless of

their age.

Love hearing about CairnAntics.

Tara, Proud Mum of Olie, Teddy, and Sweet Pea

Max and Nelly
signature.jpg.1a2f02ae93418630654caf879c6d4783.jpg

:devil:  What a sneaky little dog. Well she did get a little taste of the hamburger so I guess her trouble was worth it. I remember when hheldorfer caught Buffy sneaking away with Ziggy's treat.."one paw up one paw down"...trying to get away as quietly as she could.

• Like 1

:devil:  What a sneaky little dog. Well she did get a little taste of the hamburger so I guess her trouble was worth it. I remember when hheldorfer caught Buffy sneaking away with Ziggy's treat.."one paw up one paw down"...trying to get away as quietly as she could.

Yep, we still laugh about that!  Good to hear from you again Malcolm's Dad!

• Like 1