Best day to spectate at CTCA National Specialty?

sbratcher

Hi all,

Although our Eddie is no longer with us we still love Cairns and are thinking of attending the CTCA national event in PA at the end of the month. What day would be the best for spectators?

thanks

steve

Sunday for sure. So jealous. Cairns Cairns Cairns ... in all their glory.

If you are able to squeeze in another day, Saturday morning at the host hotel will be two sweepstakes (puppies and veterans). The sweepstakes is smaller than the big event on Sunday but it is intimate and close-up and being in the hotel with just Cairns in the room it is also a lot of fun. 

CAIRNTALK: Vote! |  Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club | 🗓️ 2023 Cairn Calendar

Jealous, I've been wanting to go to this for years! I can't think of anything more fun than dozens of Cairns all together. We won't make it this year, but maybe another time. This year's dates are Sept. 28 - Oct. 5.

For those interested, here's the link: http://cairnterrier.org/index.php/Events/view/ctca-annual-specialty

Take s look at the brochure PDF, it's really cute!

Jandy and my Cairns, Kirby & Phinney 

I love the flyer they did this year :thumbsup:

I took * a lot* of photos a couple of years I went. The photos are average but they really give me the itch to go again. Here's a photoset I took in 2008: https://www.flickr.com/gp/40888213@N00/331CY0 to give you a flavor of it. (I typically take a lot of 'people photos' too because they seem to help me remember and relive an event more fully.)

There sets from several other years in the CairnTalk gallery as well.

CAIRNTALK: Vote! |  Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support

Thanks for the suggestions. We were only planning on attending for one day but after hearing the word 'puppies' we have decided on going on both Saturday and sunday! Really, can a person be around too many Cairns?

Steve

• Like 1

I love both and always attend both.  But just in case ... "puppies" at a conformation show like a sweepstakes are defined by age brackets of 6-9 months and 9-12 months.

The 12-18 month pups are sometimes called junior dogs because, you know how kids are, they get embarrassed to be called babies when they reach a certain age :P

The AKC used to prohibit any dog under six months from even being on show grounds (theoretically) but  a few years ago they allowed special  classes for dogs only 4-6 months old to be shown, under certain circumstances, at certain shows.  I honestly don't know if CTCA is offering a 4-6 month class. I tend to doubt it.

Having said all that, even "merely young" Cairns are a hoot and well worth watching!

And because the sweeps are at the hotel, that means whatever dogs the local people  are traveling with are often around somewhere, and that can include some that are too young to be shown.  So who knows, there may be a few wee puppies around after all. 

At this point in our lives we're really trying to not to end up with a new Cairn but since we have the willpower of a wet noodle who knows what might happen!

BTW, are tickets and/or entrance charges required for the weekend events at the CTCA event?

Steve

There might be a parking charge at the big MCKC show that the CTCA specialty is part of. I've never had to pay an entrance fee though.

Assume you've checked this out in case you want to participate in an auction or party, etc :) : http://cairnterrier.org/Resources/MC2015_Revised_Aug9.pdf