CairnTalk

Sleeping downstairs

Kathryn

My cuddly pup has taken up a new activity: sleeping downstairs in the mancave (aka the basement TV room) since it has become hot and humid in MInnesota. Alone. Without us...

He likes to go down there, and sometimes barks at us at the top of the stairs after dinner if we do not go down to watch TV.  He will go down on his own and encourage us to join him.  However, he always came up to bed with us, usually sleeping for a while on the bed and then moving under it for the rest of the night.

For a few weeks now, though, he heads downstairs whether we join him or not, and sleeps either on the down loveseat or under a chair in the corner.  He seems perfectly happy to be there, and always greets me energetically when I come down in the morning to check on him.

I miss having him in the bedroom with us though.  I suppose he just likes how cool it is downstairs, but my other cairns always wanted to be in the same room with me.   I miss having him around at night!

Hope he comes back up to bed over the winter....

• Like 1

Idaho Cairns

Our Bonnie is somewhat the same way--she has a special place under a table between the sectional couch--against the wall and she spends most of her day back there, coming out to eat or go outside but otherwise that is where she hangs.  She takes her favorite toys back there and usually will come out if called.  She is the first Cairn we have had that prefers that kind of safety (?), privacy (?), whatever.  It kinda bothered us at first but now we are used to it.  However, she does come out to got to bed with us and seems to want to sleep against either Fran or I. 
Often she will sleep in the fiberglass puppy crate she was shipped to us in--again in an isolated small area.  I think she just likes confined "safe" places to spend her down time.

• Like 2

Sounds like Oban is growing up and feels he deserves to enjoy the man cave too, just like dad. :)

I know you must miss having him in bed.  Buffy always seeks out the coolest spot in the summer - usually the bathroom where the ceramic tile stays cool.  In the winter she wants to come back to bed with us and snuggle. 

• Like 1

Cute. At least he has manners to invite you to join him once in a while.  Don't blame him. It's stuffy in our bedroom too.  Dempsy comes to bed with us to get his little nighttime snack and then he makes his way downstairs where it is much cooler.  Smart little dogs - dumb humans.  Thought about you guys again last weekend - one of these times.

• Like 2

Elsie, Max, Meeko & Lori

Ruffy doesn't care to sleep with me. Always prefers to spend the night by himself on the living room sofa. Maybe it was something I said!

• Like 4

FEAR THE CAIRN!

:)  Love the part where he invites you to join him. Its like he says "Hey its cooler down here." Malcolm sleeps all around the house. Sometimes in bed with me, most of the time in his laundry basket that he claimed as his bed. Not really sure if he sleeps though. Its like a short nap here in the bed, then a short nap in the laundry basket, or occasionally he goes under the couch! He is a funny dog.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Guess what! The temps dropped at the end of last week, with night temps in the 60s (and 50 one night) and now Oban wants to be on the bed. It's all about him...

• Like 5

Idaho Cairns

"It's all about him..."

Of course, we are talking Cairn Terriers here, want to save baby deer in distress, get a Lassie, want slaven hero worship from a dog, get a Golden Retreiver, want total dependency, get a Doxie but if you want your intellectual equal or as close to intellectual equal as you can get in Dogdom then it is Cairn Terrier Time!

• Like 5

Actually, Idaho Cairns - sometimes I think he is my intellectual superior... At least I find a lot of the time I am trying to second-guess him.

Edited by Kathryn
  • Like 3