CairnTalk

Still Fishing with Packy

kjwarnold

Packy is still fishing even approaching 11 years old. We've had lots of gar (they look like a barracuda but not mean, some are 4-5 feet long!) hanging around our dock this summer and Packy is sure he could catch one. He has always liked to sit in a float with us when we're in the water, but now he won't stay on it. The gar surface and he jumps off the float and swims for them. Sometimes he heads straight for the main channel and since he can swim forever, he could probably get pretty far.

My solution yesterday was to tie a rope on him while he's on the float. He jumped in and if he got too far away, I'd give him a tug and he'd come back. As you can see, he's a strong swimmer and pulled me all around the water! After doing this about five times, he was pretty tired last night. He didn't catch a gar but he was sure happy while he tried!

http://vid1084.photobucket.com/albums/j412/kjwarnold/Dogs/IMG_0377_zps9pigbazu.mp4

• Like 9
Jandy and my Cairns, Kirby & Phinney 

What a wonderful shoot of Packy in Action!  B.t.w., didn't know gars could so big, i.e., 4 feet plus?

Here in MD we're used to teeny weeny things haunting small creeks.

Max and Nelly
signature.jpg.1a2f02ae93418630654caf879c6d4783.jpg

So sweet! You and Packy are brave, anything over perch size in the water scares the hell out of me!

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Adventures with Sam &Rosie

Tara, we have long nose gar here in Missouri. They are commonly about 3 ft. long but we've seen bigger. The record is 5 1/2 ft. long! It's kind of scary at first when you're swimming but I've never heard of anyone having problems with them and they tend to stay away from people (or Cairns) in the water.

We also have spoonbill paddlefish and the record for that is 6 1/2 ft. long. We rarely see them but Packy dreams of snagging one!

I know what you mean about long-nose gar.  When I was married to my first husband (shudder!) we used to fish on the Mississippi.  Once in a while we'd catch one.  Darn things look like they could bite your fingers off!

Look at Packy go :lol: . Some Cairns like Malcolm are good at dragging people through the park. Packy is good at hauling you through the water. They are such strong little dogs.

• Like 3

Fun!  So sweet.  Does Packy and Kirby ever have their own floating device?  Bet Packy wouldn't stay on it because a fish would swim by.  Splash!

Elsie, Max, Meeko & Lori

He is certainly a determined little cairn!  A great representative of the breed.  Please post a picture of Packy posing beside his gar once he hauls one in...

• Like 2

He is certainly a determined little cairn!  A great representative of the breed.  Please post a picture of Packy posing beside his gar once he hauls one in...

Oh, wouldn't that be precious: Packy standing proudly beside a 3' gar, maybe with a little fishing hat on? :P

OMG I just googled a gar fish....those teeth...yikes. Are you sure they wouldn't snack on your toes or eat Packy?

In northern Alberta we have huge Pike that are known to eat duck and baby birds, coming right up and snatching them . Just finished watching A weeks worth of national geographic on sharks...those gar look like relatives.!

Edited by Terrier lover

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Adventures with Sam &Rosie

Oh, wouldn't that be precious: Packy standing proudly beside a 3' gar, maybe with a little fishing hat on? :P

He actually has a fishing hat. And a fishing vest with lots of pockets.

• Like 7

Ok - well you opened yourself up there.  Now we need you to post a pic with Packy fully geared for fishin'.

• Like 3

Elsie, Max, Meeko & Lori