CairnTalk

Dempsy knows, Elsie is oblivious

Dempsy's Mom

We are starting to prepare for our week in Montana for the theme wedding .... Alice in Wonderland.  The kid's grandma died and the funeral is on Thursday the day we leave - so it has been a bit wild again with who is traveling where and when.  I am trying to stay on course, regardless of everybody else.  Starting to pack, drug down the coolers as we always haul meat along, I thought I was going to match a color for Jim and I, I always think that is so nice when couples blend, but I abandoned that idea - we will be lucky to just look presentable.

And of course there are the reservations for Dempsy and Elsie. Ugh.  They hate being kenneled.  And this is a long one - 7 days.  I have been pampering them all week.  Dempsy knows something's up.  He sees things being moved around and bags where they are not supposed to be.  Elsie doesn't give anything a second glance.  Demspy was inside his overnight bag checking out the food and snacks I packed.  I had to hang that on the door knob.  It is so cute to watch him as he is constantly on guard.  I pick him up and give him loves, but he pushes me away and gives a deep sigh.

Breaks my heart to leave them, but I will know that they are safe and in air conditioning.  A week in the 90's.  Kitty will stay in the basement - I know, that's a long time but she will be fine - cool and safe. :confused: I hope.  I could put her in the shop, but the hired men will be running in and out - just wouldn't work. Anyway a week without my babies is tough .... and a week with the family may be even tougher - 18 of us in one house. :)  Guess I can always jump down the rabbit hole.  

Edited by Dempsy's Mom
  • Like 4

Elsie, Max, Meeko & Lori

Or hide in the cow barn with Demps, Elsie and Kitty! :)

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Adventures with Sam &Rosie

I suppose I could find a cow barn in Montana. :)

Just came in from outside - hot and windy - feels like a blow dryer.  Told Jim to put an offer in on corn while we are gone because I think we are gonna have a weather scare that will give us a good bump in markets. 

• Like 1

Elsie, Max, Meeko & Lori

Eighteen in one house?   Eek!  Hope the theme wedding makes up for the stress..and missing your babies.

Of course you've already had your "cool" tested this year, so I expect you're good to go. :thumbsup:

Edited by tlwtheq

Max and Nelly
signature.jpg.1a2f02ae93418630654caf879c6d4783.jpg

Exactly.  "Since the kids are coming here for the funeral," I told Jim "You could drive with them to Montana and I could stay home and man the farm with Dempsy, Elsie and Kitty."  He didn't like that idea - I thought it was brilliant. Guess we are all stuck for the long haul. :( 

• Like 1

Elsie, Max, Meeko & Lori

I liked your idea of staying home and manning the farm.  Too bad Jim didn't agree.  Sigh.  Sorry you have to deal with even more stress.  I can't imagine 18 people in a house!

post-4719-0-54371200-1436897844_thumb.jp

This is Dempsy. :)  I am going to miss them sooooo much.

We have done it before - 18 peeps in a house - and it went quite well.  This is a condo though and last time it was a house - I am hoping that it is big enough.  Jim and I won't have a bedroom, we have a loft with an air mattress. ? Maybe one of the kids will feel sorry for us and offer us their bedroom.  But last time we had the best room so I figure it's our turn to take leftovers.

• Like 6

Elsie, Max, Meeko & Lori

Perfect - Cooper, the neighbor border collie, came over and Elsie and Dempsy got to run and play with their friend before the are locked up at 4:30.  They have had a great morning - we went for gator rides and did some cow chores.  Elsie is starting to catch on now that there are more suitcases out.

Elsie, Max, Meeko & Lori

I am beat.  Demps and Els are kenneled - Kitty is taking a nap.  We are leaving at 4 am.  The kids are driving me crazy.  One came for grandma's funeral and this evening another decided to come - funeral tomorrow - she wondered who was going to pick her up at the airport (150 miles away) no one did, I offered but she said absolutely not which was ok with me.  She took a cab. ? :confused1:  I would of never of thought of taking a cab 150 miles.  Crazy.  Cost a little over $200.00.  I really want to go pick up my love bugs and stay home.  So I am signing off for a week.  Wish us all luck.

• Like 2

Elsie, Max, Meeko & Lori

Ok - I literally just got home with Dempsy and Elsie.  They greeted Kitty and then we walked around to the back yard - I was over by the chickens when I see Elsie cute little butt wiggle underneath a storage building.  Dempsy was sniffin' and on the verge of joining Elsie when I received the invitation myself via air wave.  Crap ..... skunk.  I ran over and nabbed Demps and put him in the entry.  Then I went to retrieve Els.  She come crawling out from under the shed with this pea green liquid dripping down her face.  UGH!  Really Elsie!  I tied her up outside.  Changed into my uglies and I am ready to head out with a mixture of peroxide, baking soda and dish soap.  I am so tired and I was dreaming of snuggling with my fur babies tonight, but I guess the plans have changed. 

It was a great wedding and a great trip. Everybody got along.  I laughed so much my belly hurt.  Bozeman, MT is really a dog friendly town  -  most every shop you went into had at least one dog if not two and most all were rescues.  I had to pet every one of them. 

I am going outside now for the dreaded job. :sick:

• Like 1

Elsie, Max, Meeko & Lori

Done.  Elsie got 3 10 minutes intervals of the solution and then a regular bath.  She smells pretty good.  She is so happy that she can come in the house and run around.  Dempsy helped me unload groceries - he promptly went through all the bags when I sat them on the floor and pulled out a snack for himself and trotted in the other room with it.  They act like they are staving.  Nice to be home. :)

• Like 1

Elsie, Max, Meeko & Lori

Welcome home!  Glad to hear you had a good time.  I'm sure Dempsy and Elsie have lots to tell you.  Hope you have a restful and skunk-free evening. :)

Sounds like you had a good time and safe home again. That's good.

Yucky skunk welcome but what can we say -we've all had the perfumed spray on our buddies up here in beautiful PA skunk country! Angus thought the first skunk he met when he was barely a year old was a new friend. It didn't run away (they know they don't need to :lol: ) so up he went to sniff a butt...........BIG mistake.

• Like 1

Home is where the heart is, even when it's a bit stinky. Glad you had a good time Lori. It's always good to climb back into your own bed though.

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Adventures with Sam &Rosie

So glad you are home and all went well. Skunk,ug. Keira got spayed one MORNING AT 2"30! hAD told hubby not to leave the doggie door open.He learned the hard way, but he did not have to give the bath.

Never a dull moment on that farm, is there?  At least you didn't have to bathe two of them...

What a welcome home! Hope you get some down time soon...you deserve it.

Sounds like you had a great time, good to hear.  Not so good about the skunk though.  We had a near miss with a skunk the other night with Tess running up behind one that was in our yard at 1:00 am.  Good thing she's quick!  Hubby thought she got sprayed so he came in the bedroom, woke me up to say that Tess was spending the night out in the yard due to being sprayed by a skunk.  Got up and started sniffing the air, no smell, hmmm, if the skunk sprayed her, we'd be smelling it, all our windows were open.  I went to the door and there she was looking sad as can be due to her dad yelling at her.  I opened the door and no smell whatsoever; so in she came. :)

• Like 3

Good.  I am glad you let Tess in.  Elsie feels bad too - they know they don't smell good.  Jim is making her stay in the entry at night with Kitty but I think I will let her upstairs tonight.  She knows she is being shunned.

Elsie, Max, Meeko & Lori

Done.  Elsie got 3 10 minutes intervals of the solution and then a regular bath.  She smells pretty good.  She is so happy that she can come in the house and run around.  Dempsy helped me unload groceries - he promptly went through all the bags when I sat them on the floor and pulled out a snack for himself and trotted in the other room with it.  They act like they are staving.  Nice to be home. :)

Interesting solution.  In one movie I watch on a regular basis, situated in the late 1800's, it seems the only de-skunkifying

solution then was bathing someone in tomatoes.  And it took a lot more than 3 ten-minute intervals.

More like a bushel and a half of tomatoes!

Glad you were able to sort it out so quickly!

Welcome home everyone!

Max and Nelly
signature.jpg.1a2f02ae93418630654caf879c6d4783.jpg

I'm so glad you had a great time. Sorry you had to come home to skunk. lol  These little dogs do the darnedest things.

I believe between everyone on the forum we could have our own tv show. It could be  mix of comedy, drama, horror, and a little DIY. LOL 

I bet it would be a big hit.

I'm so glad you had a great time. Sorry you had to come home to skunk. lol  These little dogs do the darnedest things.

I believe between everyone on the forum we could have our own tv show. It could be  mix of comedy, drama, horror, and a little DIY. LOL 

I bet it would be a big hit.

Ha!  Great idea!  They could be named "Real Cairns of Tennessee", "Keeping up with the Kishwaukee Cairns", "Cairn Patrol", etc..   :P

• Like 2

The skunk or family of skunks are still under the shed.  The shed is right in our back yard and Els continues to check it out.  I am going to have to set the live traps.

Elsie, Max, Meeko & Lori