CairnTalk

Rosie..she isn't so sweet!

Sam I Am

Rosie, who is a really laid back Scottie, sweet, non aggressive, a tad submissive, totally surprised me last night when all of a sudden , looking out of the screen into the back yard, a deep growl emerged from her throat. I didn't see anything but decided perhaps a bird or squirrel was somewhere in the yard. This growl however was way different than the usual excited yipping( Scottie version of the Cairn screech of death) so I opened the screen. Given she has a bulky body but two inch legs, she would have put a greyhound to shame. Ripping around the yard, tail curved over touching her back(bad sign with a Scottie that something is going down)' scenting like crazy, I peered into my flower garden and a very worried cat was hunkered down. When Rosie was getting closer to discovering the cat, it decided to make a run for it. Meanwhile, this upright is running around yelling Rosie, Rosie, don't, leave it alone. I didn't realize that Rosie was so hard of hearing, totally ignoring me, she streaked after the cats white butt. I had visions of a badly mangled cat, Rosie having her eyes gouged out and vet bill for both! That cat jumped over a six foot fence like it was a matchstick. It might have even been missing some tail hairs....it took me about 20 minutes to calm madam down, and stop my heart from pounding.

So sweet Rosie has proved that even the sweetest terrier can turn into a Tasmanian devil . Years of breeding terriers to do a job has not been bred out of this group!

Anyone else experienced a wolf in sheep clothing! :)

• Like 4

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Adventures with Sam &Rosie

Oh, yes!  Buffy and Ziggy both hate cats more than anything in this world - even squirrels.  They go completely ballistic if they see one of the neighbors' cats, throwing themselves at the fence and barkingtheirfoolheadsoff in a frenzy unlike any other.  If we encounter a cat while walking it's all I can do to remain upright and not get dragged along in hot pursuit.  

• Like 1

Angus uses screech of death for cats and crows - he sees them every day. But he does have a far more menacing back of the throat growl that is truly fear inspiring. I've only heard him use it twice. The first time when we both could smell a bear had crossed our yard recently, The second I never found out why.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

That was a great story! I could feel the adrenaline rush of the chase! :D

We've not seen any cats here. Lola barks and lightly chases the occasional bird. She does get in 'the zone', nose to the ground, if there is a mouse in the yard.#

I think the biggest change in personality is when she is sitting with us in the evening, calm and cute and doing her adorable antics, or simply cuddling up to us, when another dog DARES to enter her field of vision out the front window. Then all hell breaks loose! :confused:

• Like 1

Holly will chase a cat out of our small garden!  The only time she moves that fast is if she sees it before the cat sees her!! Often think that any local cat that enters has a death wish!  

Yes, and Holly will also go potty, barking etc, if someone passes the house with a dog while she is sat on sofa with me- what gets me is that she cannot see the dog but she knows the person has one!!

• Like 1

www.cairnterriertalk.co.uk

Holly will also go potty, barking etc, if someone passes the house with a dog- what gets me is that she cannot see the dog but she knows the person has one!!

:lol: In the U.K. does "go potty" have a different meaning than it does here? Do you simply mean that Holly goes nuts, bananas, ballistic, etc., when a dog passes by :w00t: ... Or do you mean that Holly does the "other" thing? ;)  

P.S. Ruffy doesn't need to see another dog pass by. :ninja2:  He seems to be able to smell an interloper from an impressive distance away. :nono:

• Like 2

FEAR THE CAIRN!