CairnTalk

Kitchen helpers

Dempsy's Mom

Dempsy constantly finds his way to the kitchen rug every time I am preparing a meal.  Strolls in and plops himself on the kitchen rug and waits. This usually works for a sample or two of whatever is on the kitchen counter, but sometimes I am aggravated and I ignore him, which serves no purpose but makes me feel like a heel.  So how many of you ignore the little munchkins?

I also find myself maneuvering around Demps.  Just this noon my legs were in a wide stance as I was peeling an onion, almost a full squat, while Dempsy lies proudly between my feet. This spot seems to be an entitlement for him and I am not to invade his personal space.  Luckily for him I really don't mind as I view it as exercise for me - but really, if people could see me - they would think I was nuts.  I suspect many of you exercise while cooking.

What we don't do for our little furry family members.  Guess I'll go back and apologize to Demps with a morsel or two. :)

• Like 4

Elsie, Max, Meeko & Lori

I am guilty of doing the same thing, and of course I can't have a taste without giving my girls a taste. haha

Kelly choses the spot by my right foot, while Prissy is behind me. They are so cute, I can't resist. I find myself maneuvering around them a lot. I sometimes get aggravated and don't give them anything either and like you I feel like a heel and make it up to them latter.

These little stinkers sure no how to work us don't they.

Tanner has had a raw egg dropped on him because of being underfoot in the kitchen...and if I forget to give him a sample for too long of a period of time, he reminds me with a little yip.  Wherever food is, these guys are close at hand!

Becky & Tanner

Idaho Cairns

I am guilty because I foolishly share whatever I'm making with the dogs.  Fran, however, does not and consequently can cook in peace most of the time.  I have made my own kitchen/culinary  bed and thus have to sleep in it.  There are exceptions however--if and when a tuna fish can is opened in this house it becomes a full on adoration moment when both dogs come to the font, become two immovable statues that unblinkingly stare toward the counter because they know that the "little can of eternal joy" will soon come their way to be licked clean while being carried to the far reaches of the house for solitary enjoyment.  Heaven forbid the day we ever have to serve a recipe that only calls for one can of tuna fish!

Uh-huh . . . guilty here too.  :whistle:   On the other hand I don't have to worry if I spill something on the floor.  My furry vacuums suck it up in a heartbeat.

• Like 1

Well as our dogs have always eaten home cooked "human" food, pretty much what we eat they love...so having a four legged Hoover around isn't anything new in our home. When I am making a salad Rosie gets the white crispy part of the romaine lettuce...she loves that. Jock always politely took a piece of banana offered to him, with a withering look, held it in his mouth than quietly dropped it on the floor! He never would refuse a treat but bananas were yucky food to him. Rosie on the other hand will eat anything....cheese being the most amazing food in the world to her, and as I usually have toast, cheese and lettuce for my breakfast, her world is then complete, as she always gets to lick the plate and finish off the crumbs.

We also step around her, over her...yup we are idiots.

• Like 1

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Adventures with Sam &Rosie

Haha - guess it's not quite like "Leash Your Fitness" where people and animals exercise together .... it's more like (I'm trying to think of a clever title for our exercise group)  "Kitchen Fitness for Uprights" where the animals coach and we walk around, step over, squat above and bend about.  Thanks you little fur buddy's, but I think I'd rather play fetch. :) 

• Like 1

Elsie, Max, Meeko & Lori

This is funny. Sassy is under foot most of the time when I am doing anything with food. She knows she will get a nibble of something. She is usually vacuuming and always standing where I need to be.

Notice how these little brats are willing to take something, but never share anything from their dinner. It is always all about them. :P

• Like 1

Sassy Jan 22, 2005

AM. CH. THARRBARR LITE MY FIRE ZOMERHOF

Yep, Packy & Kirby know as soon as I pull the chef's knife out that it's chopping time and they take up position just to the right, at the end of the counter. Packy loves most veggies and fruits, so he's always looking for a sample. Kirby is a bit pickier so whatever he checks and turns down, Packy snatches up. And Packy seems to know which stuff Kirby won't like because he watches closely for certain things.

They do not sit or lay underfoot. They must think the view and opportunity for samples is better at the side.

• Like 1
Jandy and my Cairns, Kirby & Phinney 

I'll tell you something really funny, to be honest Kelly is always under foot when I do anything. She's my heart dog. I guess she thinks i can't do anything by myself. haha  If I'm vacuuming, sweeping, washing clothes, or cleaning the bathroom she is always right there with me.

Well it does get a little aggravating to have you're dog stand in front of the broom the whole time your sweeping, or when you're doing anything. I figured out a way to keep her out of my way in the rest of the house. I cook something in the crock pot. Yep that's what I do. It keeps her laying in the kitchen floor guarding it. Most of the time Prissy will join her in the guarding of the crock pot. haha 

I have decided the next time I'm going to deep clean the kitchen I'm going to put something in the crock pot and put it in another room of the house and see if it gets them out from under foot in my kitchen while I'm cleaning. lol

• Like 6

"I have decided the next time I'm going to deep clean the kitchen I'm going to put something in the crock pot and put it in another room of the house and see if it gets them out from under foot in my kitchen while I'm cleaning. lol"

What a clever idea Lynn!  Hey - I might try that too!

Edited by hheldorfer

Angus watches and waits for clumsy me to drop something. So nice I don't have to bend down to clean it up  :)

Pepper is quiet as a mouse in the kitchen when we are cooking - you would never know she was there.  I am assuming she is thinking that if she is real quiet we won't notice her! 

Pepper's Mom

Oban knows that whenever I eat a hot dog -- I am really fond of them! -- he can sit on the second stool at our kitchen counter and I will share.  He comes running the minute he smells one in the microwave. 

He also gets bits of whatever vegies or fruits we are preparing.  He is crazy about watermelon, loves the crispy ends of romaine lettuce (just like Rosie) and cucumbers,  hates bananas (like Jock did) and also hates carrots. Carrots, however, are fun toys which can be attacked and bitten until they are just little crumbs.  Go figure.

The best treats, though, are to be found on plates and utensils put into the dishwasher -- which was created at exactly the right height for a hungry cairn....

• Like 1

The Lads and Miss Thang will try anything once.  And they wait anxiously, as underfoot as they can get.

It certainly  is a good way to get carrots for their teeth while I'm fixing salad. They like most fruit, also

blueberries and grapes used to be a bit puzzling..nothing happens until you really chomp down.

Heck, they even like tofu...just as along as they're sure it's something we're eating.. :D

Max and Nelly
signature.jpg.1a2f02ae93418630654caf879c6d4783.jpg

Thanks.  Just trying to bring home the idea of bulbous fruit not making sense to the pups.

Can't remember  the last time we had grapes as they bother my ileostomy.

Max and Nelly

Watermelon is one of Dempsy's and Elsie's favorites too.  Today they don't have much of an appetite as it is hot and horribly humid.  They want to go outside but when they do you can almost see them wilt before your eyes - poor little rascals.  We went for a gator ride and when we returned they both ran for the pool. :)  They are both pretty content today just lying around inside. Hot all week - 97 tomorrow - yuck.  Right now we are under a severe thunderstorm watch till 1 a.m.  Not a cloud in the sky but sticky humid. 

Edited by Dempsy's Mom

Elsie, Max, Meeko & Lori

"...I also find myself maneuvering around Demps.  Just this noon my legs were in a wide stance as I was peeling an onion, almost a full squat, while Dempsy lies proudly between my feet... Luckily for him I really don't mind as I view it as exercise for me - but really, if people could see me - they would think I was nuts". 

Never mind cooking, Lori... You would blush if I were to describe the contortions I go to when I am using the "facilities" in my own home and Ruffy has decided to sweetly, but firmly park himself right in front of the toilet! At those times I am hardly about to bargain, cajole or discuss with him... No, Ruffy's allowed to lie there undisturbed while I twist myself into a pretzel.

You'd have to see it to believe it... But then again, I'm not sure you'd really want to see it, right? :blush:

• Like 4

FEAR THE CAIRN!

Account Deleted

Moggies far too fearful when she hears us chopping veggies...hides behind the sofa, but her 2 sisters are right in the kitchen trying to help Mom or Dad drop a little something to sample. 

Oh my. The visuals this thread is giving me. Lol.

I have a very polite little boy. Nikki stays out of the kitchen when I'm cooking. He stays in his bed or watches from across the room unless I'm browning beef. He knows I'll let him have the kernels that fall off the paper towel after I wipe the grease out of the pan ,so he'll come sit on the rug three feet behind me while I'm at the stove. He does like to beg for goodies when we come home, though. He greets us at the door and then goes to the kitchen rug in front of the fridge to wait, unless he sees us bringing in groceries; he goes to another room (a trick he taught himself!) to wait while we unload the bags.

Mom is in the habit of wrapping a little morsel in a napkin and tucking it into her purse so that Nikki can steal it. He's very polite. He usually waits for her to hold her purse down at his level, but sometimes he gets overly excited and grabs the goodie before she even comes up the garage steps. Lol. He was under foot all the time when he was a puppy and it took him about four years to learn to give us our space, but now he has everything figured out. He lays on my feet under the kitchen table and sometimes he'll lay on my feet if my stomach is upset and I spend a lot of time in one spot. Otherwise he usually stays within hearing range but not necessarily in sight. He's been looking for dark cool spots to lay down this summer so sometimes I lose track of him and have to listen for his breathing or collar to find him. At bedtime, he usually sleeps with me on my bed. He lays in just the perfect angle on my bed so that he can be near my feet without weighing them down under the blanket. It amazes me how adaptable and considerate my little guy is.

Edited by Lupinegirl
  • Like 2

Pepper sits as still as a statue waiting patiently for a tiny morsel to drop on the floor.

Pepper's Mom

We now have a fourth party showing up when food disbursement is imminent.  He doesn't

care for much of the human food, except for things like lettuce and broccoli.

But boy oh boy, if I get anywhere near the gerbil aquariums with their food bag

in tow, Lord Bunnington of Monmouth (LB for short) is right underfoot. 

(Lord Bunnington is a bunny rabbit.)  He likes some

of the banana chips, and freeze-dried carrots,  and then there are the oatey-o's,

and the nuts.  He follows me around until the gerbil food goes back into

the refrigerator.  He's very brazen!

• Like 1

Max and Nelly