CairnTalk

Laid off as of August 31

tlwtheq

Hi Everyone,

This is my fourth layoff since July 2010.  I must have done something awful in

another life, or maybe given the laws of probability, I'm the one who gets to be one of

the worst case scenarios.

I'm really freaked out.  It took me 13 months to find this last job.  Don't ever let anyone

tell you that having a Computer Science degree from a revered Computer Science

school makes your employment situation secure.  Although, I suspect what I'm

suffering from these last 4 layoffs is "being a woman over 50".  We seem to be

so easy to can.  When Northrop Grumman laid me off in 2010, there were

5 of us (women over 50) let go.  We were well represented in that group.

At least we got Olie's surgery done and paid for before this happened.

Gonna have to scrimp and pray again for a while.

Thanks for "listening".

Tara, Mom of Olie, Teddy and Sweet Pea

• Like 1

Max and Nelly
signature.jpg.1a2f02ae93418630654caf879c6d4783.jpg

Hugs, Tara. Just not fair. If you think your age is a factor, that is not legal. See a good employment attorney for advice. And don't sign anything in exchange for any kind of severance until you do.

I wish for those employers a bad case of fleas. ..or maybe mange.

• Like 1

Hugs, Tara. Just not fair. If you think your age is a factor, that is not legal. See a good employment attorney for advice. And don't sign anything in exchange for any kind of severance until you do.

I wish for those employers a bad case of fleas. ..or maybe mange.

Me too.  The technology industry is too equipped legally for me to fight something like this.  The person who made the decision makes

up a lame excuse which is a blatant lie and all the rest of the management sticks with it out of fear.

Max and Nelly

So tough to deal with. I always feel that after a certain age women become invisible to the younger generation and unfortunately one gets treated that way. Hopefully you will find employment soon. Are there any universities close to you that you could put in a resume?

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Adventures with Sam &Rosie

That's so tough. Very sorry. Sure is true the older you get the harder to find work both for men and women but more so for women. Hoping somthing will come your way soon.

This really sucks Tara, and i am very sorry this is happening - again!  It's really not fair and I hate that you suspect it's the over 50 woman thing, because we all know if it looks like a duck, it's usually a duck.  Makes me very angry.

Hopefully this next go-around will be easier for you in terms of your search.

I wish there was something I could do.   :hug:

Idaho Cairns

Tara, having never faced a layoff or a question of "fairness" in a job situation I feel particularly unqualified to speak to the matter or what must be your tender sense of self worth and the fear that must come with unemployment in this most ragged of economies.  What I can say from experience is that it really doesn't matter a whole heck of a lot "why" this happened as much as it it concerns how you feel about yourself and your abilities as a technician and a worker.  If you know you are capable and experienced in your field of work then there is a job for you somewhere and you must and probably will find it.  It isn't important what "they", you former employers, are but what you are.  Take stock in yourself, be realistic, and simply push on.  Even tho the old saw "everything happens for  reason" is used and often used as a temporary balm to sooth the soul, take it to heart now.  You aren't defeated, only set back a step or two.  Your friends can only hold the hand and hope for the best and that's exactly what I will do.  Get those resume's out, somebody somewhere is looking for your talent, go get 'em girl!!! Chuck

• Like 4

Looks like you have a couple years to full retirement age. I retired a couple years ago a little early, and have been surprised that my Net income is about 2/3 rds what it was before I retired, even though my gross income is about 1/3 of what it was. It is amazing how much taxes and insurance knock down your income - it all adds up. You just need to make it a couple more years plus I think there is some jiggers pokers with birth dates, like you can qualify six months before your actual birthday. Might be worth going to the social security office and really nailing it down.

Hope you have good luck in setting something up for yourself to tide you over the next couple years.

• Like 3

Taffy, Reuben, Annie, Moondoggie, Lexie, Walter, Joey, Tonto, Earl, Beebo, Fuzz.  And a whole bunch of cats.

Tara, I just want to add an "Amen" to Idaho's encouraging words and the moral support of the other folks here. We are all pulling for you. Having been in your situation, I know how hard it is to have courage and fortitude while there is a knot in your stomach from worry. Wish I could offer more...

FEAR THE CAIRN!

i am so disgusted that this happened. lay-offs are so terribly stressful, and four since 2010 is enough to crush a lot of people. idaho is right, why is not important, what is important is going forward. please keep your eye on the good things and all the possibilities, and keep congratulating yourself on getting ollie help while the getting was good. you'll be rightside up again, history shows it. but we are all mindful of how hard this is. we really hate this. 

I can only offer my sympathy and encouragement. Regrettably and to my continued frustration, I can't offer much in the way of an example. Thank god twenty-one years of Cairns has kept me stubborn, resilient, and of relentless good cheer.

• Like 4

CAIRNTALK: Vote! |  Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club | 🗓️ 2023 Cairn Calendar

Account Deleted

So sorry to hear about your predicament, but I my husband and I understand very well.  As a MCSE and Network security officer my husband's job was outsourced to another agency in another country.  I hope all works out for you and send you good wishes! 

My experience is that Carin owners are as resilient as the canine children we love so much.  Moogie sends you a big Carin hug and kiss  :hug: 

That does suck Tara. Good luck with the new job search. Hopefully it won't take too long. The last time my husband was laid off from his tech job it took a year to find the next thing. Too many of the positions are being outsourced overseas. But fingers crossed that you'll be able to find something great very soon.

Cheers,

Tami

I feel your pain Tara, I was laid off in 2010 shortly after we purchased a home, thinking that my job was pretty much secure but unfortunately, it wasn't.  I was also laid off of the job I had before that, it's gives you such a terrible feeling of self-worth.  I searched for a job for quite a while until I finally decided to go with a temp agency.  I'm not sure if you've tried that of not but it did help me.  They found me quite a few jobs.  Not sure if you've tried this avenue but if you haven't, you might want to look in to it.  It's a paycheck until you find something permanent.

Sorry your going through this, I hope that it gets better for you.

• Like 1

So sorry you are \going through this troublesome time. Good Luck and know that the Cairns will help  you. Keira and I are thinking about you and hoping for good news

Tara, I am sorry you are dealing with this again. You are an overcomer and will find another job. Maybe you should think about starting your own business. 

• 5 weeks later...

Hi. I'm catching up on posts and read this. So sorry. Agree with Lynn, maybe start your own consulting business. Better yet run for President. If you can handle Cairns you can handle anything including the world.

• Like 3

I searched for a job for quite a while until I finally decided to go with a temp agency.  I'm not sure if you've tried that of not but it did help me.  They found me quite a few jobs.  Not sure if you've tried this avenue but if you haven't, you might want to look in to it.  It's a paycheck until you find something permanent.

Sorry your going through this, I hope that it gets better for you.

Hi Tara,

Hope you are bearing up...

To that end, I'm seconding the post from LindaMC re Temp Agencies. I personally know several people who worked their way into permanent jobs through temping. Some years ago, I myself hired an assistant to be a full-time staffer after she came on board as a temp. Of course the labor market has changed since then so this is a roll of the dice, but worth a try. Workers are still needed in the labor/corporate market today.

Sending you hopeful thoughts and good wishes!

FEAR THE CAIRN!

Temp is not a good fit for a 60 year old who is the sole family support.  Our medical care needs are many.

And  I won't get any help from my other half in supplemental income or helping work out the details of

how we can manage various options.  He's free; I am not.

Looking for a job every 6 months or less is not something my psyche can tolerate.

But thanks for the suggestion.

Max and Nelly