Lost Demps this morning, but he's still here :)

Dempsy's Mom

Farming is a high stress dangerous occupation.  We all get nutty during planting and harvest and we try to get to much done in a short amount of time.  Lost a neighbor to a loader accident this week.  We rent some land to another farmer and he is filing bankruptcy so in order for us to stay out of the bankruptcy proceedings we needed to serve papers on him so we can have our land back.  Sherriff had a hard time finding him - but he got it done - so now we need to travel 30 miles one way to plant this land. Our last field of corn. And it goes on and on. 

This morning Demps, Els and I had our usual cow chores.  We were in the gator coming back and I decided that I could whip over to the chicken coop and get them done before we harness up for corn planting.  I arrived at the coop - stopped the gator - looked over at Elsie.  Elsie.  :confused1:

"Elsie!  Where did Dempsy go!"

"He fell out of the gator mum when you made that left turn."

"OMG Elsie!"

I got out of the gator and yelled for Demps.

"Dempsy sweetie!  Are you alright!  Dempsy!"

And to much relief, here little Demps came running full speed, with a big smile on his face through the lilac bushes.  I knelt down on the grass and he jumped into my arms.  He got a big hug.

"Oh, Demps.  Are you ok?  I am so sorry."

"I am ok mum.  It was quite a tumble, but I am ok."

"Well if you wouldn't hang out on the edge of the seat like a wild man, you wouldn't fall off."

"But mum, you are supposed to reached over and hold onto us when you make abrupt turns."

"I forgot to do that Demps.  Mum, wasn't thinking and trying to get to many things done.  I am so happy you are alright."

Very relieved that all is well. :)  Now back to planting.

• Like 7

Elsie, Max, Meeko & Lori

I was worried sick when I saw the title of your post "Lost Demps this morning . . . " and then I saw the "but . . .".  Yikes!  So happy he is OK!  Slow down just a bit Lori.   :)

• Like 1

I'm glad he's okay and all is well. Glad to hear you're back up and moving, too. It sure has been a wild year for you all. Best of luck, warm wishes, and hugs for all of you.

• Like 1

Lori I almost fell out of my chair when I say Lost Demps...yikes . Glad all is well ...no more scary things need to happen on the farm.

• Like 1

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Adventures with Sam &Rosie

Egads, the main index page truncates post titles. Thank heavens that "but" made the cut. 

I usually have a leash on Stella when we're heading out in a gator or mule, but I can say that's almost worse if (when) they jump out. You have to either drop the leash in a hurry or dive out yourself to prevent dragging :w00t:

• Like 2

CAIRNTALK: Vote! |  Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club | 🗓️ 2023 Cairn Calendar

I was worried too - glad he is okay.

Your tale was so interesting you should write books!

• Like 1

Taffy, Reuben, Annie, Moondoggie, Lexie, Walter, Joey, Tonto, Earl, Beebo, Fuzz.  And a whole bunch of cats.

Yes - you could write a children's book about Demps and Elsie and Kitty's life on the farm!!! Wonderful stories - I gasped when I read the title of your post!!!  So glad everyone is fine!!!!

• Like 2

Pepper's Mom