CairnTalk

Emoticon Support for Tablets and Mobile

bradl

A forum-support question came up asking why the emoticon picker was missing from the post/reply box on iPads. Bad news, good news :P

It is true, the editor does not support the emoticon picker on mobile devices. :mad:  But there is a workaround!  You can type the BBCode for the emoticon instead.  For example to add a smiley such as LOL   :lol: type this code in the compose box wherever you want the smiley to go:

:lol:

When you Preview or Post your entry, the software will replace the code with the corresponding smiley. On mobile devices you won't see the smiley replace the code except in the Preview and Post views.  In the compose box you will still see the code. That's normal. 

Manually entering emoticons works in the compose/edit/post box whether on mobile or on a desktop system. Indeed I rarely use the picker anywhere as for me it's faster to type them, especially since there are only a few I use often. I do resort to the picker when I can't remember what the code is for a less frequently used smiley. :confused1:

Here's a full list of the currently available emoticons that you can enter this way.  You can guess what most of them will produce and you can always test them (in a test topic, please) and preview them.  iPad and mobile users may want to memorize or make a note of their favorites, or bookmark this topic to come back to.

-_-;):!::(:)<_<B):D:o:P:arrow::banned::beer::blush::book::cake::candle::censored::chat::confused::confused1::cop::cry::crybaby::devil::ermm::evil::ghost::halo::hug::huh::idea::innocent::king::kiss::lol::lucky::mad::magic::mellow::ninja2::nono::offtopic::oops::party::pray::qualify::redflag::santa::santa2::shock::shy::sick::soap::surrender::thumbsdown::thumbsup::toxic::twisted::vampire::w00t::whistle::wub:

I am led to believe that in the next version of this software (being released this year sometime) that an emoticon picker may be included that works on tablets, etc. Until then, we'll just do things the old-fashioned way :whistle:

Good luck, have fun, and may the smiley's be with you :thumbsup:

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club 

I think I asked this question a while back, maybe when I first got an iPad. Now I've just got that list saved and copy and paste when needed. I usually just avoid most emoticons in this forum now. ;-)

Jandy and my Cairns, Kirby & Phinney 

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks so much, bradl. I bookmarked your list and info. The world won't end without smileys/emoticons, (Now called emojis?) 

FEAR THE CAIRN!

• 7 months later...