CairnTalk

High - Low

Dempsy's Mom

The high today was that we had twins this morning.

The low was I was run over by a cow.

At 6 this morning Elsie and I ventured out.  First stop was the shop to check on a sick calf - I didn't want to leave Els in the shop because of he eating calf poopies, so I let her out and usually she will go about her business.  It was dark out yet and as I approached the barn I could hear I had a new mom.  I grabbed a stick so I could sort her off. Opened up the barn door.  Mom was a little nervous and I was letting the rest out and really that's all I remember.  Next thing I know I was on the ground gasping for air.  I gathered myself up - shut the door to the barn - limped to the house - Elsie followed, very worried.  She was listening to me attempting to breath.  When a cow hits you they hit hard. Jim was in the recliner - we just had his back adjusted the day before.  My jeans were covered - took them off and sat down.

Jim was hammering on what happened.  Me - I thought that was a stupid question "A cow ran over me!  What's so damn hard to figure out!"  "Well, why did she run over you?", Jim kept asking.  I was so disgusted with him ... but I sat there in pain and silently thought about it.  Our cows really are fairly gentle.  Why did that cow take a sharp right turn?  ... little Elsie was sitting in Jim's lap. Her sweet little face was riddled with a horrible guilty look. Oh.  That's exactly what happened - Elsie followed me to the barn.  She was there when I opened the gate.  Elsie dodged the cow and I took the blow. I am sure the cow was aiming for Elsie and little Elsie knew it too. :cry:

Poor dog felt so bad.  She crept off of Jim's lap and went to her kennel.  She has been odd all day.  I laid on ice packs all morning, barely moving and after dinner we went to the chiropractor. I wasn't sure if he could help, but I knew I needed adjustment.  I have the best chiropractor ever.  $30 and a half hour later I was on my way back home. I was lucky she just knocked me down and didn't actually run over me.  Feel pretty good tonight. I figure by Sunday I'll be as good as new.  Elsie?  She is still in shock from witnessing the event.  Poor little gal - the look she had on her face was absolutely priceless.  Silly me - I wasn't thinking - you always have to be thinking around animals. 

• Like 1

Elsie, Max, Meeko & Lori

It's so easy to let ones guard down around large animals...even ones you trust. I know all about that and sympathize. Years ago I had an Irish wolfhound called pepper. I went to visit a friends farm. Pepper went out into the field, I followed. Mama cow took one look at Pepper and charged(they are amazingly fast). There was an old truck parked in the field, Pepper crawled under the truck, the cow then went after me, I ran around that truck like I had rocket fuel in my pants and dove into the cab. I can only imagine what she would have done to me if she had caught me. Pepper meantime was quietly lying under the truck:)

Hope you feel back to your spry self. And poor Elsie, she knew you took the head butt. :(

• Like 1

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Adventures with Sam &Rosie

What an awful way to start the day!  I hope you're feeling better by now.  Jim should have been more concerned about you and less concerned about *why* it happened.  Men can be such dolts sometimes.  (Sorry guys, but sometimes you can be a little lacking in the empathy department.)  

Poor Elsie.  She feels guilty now but she'll get over it.  A few rides in the Gator and all will be well again. :)  

Oh goodness! I am SO sorry to hear what happened to you, but SO glad it wasn't worse. My dad was a veterinarian for a number of farms on the Vermont/Quebec border for years and whenever I ask him why he changed to small animals he always says, "I got tired of the cows kicking me." They are gentle giants, but giants they are, and protective mommas they can be. 

I hope you are getting lots of rest and taking care of yourself. Ice. Ice. Ice. I hope you continue to feel better!

"as far as i am concerned cairns are the original spirit from which all terriers spring, and all terriers are cairns very deep down inside." pkcrossley

I can't even begin to imagine getting hit by a cow!!  They are so huge and powerful.  We currently have buck goat visiting from a neighboring farm and I am very leery of him.  I carry a big stick when I have to go in the pen.  We haven't let Farm Manager Murphy near him for fear of enticing him more.

I hope you are feeling better today.  

and I hope Miss E is better too!

oof, i've been chased by angry cows (for just not being the person who milks them), and they are very, very formidable people. getting knocked down has to be pretty dramatic. poor elsie will get over it. she has to be ready for adventures this time of year, i expect. 

Thank you all for your well wishes.  Feeling pretty good this morning.  Elsie slept solidly on Jim's lap this morning.  She says that dealing with guilt is exhausting. :shy:  She was happy to see me up and attem'.  I better lay off lifting for another day and that's driving me nuts because the men will have my barn all screwed up by tomorrow.   

• Like 2

Elsie, Max, Meeko & Lori

Glad you are recovering well. This city girl had never heard of anyone getting hit by a cow before. I always learn something from you, Lori!!

Sorry you took the hit, Lori.

Years ago we were traveling through western Ireland, which is very barren.  We were hiking in a field towards the ocean, and came across a stile on which was posted "Warning: bull in pasture with cows."  We didn't go any further....glad they posted the warning.

Wish somehow you had had a warning too!

• Like 1

Oh wow, now that had to hurt, so glad that you weren't hurt too badly.  I can't even begin to imagine how strong a cow hit would be but I know that I wouldn't want to ever find out.  Hope Elsie is more herself today, poor little thing, she must have been worried sick about her mom.

Take care of yourself today!

• Like 1

Hope all with you both today. I'm so weakly I fell over when my DIL's Newf leaned against me. He's a big guy at 180lbs but nothing like a cow!

• Like 1

Yesterday at 4:00 in the afternoon Elsie was out taking her pp in the front yard.  All of a sudden 3 grown men came running to the house.  Jim was holding both hands in front of him and had blood streaming through.  The other man was carrying Jim's thumb and the third man had no idea what he was doing but was looking for a rag.  Elsie's pp break turning into another panic and she said, "Mom, I wasn't there!"  Poor little fart had to scamper in the house and that's all she knew till we returned home at 1 a.m.

Jim cut the tip of his thumb off.  Ran him to Sioux Falls to the emergency room - 2 hrs 10 min.  Last time he pulled this stunt with his finger we went to Watertown - 30 min - but weren't happy.  We are glad we went to Sioux Falls.  It's pretty slow around here today, but we are getting r' done.  In 10 days he gets the bandage off.  It's been a tuff 3 days. :(  Elsie just woke from a 2 hr nap with dad.

Elsie, Max, Meeko & Lori

Oh Lord, Lori!  I hope Jim will be OK!  Please pass along my get well wishes to him.  

Too much bad stuff has been happening there.  Thank heavens you are as tough as you are!

• Like 1

Poor Jim! Living on a farm with equipment and animals can be so hazardous . I hope they can sew his thumb back on! What a tough couple of weeks you all have experienced.

The farm manager and farm nurse no doubt are feeling the tension in the air of injured uprights.

Big hugs to you, Jim, Dempsey and Elsie.

• Like 1

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Adventures with Sam &Rosie

Good grief. Poor Jim. Poor you. Poor Else. Hope nothing more scary stuff happens anytime soon.  Recover quick!

• Like 1

It has been nuts.  The house looks like a war zone, which doesn't help.  I need to take small steps to put everything back to normal, but we are slow movin'.  Everybody knows things are out of whack.  I want poor Elsie to sleep with us, but right now we both need the bed for our backs and now Jim's arm.  Dempsy has been quiet too.  Kitty could care less. I ran out of dog food and had to pick some up with Jim's pain meds last night after the emergency room.  Dempsy was happy to have supper last night when we got home. 

Edited by Dempsy's Mom

Elsie, Max, Meeko & Lori

Oh no! What happened to Jim is horrible. So sorry for what you are going through. Hoping to read here that he recovers ok and that his thumb will heal. Let us know.

• Like 1

FEAR THE CAIRN!

"The farmer is the one who feeds us all," and risks backs and thumbs to do it.

Best wishes and woods for a speedy recovery for both of you.

• Like 5

It was a busy day for Elsie and Demps.  They were outside most of the day helping with watching the gates and chasing cattle in the gator.  I went to the chiropractor yesterday and I think I am ok now - my back feels like it is adjusted.  Jim is doing quite remarkable with his thumb or lack of.  We had some snow rows of corn - corn that we couldn't get combined from last fall - and today we took the combine out and finished 2014 harvest.  We have radios that we can talk back n' forth with in our tractors/combines and he found that keying the mike was hard to do.  Dempsy and Elsie think that it's neat to watch gates for dad. 

• Like 3

Elsie, Max, Meeko & Lori

I'm very glad to hear you are both managing things OK despite your injuries.  Thank heavens you have a good Farm Manager! :)

• Like 2