CairnTalk

Long Night

Dempsy's Mom

Yesterday morning I took Demps, Els and Kitty on our poo walk as normal.  Kitty did not follow us back in the house and Jim and I were leaving for the day to a farm show.  When we returned it was dark and there was no sign of kitty.  We locked up the buildings before we left, so there was no way she could of gotten in a building.  I yelled and yelled for kitty.

Elsie loves kitty and was concerned. Dempsy likes kitty, but could live without her.  I put everybody to bed, but it was a restless night.  At 3 a.m. Elsie was whining.  She was lonesome for kitty.  They sleep together.  So down the stairs I went - let Els out - and yelled for kitty again ... nothing.  Elsie finished her business and had no intention of going back to bed alone.  She trotted up the steps with me and wiggled in between us.  After about 10 minutes of wiggling around Elsie finally nestled in.

This morning I continued my search.  Found out that Jim's brother was here yesterday and went in the back door of the shop.  So out we all went, Elsie, Dempsy, Jim and I.  Opened up the door and yelled.  Nothing.  But wait ..... soon I heard a little meow and then it turned into a very loud scolding meow.  Kitty had spent the night in the combine.  She was filthy.  Elsie jumped on her right way to play, but kitty was ticked off and in no mood.

Gave kitty a bath.  The first in her life and she hated it.  She is almost dry now.  Her tummy is full and she is currently sitting on Elsie's bed grooming herself.  Like I have told you, I am not much of a cat person, but I would miss her now that she is part of the family.  Her temperament is just the sweetest.  All is back to normal.     

Edited by Dempsy's Mom
  • Like 5

Elsie, Max, Meeko & Lori

Can't imagine life on the farm without Elsie's special friend kitty!

I know how the heart stops when a buddy is missing. What joy when they are found. So happy family re-united :party:

Thank goodness all is back and in place like it should be. Phew, I also had a oh no moments, much like when you posted about wert.

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Adventures with Sam &Rosie

Aww poor Elsie missed her little friend :(  Kitty let you know she wasn't happy either :mad:  They are back together and happy. Elsie, Kitty and you can sleep well again.

I have a spare room where laundry and shoes are kept with the door closed so Malcolm can't get to them. There are times he sneaks in right past my feet when I go in there. Then I can't find him. I look all around the house calling him. Of course a Cairn will not say anything unless they want to. So I finally look in the spare room and there he is. He must think if he keeps quiet he can get in trouble without dad noticing.

• Like 4

Aww poor Elsie missed her little friend :(  Kitty let you know she wasn't happy either :mad:  They are back together and happy. Elsie, Kitty and you can sleep well again.

I have a spare room where laundry and shoes are kept with the door closed so Malcolm can't get to them. There are times he sneaks in right past my feet when I go in there. Then I can't find him. I look all around the house calling him. Of course a Cairn will not say anything unless they want to. So I finally look in the spare room and there he is. He must think if he keeps quiet he can get in trouble without dad noticing.

I'm glad Kitty and Elsie are safe and happy again. I can just imagine how perturbed Kitty was. 

Funny you should mention how quiet a cairn is when he doesn't want to say something.  That reminds me of one of Nikki's puppy escapades. Our couch has a couple of foot recliners built in. We never use them but one day I had the footrest up while taking a phone call. Mr. Nosey Rose Nikki decided to investigate the "cave" under the couch while  I was talking.  I lowered the footrest after I ended the call and walked away.  After a while, I noticed that my fuzzy buddy was missing. I called him, squeaked a toy, offered a treat. Clapped my hands and clucked. Nothing. Not a peep  I knew he could not have gotten outside so I rang the doorbell.  The couch woofed once in response.   Mystery solved! Haha! 

• Like 5

"...so I rang the doorbell.  The couch woofed once in response".

Very clever, Lupinegirl! It's like calling a misplaced cell phone from the landline so it will ring and tell you where it is! ;)                                                                    

By the way, Ruffy does the same "silent" act… Is this unique to cairns or do other canines share this (frustrating) trait? When I finally find him, he gives me that full-on stare that seems to say..."So?"

The next time Ruffy does this, I'll be sure to use your "doorbell trick!" :thumbsup:

Edited by sanford
  • Like 2

FEAR THE CAIRN!

My DH uses the doorbell thing with Rosie often when she isn't visible. However it does get hilarious because as he rings the bell, he is saying "oh hello, hello, oh who is here, hello....Rosie falls for it each time. I think the neighbours have come to the conclusion that they live with crazy dog people.:)

• Like 1

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Adventures with Sam &Rosie