CairnTalk

If you stay still maybe Angus will leave you alone

Hillscreek

It's gorgeous here today. Bright sunlight, a few inches of fluffy new snow, brilliant blue sky, about 28F. Got Angus his orange harness, in case the odd hunter still around, and put Musher's Secret on tiny paws. He's very good while I do this - must have learned a lesson about freezing feet in snow and ice!

Put Jeep in four wheel drive and off we go to our favorite field. Away he runs. He spends an unusual amount of time in the brush running in and out. I figure something is up. He quits and we go on our walk. He takes joyful forays around in the open field. Runs in the woods. Super fun.

On our way back this unusual activity starts again. This time followed by barking, jumping from different angles. Then big growls and more barking. Finally I see a very large porcupine - a grandpa, crouched in among the small branches and undergrowth. He must weigh 40+lbs.
He's turned his back to Angus. Oh no I say to myself looking at that tail so full of quills that come loose so easily.

Angus has been skunked once but never been close to a porcupine. He didn't know what to do. It never moved.

Movement is what triggers Angus to chase, pounce, bite, kill. I didn't know what to do either because I couldn't get under the low brush. I watched for a while. Porcupine so still Angus bouncing all around barking and growling. I knew he would not heed me if I called him.

Well there was nothing I could do really so I walked on. After a bit things got quieter, after a bit longer, quieter still. I took a chance and called him to me. Nothing for a bit, then some rustling in the hedgerow and out pops Angus, with his bright shiny eyes smiling up at me."Hey Angus good boy!" I says giving him a treat as I put his leash back on.
There's not even one quill in that little cairn nose. I'm so thankful as we head back to the Jeep.I remember a JRT we had who got stuck with so many quills on face and shoulders it took two of us more than two hours to get them out.

We get back home happy, tired and quill free. Just too bad I didn't have camera or video with me which I guess I should always do as adventures are always round the corner where we walk!

• Like 6

...He didn't know what to do. It never moved. Movement is what triggers Angus to chase, pounce, bite, kill...

Now I get it! I never understood why Ruffy never tries to go after the squirrels when they stand still, but will chase them relentlessly when they run, even trying to scale up the trees after them. I always figured that he had a really, really, bad hunting technique! Thanks, Hillscreek for letting me know that his style is just a Cairn thing!  

P.S. Whew! I was holding my heath when I read your story—expecting the worst… Glad Angus returned unscathed!

Edited by sanford

FEAR THE CAIRN!

Dear Angus' mommy:

I am very glad to hear that Angus didn't get poked by the porcupine. 

I am very disappointed to hear that you did not take video. I have not been able to update my Angus shrine in AGES.

Addie

...He didn't know what to do. It never moved. Movement is what triggers Angus to chase, pounce, bite, kill...

Now I get it! I never understood why Ruffy never tries to go after the squirrels when they stand still, but will chase them relentlessly when they run, even trying to scale up the trees after them. I always figured that he had a really, really, bad hunting technique! Thanks, Hillscreek for letting me know that his style is just a Cairn thing!  

Yep, Addie definitely does the same. 

• Like 2

"as far as i am concerned cairns are the original spirit from which all terriers spring, and all terriers are cairns very deep down inside." pkcrossley

Also have been using the Mushers Secret on Pegi's paws.  Here in Mass. winter started a few weeks ago; first temps in the teens and below, now weather pattern has changed and we are actually getting snow.  Pegi loves it; uprights not so much.

Linda & Pegi

Wow, talk about a close call, glad Angus made it out of the brush quill free.  Maisie will stare at the squirrels and not chase until the run, however, Tess sees a squirrel and she's in hot pursuit.