CairnTalk

Follow-up to Buffy's attack - finally some action!

hheldorfer

Since Buffy's attack by the Rottweiler and Pit Bull in late September two more dogs have been attacked.  The last incident occurred on Christmas Eve.  Everyone involved has gotten together, traded information and, thanks to the owner of Harley (the last victim), we have had some news coverage to highlight the problem.  It started with an article in a local online newspaper on January 1st. Yesterday Fox News Chicago got wind of the story and came here to film a report which was broadcast on the 9:00 news.  Here is a link to the story:

http://www.myfoxchicago.com/story/27751022/joliet-residents-concerned-after-neighborhood-dog-attacks

We have spoken with Detective Clement of the Joliet Police Department several times.  He is spearheading the effort to get the dogs removed and is having a hearing scheduled for the week of January 12th.

As for our vet bill - which was never paid despite the fact the dogs' owners said they would be responsible - nothing further has yet been done.  To file a claim in small claims court would cost a minimum of $200, including filing fee and the additional expense of having a summons issued.  Even then, assuming the judge would find in our favor, there is no guarantee of getting our money.  To collect we would probably have to file more paperwork (and pay more fees) to have the owners' wages garnished.  So that is on hold for right now.  

• Like 2

Publicity sure makes things move along. Buffy, now a TV star, looked very cool. What dreadful injuries that one dog had poor thing. Hopefully this will help get those neighborhood terrors removed. Way to go Helene.

Unbelievable that it takes this many attacks before the authorities start to take some action...but glad it's happening, for the safety of all that live in the neighbourhood, uprights and four legged.

Buffy is so sweet.i,love that little Cairn swagger.

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Adventures with Sam &Rosie

beautiful footage of buffy. she was so lucky to have recovered. clearly harley is lucky to be alive. did the one lady say her dog was attacked by three dogs?? it also seems strange that the woman who evidently owns the problem dogs had one dog looking out the window that didn't particularly look like a rottweiler or a pit bull. did she have three dogs before and get rid of the two who attacked buffy? people who let their dogs get into this kind of trouble and subject their neighbors to so much pain and worry are the real problem. how the local police can just never get around to doing anything about them is kind of mysterious. 

Thank goodness and finally!  It is horrid that it had to take another two attacks for real action to be taken. Ron and Buffy were stars on the video. :)

My mind has been blown so many times lately by various injustices that absolutely nothing surprises me anymore.  I wouldn't be surprised if they had a policy/chart on the wall to define when they take action:

3 dogs or 1 baby or 2 people over 90 = investigation  :mad:

• Like 1

beautiful footage of buffy. she was so lucky to have recovered. clearly harley is lucky to be alive. did the one lady say her dog was attacked by three dogs?? it also seems strange that the woman who evidently owns the problem dogs had one dog looking out the window that didn't particularly look like a rottweiler or a pit bull. did she have three dogs before and get rid of the two who attacked buffy? people who let their dogs get into this kind of trouble and subject their neighbors to so much pain and worry are the real problem. how the local police can just never get around to doing anything about them is kind of mysterious. 

The entire situation is a puzzlement, PK.  I spoke to Detective Clement yesterday evening.  He had actually succeeded in getting Ms. Vavrik (the attack dogs' owner) to answer the door - the woman and her boyfriend are notorious for hiding in the house and refusing to answer the door when these incidents occur.  There are currently two dogs in the house (both seen by Det. Clement) - the pit bull and a terrier mix.  She *claims* they returned the Rott to his original owner (who she *claims* lives out of state) on December 23rd.  This, of course, makes no sense because there was another attack on the 24th.  She has changed her story multiple times and nobody can sort it out.  Obviously she is finding herself in a deep pile of doo-doo and can't even keep her own story straight.

I believe the lady who said her dog was attacked by three dogs is partially correct:  Three dogs were present during Buffy's attack too, but only the pit and the rott were involved.

The law in Joliet is that two tickets must be issued in cases such as these before a "dangerous dog hearing" is scheduled.  Why nothing was done after the second attack is anyone's guess.  I know all of us - me, the Swanson's and Sarah - have all raised as much ruckus as possible to get something done.

• Like 4

It's just awful those people are getting away with this degree of negligence, and that's a polite word for it.

I'm glad you finally get your day in court.  Hope these irresponsible owners don't weasel out of

admitting to their guilt in this matter and maybe start to do the right thing.

Max and Nelly
signature.jpg.1a2f02ae93418630654caf879c6d4783.jpg

They must have three dogs then, the Rotti, the Pit Bull and a Terrier of some sort and I'll bet anything that they are hiding the Rotti somewhere else.  I'm so glad that the authorities are finally getting around to doing something about it, it's so distressing that it has to take 3 incidents for a hearing to be held.

Harley looks like he was hurt pretty badly, poor dog.  Btw, Buffy looked just stunning on her television debut. :thumbsup:

Buffy was the portrait of walking perfection in that video! People are going to get the wrong idea about Cairns and heeling! 

I'm so sorry that your family and those other dogs have had to deal with this situation and so glad to see that all appear to be recovering well. Good on you and the others who faced these attacks for standing up for yourselves with the authorities and making a ruckus to make sure your grievances were heard. You are doing a lot to make that a safer neighborhood for everyone. 

As a big lover of all dogs, including breeds like Pits and Rotties, it infuriates me to see negligent owners like this subjecting their neighborhoods to danger and their dogs to lives attacking other dogs and inevitably ending up being put to sleep for behavior that could have been prevented with better ownership. 

Buffy, Addie wants you to know that not all Pit Bulls are like this! Some of her best friends at daycare are Pitties; including Fluffy Puppy, who comes into daycare in the winter wearing a faux fur leopard print coat. 

• Like 1

"as far as i am concerned cairns are the original spirit from which all terriers spring, and all terriers are cairns very deep down inside." pkcrossley

Buffy looked beautiful in that video. I can't believe that it's taking so long for someone in authority to do something about these dangerous dogs. Being a dog owner is a big responsibility and owning a powerful breed is an even bigger responsibility. Just the other week my husband and I were walking Fearghus around the park when we encountered a young man and his pittie. He didn't have a very good hold of the leash and the pittie lunged at Fearghus. I yelled at the young man to grab his dog. Fortunately all ended well but all three of us humans were a bit shaken.

Here's hoping that soon they'll come to take away the problem dogs so that Buffy and the other dogs can walk the neighborhood in peace once again.

Cheers,

Tami

"Buffy was the portrait of walking perfection in that video! People are going to get the wrong idea about Cairns and heeling!"

Ha!  She was a long way from a proper heel but she thanks you for the compliment.  She always has a certain bounce in her step when she gets to go somewhere alone (without Ziggy) with her daddy.

"Buffy, Addie wants you to know that not all Pit Bulls are like this! Some of her best friends at daycare are Pitties; including Fluffy Puppy, who comes into daycare in the winter wearing a faux fur leopard print coat." 

Buffy has played with Pits at the dog park and had no problem.  I don't think she associates the attack with *all* Pits or *all* Rotties; she knows it was those specific dogs on that specific section of the street.  

• Like 3

Those are some serious wounds. Very scary.

I hope that you get the resolution that you want. Unfortunately that will probably mean the attacking dogs will be put down, when it really should be the owners for not training their dogs properly. But the safety of the neighborhood must rule.

Sassy Jan 22, 2005

AM. CH. THARRBARR LITE MY FIRE ZOMERHOF

I hope that this continues to work toward your favor and that of the other dogs (and owners) that were attacked.

Buffy certainly liked the spotlight!  too cute!!

Good job you guys!  Sorry, but I hope you get your neighborhood back.

Buffy - you rock!  You look like a little tuff nut. :)  Love it!

Elsie, Max, Meeko & Lori

• 2 weeks later...

It has been a long day.  The dangerous dog hearing took place at 1:00 this afternoon and lasted for almost 3 hours.  All the dog owners whose dogs were attacked were there along with a few other neighbors.  Long story short, all of the dogs in the home were declared dangerous.  The Rott was supposedly given to someone else, which is a serious offense.  The offending dogs' owner claims she doesn't know where the dog is other than "somewhere in Indiana".  She was told that she needs to find out where the dog is located and action needs to be taken ASAP.  The Pit Bull has been impounded by Animal Control and will be held for 7 days, during which time the dog's owner has to comply with city ordinances re: dangerous dogs - special liability insurance, adequate containment for the dog, etc..  The third and smallest dog is being allowed to stay in the home but will also have to be restrained and insured.

The owner of the attack dogs blubbered through most of the hearing, accused everyone of "hating" her, called us liars, claimed she was going to pay everyone's vet bills as soon as she gets her tax refund, claimed she had only two dogs . . . then admitted to three dogs . . . in other words, made a fool of herself in front of the judge.  

I'm glad it's over.  When I have more energy and time I plan to write a bit more and post what I have learned so if anyone else here finds himself/herself in this situation, they will be better prepared.

• Like 5

Congrats Helene and Buffy! :)  Justice has been well and truly served. Let's all hope she quickly complies with all the orders. Let it be an expensive lesson to her (and to anyone else she cares to whine to) that you just can't be so incredibly irresponsible to let your dogs run amuck  and terrorize a neighborhood without serious repercussions.

I'm so glad this is over for you all. Congrats!

(although I have my doubts the dog owner will comply)

If she cannot prove compliance within 7 days the Pit Bull will be euthanized and I believe the one dog remaining in the home will be impounded.

I am glad too that it is all over. You and the others who have suffered will be able to relax a bit more now on dog walks but I think you will still be more alert and watchful than before!

www.cairnterriertalk.co.uk

You have done wonderfully Helene and Buffy. Congratulations for staying with it and seeing things through.

Write it up in a blog - easy to find that way.

It's to bad they can't band her from owning any more dogs.  It is obvious she is a bit out of touch.  Glad it is behind you.  Whew, what an experience.

Elsie, Max, Meeko & Lori